Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organists And Pianists

Vox Humana

There's an interesting one. Speaking for myself, I am quite mediocre as a Pianist. I lack much of the extra control needed to sound musical.

Organ and piano are totally different, and obviously require totally different approaches.

I admire those who can manage both.

R

I admire those who can manage either!

I believe GTB was the first Englishman to play it. Rachmaninoff gave the UK première himself.

Apologies - you're quite right and therefore proof that we shouldn't rely on others' records of such things :blink:

I've been sleuthing (actually, a conversation with the archivist at the RCM did the trick!):

The first AND second performances in the UK were by indeed given by Rachmaninov himself - the first in Liverpool in October 1911 under the baton of one Simon Speilman; the second on the 7th of November 1911 at the Queens Hall, London under Mengelberg.

The Thalben performance was, as James G says, the first by an Englishman, at the RCM on the 13th December 1915.

This doesn't of course dilute the matter of GTB's abilities in that direction.

DW

Apologies - you're quite right and therefore proof that we shouldn't rely on others' records of such things :blink:

I've been sleuthing (actually, a conversation with the archivist at the RCM did the trick!):

The first AND second performances in the UK were by indeed given by Rachmaninov himself - the first in Liverpool in October 1911 under the baton of one Simon Speilman; the second on the 7th of November 1911 at the Queens Hall, London under Mengelberg.

The Thalben performance was, as James G says, the first by an Englishman, at the RCM on the 13th December 1915.

This doesn't of course dilute the matter of GTB's abilities in that direction.

DW

Well done on the research, David. Now who's going to correct Wikipedia (see the History section)?

Sorry to be pedantic, but are you sure GTB was an Englishman?

Ian

According to Jonathan Rennert's book GTB was born in Sydney of Cornish parents, returned to UK aged three. I don't know what that made him - technically Australian I would think.

R