Mander Organ Builders Forum

Single Pieces Now Only Available In Albums

Peter Clark

As I wrote earlier, I was unable to purchase a copy of Jenkins Trumpeting Organ Morgan as it is now out of print or rather only available in an album. This is not the first time a publisher has withdrawn a piece and reissued it in album form so that you have to pay about £15 more than you would have wished for one piece. OUP did this with Matthias Toccata Giocosa. In both cases fortunately people came to my rescue as they had spares ... but is this really a fair way of doing things? I imagine that students especially, being on a tight budget, would find it particularly annoying. :angry:

Peter

I assume the considerations are the same as for choral music. Many years ago, when OUP were revising and expanding their “Tudor Church Music” series they had plans to issue revised editions of the morning and evening canticles from Thomas Caustun’s so-called short service together with the (really rather abysmal) Communion service – the whole service in other words. They were undecided whether to issue it as one, two or three items and I am fairly certain that the considerations were focused purely on what was financially viable. In the event it never appeared because OUP pulled the plug on the whole series, finding the returns on such publications insufficient to compete with the growing trend of publishing music on the net. Even then they were more interested in publishing anthologies – because people do actually buy them.

I find this deeply regrettable because, with a few honourable exceptions, editions of early music available on the net are nearly always of inferior quality (and I happen to think that the best receoverable text matters), but that’s economics for you.

One annoying example is the beautiful Duruflé Prélude sur l'Introït de l'Épiphanie, which is only available in a Schola Cantorum album costing over £20. I wouldn't mind if the rest of the album was interesting, but the other pieces seem fairly inconsequential. :)

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

If anyone has a copy of Trumpeting Organ Morgan going spare, please PM me

Thanks!

PS - And / or the Durufle for that matter!

Guest Cynic
If anyone has a copy of Trumpeting Organ Morgan going spare, please PM me

Thanks!

PS - And / or the Durufle for that matter!

You mean you don't believe the chorus of disapproval that came on this forum when Karl Jenkins and his works were discussed last year? Good for you.

Yes, the Durufle Prelude was the classic example that came to mind as soon as I saw the title to this thread.

The other piece that falls into this category is Arvo Part's Pari Intervallo that is streets ahead of the rest of the stuff in that particular book.

M

'Yes, the Durufle Prelude was the classic example that came to mind as soon as I saw the title to this thread.'

Another one that comes to mind is Fete by Langlais. When I got it the only version was in a collection.

Jonathan

'Yes, the Durufle Prelude was the classic example that came to mind as soon as I saw the title to this thread.'

Another one that comes to mind is Fete by Langlais. When I got it the only version was in a collection.

Jonathan

Yes, and my copy of the album with Langlais' Fête in was probably the worst-bound book ever. It's amazing how hard the memory cells have to work when you realise, just a little too late, that the last page has not stayed attached enough to make it out of the briefcase!

Another irritation, possible more irritating than the album full of pieces you'll probably never play, is when the album is full of pieces (except the one) you alreay have - twice.

This is particularly true of Anthem Books - how many different anthem books with 'Lead me Lord' in does a church need?!?!