Mander Organ Builders Forum

Guildford Cathedral Organ.

Phil T

Hello all. I was in Guildford for evensong recently, the positive was all but removed and other stops/functions weren’t working. Does anybody know what’s happening there?

:blink:

Yes. The Shepherd Brothers are currently restoring the under-action to the Positive division. It's a very small gallery, limited access generally, and the under-action is not of a design that can be detached from the soundboard and worked on elsewhere so they are more-or-less obliged to work in situ, so this fact is bound to slow the work down!

Shouldn't be long before the instrument is back together. I agree it is a little surprising that this work should be necessary so soon after the last refurbishment, but then I think we all know which (now defunct) firm carried out the work that time!

• 5 years later...
  • 5 years later...

As far as I know, nothing ever came of this scheme?   I know little of the Cathedral but remember dire headlines about its finances a few years ago.   A pity if the idea has been shelved - it seemed like a sensible plan to me.

Also I wonder if anyone knows, has the removal of the asbestos ceiling a couple of years ago changed the acoustics?  For the better?

2 hours ago, SomeChap said:

As far as I know, nothing ever came of this scheme?   I know little of the Cathedral but remember dire headlines about its finances a few years ago.   A pity if the idea has been shelved - it seemed like a sensible plan to me.

Also I wonder if anyone knows, has the removal of the asbestos ceiling a couple of years ago changed the acoustics?  For the better?

I've not been in since the restoration, but apparently the acoustic is so much better now!

On 29/01/2015 at 19:27, Philip J Wells said:

Anyone know anything about proposals to replace the current Guildford Chancel Positive division with a brand new 2 manual and pedal organ?

Hi

The Coventry & Warwickshire Organists' Association had a visit to Guildford last year.  The idea of a 2m organ in the choir was mentioned - but I gather it's a very long way down the list of things to find finance for.  I have memories of seeing the Cathedral being built - from across the valley, when visiting relatives as a child, and had visited a couple of times over the years but not heard the organ before.  I was particularly interested as the Guildford organ had started life in a Shipley Baptist Church - just down the road from my last pastorate.

Every Blessing

Tony