Mander Organ Builders Forum

Barcelona?

As some forum members are going to visit "exotic" places for the 1st time, and wanting to know what there is to see, I thought I had better ask too.

My partner has just bought a cheap deal to Lloret De Mar, and as my geography is not too good, I heard that Barcelona is just "down" the road. I have never been there before, so if anyone has any ideas, please bring them on

Peter

As some forum members are going to visit "exotic" places for the 1st time, and wanting to know what there is to see, I thought I had better ask too.

My partner has just bought a cheap deal to Lloret De Mar, and as my geography is not too good, I heard that Barcelona is just "down" the road. I have never been there before, so if anyone has any ideas, please bring them on

Peter

Ideas for organs to play?

Well there are two nice ones in Barcelona. In the Cathedral and in the "Palau de la Musica". My guess is that it may be a bit tricky organising to play in those places since they are quite strict in what you can do, and the latter is a Concert Hall. But best of luck and I wish you have a sunny holiday.

Peter

OK, Barcelona is lovely. I've been there last year. Pictures at http://travel.webshots.com/album/562607740NJNvOI

You really must see the Sagrada Familia. The Cathedral and Santa Maria del Mar are also worth a visit, as is the Monasterio de Pedralbes.

Non-organ spots: Parc Guell, Poble Espagnol, Boqueria, Mont Juic.... Well, have a look at the pictures and choose what you would like to visit.

Enjoy your trip!

Dick

Mrs Humana and I also spent three days there last year, though for several reasons we didn't attempt to track down any music. I can't really add much to what Dick says other than that I can really recommend the Bus Turistic as a way of getting about the city.

The Sagrada Familia is a must, despite the inside being just a construction site, and indeed all of Gaudi's buildings are a joy to behold (see e.g. Casa Mila and Casa Batilo on p.5 of Dick's photos).

Montjuic Palace retains the case of the Walcker organ, though sadly it appears to be non-operational since there is now no sign of the six-manual (or any other) console.

Heavens! There's much to see in Barcelona, and many of my favourites have been mentioned already. Get yourself out of the organloft and enjoy lots of Gaudi and Picasso. There's also the Old Quarter, and many splendid churches. Enjoy a promenade down Les Ramblas, and pause at Café l'Opera for a drink.

Not far down the coast from Barcelona is Tarragona, where you will find the Parroquia del Vendrell with its interesting (and slightly parlous) Scherrer organ in Spanish style. The organist there is a good friend of mine and I've been fortunate to play it in concert and at services there.

http://aaov.wordpress.com/

Also in that neighbourhood is a shrine to the town's most famous musical son - the Villa Pau Casals. I urge you to visit this!

http://www.paucasals.org/