Mander Organ Builders Forum

Use Of Quotes

gerco1956

Dear all,

May I put in the suggestion - and I hope mr. Mander does agree - to leave out quotes in your replies?

The original text is always on top, and the structure of the replies can be seen very clear.

The good thing about this is, that one can read the first line of the reply posts, instead of "quote: ....".

Kind regards,

Gerco Schaap (NL)

The thing is, once a thread has had several different points made by different people, you need a quote to make it clear who and what you are replying to. However, I do agree that probably all of us could exercise more discretion about using the quote facility. We have had more than one thread where a long first post has been quoted in its entirety by the second poster. This is quite pointless in my view.

Sorry to play the net nanny. I shall shut up now.

Dear all,

May I put in the suggestion - and I hope mr. Mander does agree - to leave out quotes in your replies?

The original text is always on top, and the structure of the replies can be seen very clear.

The good thing about this is, that one can read the first line of the reply posts, instead of "quote: ....".

Kind regards,

Gerco Schaap (NL)

I just couldn't resist doing this! :PB)

I think Vox's suggestion absolutely sensible.

Now, could some bright computer-literate person please inform me if there's an easy way to quote from two different postings if I want to reply to them both in one of my own postings, please? I've seen it done from time to time, so it must be possible. Thanks!

I may be wrong, but I don't think this software allows multiple quotes. If I need to do it, I press the reply button on the first quote, copy it, return to the thread, hit the reply button to the second post I want to quote, then paste the first reply above the second, then insert my comments in the relevant places. That's probably as clear as mud!

If I need to do it, I press the reply button on the first quote, copy it, return to the thread, hit the reply button to the second post I want to quote, then paste the first reply above the second, then insert my comments in the relevant places. That's probably as clear as mud!

Yes, like this one. Reply to a dedicate post, removing what is not needed, then copy/ paste:

"Just do a Quote / Reply but then delete anything irrelevant in the quoted text."

(Quote)

....From the other one.

Pierre

You can always selectively quote a section from a previous post (see above). Just do a Qoute / Reply but then delete anything irrelevant in the quoted text.

I've found that if you reply to one thing and then hit Post, and then immediately go and press reply to another...

Yes, like this one. Reply to a dedicate post, removing what is not needed, then copy/ paste:

"Just do a Quote / Reply but then delete anything irrelevant in the quoted text."

(Quote)

....From the other one.

Pierre

... it usually stitches the two together in a single posting for you when you hit the post button the second time. Or perhaps not. I'll find out in a minute.

... it usually stitches the two together in a single posting for you when you hit the post button the second time. Or perhaps not. I'll find out in a minute.

Damn. Well, it definitely has before.

You can also copy and paste the coding and change names etc. Not that it matters. It is useful though to know what particular single sentences people are responding to.

Damn. Well, it definitely has before.

You can also copy and paste the coding and change names etc. Not that it matters. It is useful though to know what particular single sentences people are responding to.

People are behaving themselves pretty well at the moment, but in the past some of us will remember provocative posts being put up, replied to and then removed, leaving anyone re-reading a topic with huge gaps. If I'm responding to something, it makes sense to me to have the exact original still there! Agreed it does take up a bit of space, and a milli-second extra on the button when you're scrolling down.

As to double quotations etc., I note that the Associated Board of the RSM Organ Website (frequented by one or two of our famous names) that too is Invision Power Board, almost indistinguishable by look, but several things seem to work differently over there. There's an earnest tinge to topics over there too which contrasts with what we're used to here - and, of course, a number of 'fresh' names dominate proceedings hugely. Some of the questions are so innocent, indeed so naiave, that it would be a shame for anyone from over here to crash through and try to put them straight! Sincere apologies if this sounds patronising.

I just couldn't resist doing this! :PB)

I think Vox's suggestion absolutely sensible.

Now, could some bright computer-literate person please inform me if there's an easy way to quote from two different postings if I want to reply to them both in one of my own postings, please? I've seen it done from time to time, so it must be possible. Thanks!

Or just edit the BBCode. So I can make this next item

appear as a quotation
from me, merely by using the code:

quote name='drd' {all surrounded by square brackets} and finish the quotation with

/quote {again surrounded by square brackets} Anything between the quote statement and the /quote statement is shown as a quotation.

The first quotation above used the reply with quote toggled on facility, and the second was by typing the relevant BBCode (as above) when I typed my reply.

Have a look at the clickable item entitled "BB Code Help" at the right foot of the edit panel when you make a reply or add a new item.

The thing is, once a thread has had several different points made by different people, you need a quote to make it clear who and what you are replying to. However, I do agree that probably all of us could exercise more discretion about using the quote facility.

I agree with this.

AJJ

Dear all,

Kind regards,

Gerco Schaap (NL)

Hi

Not a good idea as far as I'm concerned! I certainly don't want to find time to wade back through sometimes several weeks of messages to remind myself what a new message is responding to.

I try and remember to delete the irelevant parts of the post that I'm quoting.

Every Blessing

Tony

Or just edit the BBCode. So I can make this next item from me, merely by using the code: ………………etc.

Another suggestion, on a Microsoft Windows PC:

1) Click “Reply” for the item you wish to quote, and bring up the reply page.

2) Highlight and delete the parts of the text you wish to remove, but leaving the code with the square brackets at the beginning and end.

3) Highlight and copy, (CTRL + C), the whole, including the square brackets.

4) Open Microsoft Word and paste, (CTRL + V), the copied quote into the Word document.

5) Insert any text you wish.

6) Minimise Word and return to the forum. Click the Back-page arrow to return to the discussion, find the next quote you want and repeat 1 to 3, then return to your word document and paste.

7) Repeat above add infinitum, (well, perhaps not quite literally), compose and finalise your text as you would for any Word document, making sure that all the quotes start with the relevant code, the bit which looks something like

“{quote name='Holz Gedeckt' date='Jan 5 2008, 10:38 PM' post='31782'}”

and end with “{/quote}”. (NOTE: For {...}, read [...]. Had to do that or it comes out as a "Quote").

8) Highlight, (EDIT – SELECT ALL), and copy the whole Word document, return to the discussion, scroll to the end, click “Add Reply,” and paste your complete reply into the clean page. Obviously, once everything is copied across, the Word document can be closed without saving.

9) Preview and submit.

It may seem involved at first, but I find it works for me. If you don't have Word installed, it works just as well using Notepad, which is included in the Accessories of Windows; it's just not such a good text editor.

Happy posting!

Another suggestion, on a Microsoft Windows PC: ...

Yes, though with MSWord you might like to ensure that the MS-specific tags do not propagate through to the post, if they are present in your copied back text. They could potentially cause problems with non-MS browsers. As you say, Notepad could be used, and is likely to produce good results.

Beware multiple embedded quotations, since they will have a number of pairs of quote, /quote BBCode tags. Fundamentally, one needs, for good results, to preserve the integrity of the nesting of such tags. Thus, removing a 'quote' means also removing the corresponding paired '/quote' tage.

Yes, though with MSWord you might like to ensure that the MS-specific tags do not propagate through to the post, if they are present in your copied back text. They could potentially cause problems with non-MS browsers. As you say, Notepad could be used, and is likely to produce good results.

Thanks for pointing that out. Probably Notepad is the safer option? I have tried both and the results, as far as appearances in the forum are concerned, are the same, at least superficially, but point taken.

Another benefit could be that Notepad uses less PC resources. I am using an old (PII) machine with limited system memory, and it struggles if I try to open too many advanced applications at once. For me, Notepad certainly opens much quicker than MSWord, especially if I have the browser running as well.

Or just edit the BBCode. So I can make this next item from me, merely by using the code:

quote name='drd' {all surrounded by square brackets} and finish the quotation with

/quote {again surrounded by square brackets} Anything between the quote statement and the /quote statement is shown as a quotation.

The first quotation above used the reply with quote toggled on facility, and the second was by typing the relevant BBCode (as above) when I typed my reply.

Have a look at the clickable item entitled "BB Code Help" at the right foot of the edit panel when you make a reply or add a new item.

Another suggestion, on a Microsoft Windows PC:

Am I just ordinarily dim, or really thick? Did I not understand the relevant part of your post above drd? The facility is there already of course.

Before you click "Reply," or any other buttons, just scroll up and down through the topic, and at every post from which you wish to quote, click the "Quote" button. As it's clicked, each button turns red and stays that way, so you can see which posts you have clicked. Then scroll on down to the end and click "Add Reply." Lo and behold, the reply screen opens with all the required quotes in place.

All that remains now is to edit out any unwanted text, leaving the code in square brackets of course, type in any required comments above, below , or in between the quoted sections, and away.

I think I need a lie down now. Maybe I shall feel better in the morning.

Before you click "Reply," or any other buttons, just scroll up and down through the topic, and at every post from which you wish to quote, click the "Quote" button. As it's clicked, each button turns red and stays that way, so you can see which posts you have clicked. Then scroll on down to the end and click "Add Reply." Low and behold, the reply screen opens with all the required quotes in place.

All that remains now is to edit out any unwanted text, leaving the code in square brackets of course, type in any required comments above, below , or in between the quoted sections, and away.

I think I need a lie down now. Maybe I shall feel better in the morning.

Ah, so that's why it turns red, and the function of that button!

Thank you to everybody who's taken the effort to suggest ways of doing this. Much appreciated. ;)

My suggestion was simply to code the relevant control tags directly into the stuff you are editing when you make a reply - that way, not only can you pick up the quotations, but you can also put anything else in as a quotations-marked box whether it's already appeared in the board or not.

I prefer to do it this way, because it means I do not have to grab the mouse to scroll up and down, I can just use the keyboard and put the quotation-marked boses in there and then. So it feels quicker to me.

Also, not all forum software (there are lots of alternative software packages for driving fora out there, and I am part of a lot of fora, as well as running others) uses the quotation toggle facility that Invision uses, but virtually all of them use BBCode. So I have become used to using the BBCode methods, and eschewing the 'easy formatting' facilities.