Mander Organ Builders Forum

Nairobi Cathedral

DHM

Does anyone have information (e.g. builder, specification) on the organ of All Saints Cathedral, Nairobi (Kenya)?
It is said to be one of the largest in Africa, installed in 1934 and enlarged in 1955. That is all I know.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DHM
omission

The organ is by E H Lawton of Aberdeen, as you say, 1934, and further worked on by J W Walker & Sons in 1955.   I can’t offer a specification but this link provides considerably more information, and the YouTube video includes close-up views of the three-manual console with ‘sharks teeth’ tab stops (are these Walker’s? - that was my first reaction). Refreshingly, the console retains the builder’s plates of both Lawton and Walker.

https://www.allsaintsnairobi.org/the-organ-restoration-project/

The organ was restored and reinstalled by Michael Farley in January/February of this year and the specification was extended, but I don't know any more than that - and I haven't been able to find a website that helps much. It might be worth contacting him or the Cathedral musicians themselves.

Many thanks to all of you who responded. We now have the full story.

As Keitha said above, the restoration was completed earlier this year by Michael Farley.The consultant was Paul Hale.

Paul wrote an article on it for Organists’ Review, a PDF copy of which can be found on Paul’s website.