Mander Organ Builders Forum

Pedalboard - Flat/straight Or Radiating/concave?

nachthorn

Doesn't Duruflé's Sicilienne need an F#?

But ofcourse we all do prefer a pedalboard that's either constructed and/or placed 'ambachtelijk' (artisan/artisanal).

The old masters didn't do ergonomics, why would we ....

I'm tempted to say "because I'm not a 17th century Dutch dwarf"... but I'll resist.

Perhaps it's more to do with the fact they couldn't easily do 3 hours+ organ practice in one session, without buying a blower many beers. So I guess back ache seldom set in!

This talk of requiring an additional semitone beyond the reach of the upper reach of the pedal division instrument reminds me of the inverse problem when playing the bassoon. Occasionally a piece requires a low A, which is a semitone lower than the standard lowest note of Bb (the Rumpole of the Bailley theme springs to mind). In this situation a rolled up piece of music stuck in the top of the bassoon does the trick nicely. But an equivalent low tech approach to the upper note issue on pedal divisions would require a hacksaw, so I guess that's not a go-er.

Sq

I have had a straight/flat for over 3 years and was quite surprised at how little time it took me to adapt. I also have a radiating/concave one, and don't find any particular problems in switching between the two.

Ah, so which do you prefer?

There isn't an easy answer to that. If both are available, I tend to use the former more for earlier repertoire and the latter for later stuff. But sometimes it's also just a question of mood. And the former console has better keyboards than the latter.

Let alone Italy: the new organ for St. James's, Florence we have provided with a flat, concave pedalboard - much to the surprise of many, needless to say!

DW

Surprise indeed! Forgive me if I've misunderstood something, but aren't flat and concave mutually exclusive?

but aren't flat and concave mutually exclusive?

Quite so, you've passed the observation test! :rolleyes:

I meant, of course, Straight and concave.

While we're on the subject, I'd probably take issue with the comment earlier that it costs a fortune for the two extra notes - It doesn't and I have always been at a loss to understand why 58 (or, worse 56)-notes and 30 notes of pedals are the usual compasses for modern, new instruments. Seems like penny-pinching to me.

DW

Dang, there goes any hope of learning one of my favourite pieces on my home toaster then :-( Why didn't I check before I bought?

I would still go ahead and learn it. The top Gs only appear twice throughout the work and can easily be transposed down an octave.

EC

Quite so, you've passed the observation test! :lol:

I meant, of course, Straight and concave.

While we're on the subject, I'd probably take issue with the comment earlier that it costs a fortune for the two extra notes - It doesn't and I have always been at a loss to understand why 58 (or, worse 56)-notes and 30 notes of pedals are the usual compasses for modern, new instruments. Seems like penny-pinching to me.

DW

Out of interest how much money would be saved by not going for the top notes of the keyboard? You need top F# for the Widor toccato so 56 is a minimum for any church :-) and 58 lets you play the Andante of Guillmant 1. But I don't think I've ever reached top C except if transposing up a 16 foot which I hardly ever do. Do the extra few notes cost that much, bearing in mind that we are dealing with the smallest pipes in the range? Or does their size mean they are more fiddly to make and therefore more costly?

Contrabombarde

Out of interest how much money would be saved by not going for the top notes of the keyboard? You need top F# for the Widor toccato so 56 is a minimum for any church :-) and 58 lets you play the Andante of Guillmant 1. But I don't think I've ever reached top C except if transposing up a 16 foot which I hardly ever do. Do the extra few notes cost that much, bearing in mind that we are dealing with the smallest pipes in the range? Or does their size mean they are more fiddly to make and therefore more costly?

Contrabombarde

Rutter's B flat Jubilate needs a top (manual) B flat at the end.

Rutter's B flat Jubilate needs a top (manual) B flat at the end.

William Mathias' Toccata Giocosa calls for a top B flat too. I played this for my ABRSM Grade 7 exam (some years ago!) on an organ with 56-note manuals, and in the scheme of things, a single substituted note chosen wisely makes little difference.

Incidentally, I've opted for a straight/concave 30-note pedalboard. Thanks to all for helping me to choose :lol:

There is a work by Jean Langlais called La Cinquieme Trompette. In the middle section of this, top G is required on the pedals (as well as F sharp more than once). It is not possible to 'fake' this, as the pedal registration is specified as a 4ft solo, with two different manual registrations (left hand playing slow-moving chords on a Celeste, right hand playing a 'spiky' fast moving rhythm on the Jeu de Nazard, if I remember correctly). There is a recording of the piece on a CD by John Scott at St Paul's Cathedral.