Mander Organ Builders Forum

Proms `24

Just an observation.    One solo organ recital.    Only other event which involves the use of the instrument is in The Sixteen  concert, in which it will accompany " choral majesty of Victorian times "   ( sic )      Wow, I think not.

At least the organ solo concert will be performed by a tip top guy who hails from  oop North, namely , Manchester.

8 hours ago, Adnosad said:

At least the organ solo concert will be performed by a tip top guy who hails from  oop North, namely , Manchester.

Jonathan Scott played for us here in Saffron Walden early June and included the 1812 Overture which he is playing at the prom concert. It will be fab. A thoroughly nice guy 

11 hours ago, Adnosad said:

Just an observation.    One solo organ recital.    Only other event which involves the use of the instrument is in The Sixteen  concert, in which it will accompany " choral majesty of Victorian times "   ( sic )      Wow, I think not.

Not quite correct!

There is a big organ part in Janacek's Msa glagolskaja (Prom 50) played by Christian Schmitt. And the entry of the organ in the last movement of Elgar's Enigma (Prom 53) is a moment to savour!! I suspect the organ will be used to 'prop up' the singing on the Last Night too!

Disagree. I did not bother to mention those pieces in which the organ is basically  used for augmenting the bass line. 

Obviously I did not stress the point of mentioning the  use of the  organ for  SOLO  performances instead of  as an artillery accompaniment for  added effect. like you so correctly state, " to prop up the singing/bellowing on the last night ". Which conveniently brings me to my final point re` " matters prom ";  I refer to a letter in the RT (20/26/07 ) in which the writer suggests. I have slightly edited the original  here for the sake of brevity but it still makes for a good debate.

" it is high time this event moved away from long, tedious symphonies "

and,

"Hopefully the " intellectual classical content will continue to diminish so that more people can actually enjoy them "

No, I was not the writer of this. Just commenting .

I appear not to be making my thoughts on this absolutely crystal clear.

I am attempting to state the lack of actual organ recitals in the Proms itinerary.

No one more than myself is aware of the use of the instrument  in other works , as so splendidly illustrated by the enclosed vid. Very impressed by the performer.   My favourite rendition of this work however would have be the version with  JPS as " soloist " but other performances are equally excellent.

I would also include works by Poulenc, Jongen et.al in which the organ certainly soars to moments of sheer brilliance for more than a couple of minutes; but I am banging on about its use as a stand alone.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, SomeChap said:

Quick note to say I'm at the Jonathan Scott prom right now and it is joyous and spectacular. There are thousands of people here. There is a lot of thumbing-down going  on ...

By the way, by 'thumbing down', I of course meant the technique of playing simultaneously on three keyboards by using the thumb on the middle one, not this 👎!

Sorry I was writing very quickly in my phone keyboard.

Thanks to @SlowOrg for the bbc sounds link. JS utterly brought the house down. The Ives Variations on America sounded like they were written for this player and this organ.  The Tchaikovsky 1812 shook Kensington.

We were also given a whistle stop tour / demo of the organ's departments and stops - excellent audience engagement: friendly and gently funny without being glib; just enough speaking to bring people in and not too much to upstage the actual music. My primary-age kids loved it. Even more unusually, my wife loved it Everybody loved it.

It was one of the best Proms I've been to, never mind one of the best organ recitals.

SC

Ps. The organ also featured gloriously the previous evening in the Strauss Alpine Symphony, played by Richard Pearce and accompanied by the BBC Symphony Orchestra 🫡.

So,by your estimation the hall had a capacity crowd then ?    This is excellent news!    Scotties audiences at his recitals at  The Bridgewater Hall are pretty well attended too.

Yes, the recital was a rare pleasure to listen to at home .   I rigged up two sound systems playing back through 6 speakers so was able to reproduce an effect comparable to actually " being there ".   As I was blasting away at vol 11 I could not help but smile broadly  to myself as I imagined ( only for a moment though ! ) of the snorts of disgust emanating from the pinched little faces of  those members of The Baroque Club. No matter; this was an in your face, full red blooded performance of the highest order.

No further comments required here as to the programme and its rendition.  Have to say the Chaminade was most definitely a " little breath of fresh air " - to quote  Carlo!

Worth mentioning the " taster " the Scott Bros put up on  YT prior to the show.  The highlight of this was the 0700hrs mini performance on that delightful little instrument installed for use by anybody who can play the organ at London Bridge Underground.

Finally didn`t you just love the unashamedly unabashed reference to previous great gluts which have graced the RAH organ bench - Saint Saens, Bruckner, and the greatest of them all ( roll of drums here "   )  WTB who  " Simply Was The Best ".      

If you ever find yourself in Liverpool, toddle up to Childwall churchyard and pay homage to the legends unassuming stone which covers his remains.  In death as in life, no fuss, less frills

Taxi!!

I am not going to contradict you on this one!    I reckon that you are correct.

The inf` that I  have gleaned on him is somewhat scanty, save for the usual well worn anecdotes.

Maybe you could possibly furnish a few more details .

Regardless, he was possibly the finest organist that this country has ever produced.

To have been at  Sydney  Town Hall for the opening recitals given by him must have been something else!!

19 hours ago, Adnosad said:

I am not going to contradict you on this one!    I reckon that you are correct.

The inf` that I  have gleaned on him is somewhat scanty, save for the usual well worn anecdotes.

Maybe you could possibly furnish a few more details .

Regardless, he was possibly the finest organist that this country has ever produced.

To have been at  Sydney  Town Hall for the opening recitals given by him must have been something else!!

Dictionary of National Biography, 1901 supplement/Best, William Thomas

On 13/08/2024 at 11:58, Bruce Buchanan said:

Well, he was in Childwall along with his daughter the last time I was there. He was organist at West Derby PC

He is buried at Childwall.  My mum showed me his grave when I was very young.  He had been organist of a church in Wallasey where her family had connections.

• 3 weeks later...