Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Organ In Formby

Peter Clark

For an all-purpose spec of 21 stops I'd call that close to ideal. And how nice to see a Swell 8' diapason. The Swell 19th looks like a neat idea - presumably the Mixture has only one break at most.

Yes, it does look quite sensible. The only changes which I would wish to make (even without hearing it first) are:

PEDAL ORGAN

Quint 10 2/3p (from Bourdon)

GREAT ORGAN

Gamba 8p (in place of the Sesquialtera II)

Harmonic Flute 4p (in place of the Open Flute 4p)

SWELL ORGAN

Hautboy 8p (in place of the Nineteenth 1 1/3p)

I'm a little bemused by the modern trend to specify a flageolet as the only 2' stop on a swell organ. I always assume a flageolet to be a flute rather than a principal, and given the absence of a 4' flute it seems a strange choice in preference to either a fifteenth or possibly a gemshorn. Whats the thinking here?

I'm a little bemused by the modern trend to specify a flageolet as the only 2' stop on a swell organ. I always assume a flageolet to be a flute rather than a principal, and given the absence of a 4' flute it seems a strange choice in preference to either a fifteenth or possibly a gemshorn. Whats the thinking here?

Maybe the 15th in the mixture compensates in a chorus context and if the 2' is fairly narrow it could work both ways. I've seen it done this way before with a fairly low mixture that has a 2' in all the way up.

AJJ

Maybe the 15th in the mixture compensates in a chorus context and if the 2' is fairly narrow it could work both ways. I've seen it done this way before with a fairly low mixture that has a 2' in all the way up.

AJJ

I grew up in Formby & played this organ's predecessor at length. I think the building must have the dullest non-acoustic of any I've ever met. The previous organ was foul - the fact that it was buried deep in a chamber was possibly its most or only redeeming feature. Around 1970 we tried to liven it up a little. It is my guess (merely my guess) that a little quite gentle & refined upperwork in the new organ was an attempt to deal with the appalling acoustic problem.

Peter Godden