Mander Organ Builders Forum

Fanfare For Francis

Martin Cooke

I think it was on a post here that I heard about this excellent new volume which I have subsequently purchased (in fact, I bought two by accident), and I wonder whether anyone else has tried it. Some of it isn't all that easy, I must say, but there is plenty of it and with one possible exception (I'll keep its identity to myself for now) it is all good quality and worth having a go at. I know there's been an awful lot of comment about Tubas and that for some members the word is all but unmentionable. I was brought up on the St Paul's Tubas and think you'd have to go a long way to knock the chancel tuba ands tuba clarion there. Still, the York one really is a bit of a bruiser isn't it? Dare I even say that I don't like it... at all? It never occured to me in the good old days of the KIng of Instruments LP with FJ playing the Cocker that it was such a whopper, but I suppose I was just listening on our little Bush gramophone and it didn't overwhelm. However, overwhelm it certainly does in JS-W's recording which comes free with this album. Anyway, has anyone else tried the music?

Martin

I think it was on a post here that I heard about this excellent new volume which I have subsequently purchased (in fact, I bought two by accident), and I wonder whether anyone else has tried it. Some of it isn't all that easy, I must say, but there is plenty of it and with one possible exception (I'll keep its identity to myself for now) it is all good quality and worth having a go at. I know there's been an awful lot of comment about Tubas and that for some members the word is all but unmentionable. I was brought up on the St Paul's Tubas and think you'd have to go a long way to knock the chancel tuba ands tuba clarion there. Still, the York one really is a bit of a bruiser isn't it? Dare I even say that I don't like it... at all? It never occured to me in the good old days of the KIng of Instruments LP with FJ playing the Cocker that it was such a whopper, but I suppose I was just listening on our little Bush gramophone and it didn't overwhelm. However, overwhelm it certainly does in JS-W's recording which comes free with this album. Anyway, has anyone else tried the music?

Martin

============================

I think the York Tuba is a bit like a fair organ....you either like it or loathe it.

With two notes barely the same tonally, it is a badly regulated, mangled mess of a stop, but that is a part of the experience.

You first chuckle at it's absurdity, but after a while, fall in love with it. It isn't at all in character with the rest of the instrument, it is extremely vulgar and very loud, but there's something about it!

With very large nave congregations, it's sole use is to keep people in check, which happens every Christmas Eve at the carol service.

Like "Betty's" cafe, Bank's music shop, and the "Ghost Trail," it wouldn't be quite York without the Minster Tuba, and it should be listed as a national treasure, just as it is.

MM

Like "Betty's" cafe, Bank's music shop, and the "Ghost Trail," it wouldn't be quite York without the Minster Tuba, and it should be listed as a national treasure, just as it is.

MM

Given the declarations on other threads in this forum, a mention of a visit to the National Railway Museum (free (to my surprise and delight)) is also probably part of the "York Experience" to many of us!!

I think the York Tuba is a bit like a fair organ....you either like it or loathe it.

With two notes barely the same tonally, it is a badly regulated, mangled mess of a stop, but that is a part of the experience.

You first chuckle at it's absurdity, but after a while, fall in love with it. It isn't at all in character with the rest of the instrument, it is extremely vulgar and very loud, but there's something about it!

With very large nave congregations, it's sole use is to keep people in check, which happens every Christmas Eve at the carol service.

MM

Hear, hear. 'One o't sights o' Yorkshire', as someone once quoted.

As no-one has dared to remove it or change it for over eighty years, it must have some merit!

John