Mander Organ Builders Forum

Armchair wanderings, Denmark - Hald Ege Kirke

peterdoughty

This is an utterly inconsequential post, but let's see where it leads us in terms of enjoyment, if anywhere. As the nights are now drawing in, I picked up my trusty old copy of M.R. James's ghost stories, opening it at the entertaining Number 13, which starts as follows:

Among the towns of Jutland, Viborg justly holds a high place. It is the seat of a bishopric; it has a handsome but almost entirely new cathedral, a charming garden, a lake of great beauty, and many storks. Near it is Hald, accounted one of the prettiest things in Denmark; and hard by is Finderup, where Marsk Stig murdered King Erik Glipping on St Cecilia’s Day, in the year 1286. Fifty-six blows of square-headed iron maces were traced on Erik’s skull when his tomb was opened in the seventeenth century. But I am not writing a guide-book.

Upon searching on Google Maps for Viborg, you'll find several places of interest including the cathedral he mentions, and it's worth having a wander around the environs on Street View. Finderup church looks lovely. I was most intrigued, though, by his special mention of Hald - I poked around and think James must've been referring to the area around a lake and its neighbouring manor house, which does indeed look delightful, and now functions as a centre for writers and translators.

'But I am not writing a guide-book.'

The reason I'm posting this is simply because, in the brief amount of poking around I've done online, I've found a 1960s church, Hald Ege Kirke, with a rather spare and beautiful design, housing a quirky little organ of five stops whose pedal pipes wrap around either side and partially enclose the console. (That link will hopefully show you a photo of the instrument and allow you to browse more pics of the church itself. I am not a churchgoer but I love the flavour of the place.) And I thought, hmm, I wonder if they'd like to see it on the Mander forum? So here we are.

No details on the specification that I've been able to find, but the Wikipedia article mentions that the instrument was a gift from the builder Frede Aagaard and dates from 1980. Again, I can't find anything about that builder. I just liked the look of the instrument, and was interested in the environs. That's all!

As you were...

As a fellow fan of M R James's ghost stories, I found this very interesting.

I have often thought about dragging my wife along on holiday to Denmark, a country we have never visited, and exploring such churches and organs including those you mention.
However, of particular interest to me would be a visit to, or even a stay at, the Golden Lion in Viborg (if any such place really exists) if only to see for myself if the disappearing 'Room 13' really does exist!

8 hours ago, peterdoughty said:

The reason I'm posting this is simply because, in the brief amount of poking around I've done online, I've found a 1960s church, Hald Ege Kirke, with a rather spare and beautiful design, housing a quirky little organ of five stops whose pedal pipes wrap around either side and partially enclose the console. (That link will hopefully show you a photo of the instrument and allow you to browse more pics of the church itself. I am not a churchgoer but I love the flavour of the place.) And I thought, hmm, I wonder if they'd like to see it on the Mander forum? So here we are.

I thought that to be stunningly beautiful - and very Danish! Many thanks for posting it!

I've always thought the Danish people to be remarkably civilised. I don't know Denmark very well but I was in Aarhaus the day of Her Majesties death last year. The Queen of the Danes, Margrethe II, graciously allowed the UK National Anthem to be played before a concert there!

After a bit of digging I've found that the organ pictured dates from 1980 and is by Bruno Christensen & Sons.

https://bruno-christensen.dk/orgel-arkiv/hald-ege-kirke/

Frede Aagaard installed an earlier organ in 1968 shortly after the church was built, but this was removed when the newer organ was installed.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frede_Aagaard

25 minutes ago, Choir Man said:

Frede Aagaard installed an earlier organ in 1968 shortly after the church was built, but this was removed when the newer organ was installed.

A link from the Wikipedia article gives the reason for this:

Due to a misunderstanding between the organ builder and the architect, the organ was given a different foundation and a different location in the room than intended by Frede [Aagaard], resulting in unstable operation. After a long series of calls and repairs, the organ was taken down in 1980 and replaced by another.

It was his only organ installed outside Sweden.

Paul