Mander Organ Builders Forum

All Saints Odiham

AJJ

• 2 weeks later...
This looks nice - has anyone heard it or have the spec?

A

I was very fortunate to play it after the dedication service a few weeks ago. Sadly the reeds and mixtures hadn't been finished and weren't available, but I found it very pleasant to play and listen to, although rather exacting in terms of accuracy - it was very easy to smudge notes. It's certainly not built to accompany Victorian choral repertoire, but will be a superb teaching and learning instrument as Ian envisaged. I think Odiham really have earned the instrument by virtue of their tireless fund-raising, and the whole project has demonstrated the high regard in which Ian Ledsham was (and still is) held - he was a superb musician and inspired so many others to pursue and enjoy music too. Needless to say, I knew Ian well too - I was his last organ scholar at Birmingham and worked very closely with him until his tragic death. He would have liked the instrument!

The spec is:

[Pedal]

Bourdon 16'

Principal 8'

Bass Flute 8'

Trombone 16'

[Great]

Open Diapason 8'

Stop Diapason 8'

Principal 4'

Flute 4'

Twelfth 2 2/3'

Fifteenth 2'

Sesquialtra III

Mixture II

Cornet V

Trumpet 8'

[swell]

Open Diapason 8'

Stop Diapason 8'

Dulciana 8'

Principal 4'

Fifteenth 2'

Cornet II

Hautboy 8'

Trumpet 8'

Usual couplers, balanced swell pedal, combination pedals, mild well-tempered tuning.

I was very fortunate to play it after the dedication service a few weeks ago. Sadly the reeds and mixtures hadn't been finished and weren't available, but I found it very pleasant to play and listen to, although rather exacting in terms of accuracy - it was very easy to smudge notes. It's certainly not built to accompany Victorian choral repertoire, but will be a superb teaching and learning instrument as Ian envisaged. I think Odiham really have earned the instrument by virtue of their tireless fund-raising, and the whole project has demonstrated the high regard in which Ian Ledsham was (and still is) held - he was a superb musician and inspired so many others to pursue and enjoy music too. Needless to say, I knew Ian well too - I was his last organ scholar at Birmingham and worked very closely with him until his tragic death. He would have liked the instrument!

The spec is:

[Pedal]

Bourdon 16'

Principal 8'

Bass Flute 8'

Trombone 16'

[Great]

Open Diapason 8'

Stop Diapason 8'

Principal 4'

Flute 4'

Twelfth 2 2/3'

Fifteenth 2'

Sesquialtra III

Mixture II

Cornet V

Trumpet 8'

[swell]

Open Diapason 8'

Stop Diapason 8'

Dulciana 8'

Principal 4'

Fifteenth 2'

Cornet II

Hautboy 8'

Trumpet 8'

Usual couplers, balanced swell pedal, combination pedals, mild well-tempered tuning.

Thanks

A

• 1 month later...

Further to Nachthorn's comments I have now had a chance to play this fine new instrument since completion of the pedal reed, the last stop to be completed. We have been taking out the old organ so have managed to both here the organ in the church, including at a wedding, and have a chance to play it. It truly is a very fine example of outstanding British organ building possessing a good clean action, if exacting on the player (which is good of course!) and a beautiful tonal palate designed ideal for most periods of English music and I dare say many more (I played the Widor Toccata on it and it sounded very fine!) Congratulations to Goetze and Gwynn for a fine addition to their Opus and to organ building in England.

Jonathan