Mander Organ Builders Forum

Norwich Cathedral Choral Evensong 27 November 2013

John Furse

I only heard a little of this live, in the car.

At the end, difficulties in the broadcast were mentioned. Does anyone know what these were ?

The closing voluntary was taken at such a lick, it more resembled Howells of anguish, than the Psalm Prelude I used to play.

The mike placement sounded quite distant, too (?).

I do like their splashy Tuba (18), though.

The closing voluntary was taken at such a lick, it more resembled Howells of anguish, than the Psalm Prelude I used to play.

Yes. I didn't check the speed of the performance but I suspect it wasn't very far adrift from Howells's metronome mark, which is indeed very fast at crotchet = 114. Just occasionally I can't help feeling that a composer has written something that has deeper opportunities than he has realised. Who was it who said that, once a composer has finished writing a piece, he is as far removed from it as everyone else? Was it Howells himself? Normally I try not to deviate too far from a composer's wishes, but IMO crotchet = 92 is plenty fast enough for the opening of this piece. At the least this allows the racking up of the speed in the last few pages to (effectively) one in a bar to have that much more impact. Just my take on it.

I haven't listed to this broadcast yet, but have received Priory's latest DVD from Norwich with David Dunnett, and he demonstrates the Cymbelstern (and the rotating star which is on the case!) on there. As ever, the DVD (from what have I seen) is excellent.

The voluntary was played at practically Howells' metronome mark (as do I) which, in my copy, is crotchet =116, not 114 as Vox Humana states. Three other tempo markings in the piece are qualified by metronome indications.

Hi

I didn't hear the broadcast, but I do have the DVD and have watched it all(and the recital twice) - excellent.

It's good to see how far David Dunnett has come since I knew him when he was still at school (and he was a good organist then!)

Every Blessing

Tony

Sadly, I cannot follow resp. share discussions of BBC3 Evensong anymore, as they obviously have cancelled the podcast possibibility for listeners abroad.

I can understand copyright reasons, but for me it is a loss of a loved connection to Anglican church music.

To hear the mentioned (and future) Norwich evensong would have been nice, as I've been there not long ago.

Greetings

Karl-Bernhardin Kropf

Sadly, I cannot follow resp. share discussions of BBC3 Evensong anymore, as they obviously have cancelled the podcast possibibility for listeners abroad.

I can understand copyright reasons, but for me it is a loss of a loved connection to Anglican church music.

To hear the mentioned (and future) Norwich evensong would have been nice, as I've been there not long ago.

Greetings

Karl-Bernhardin Kropf

Hello,

Are your sure about this? At this very moment I’m listening to the Evensong broadcast from Lichfield Cathedral on the BBC iPlayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tp7r), sitting at home in Slovenia. I can’t think of any reason why this shouldn’t be possible in Germany (?).

Anyway, there is still the "underground" option, although it doesn’t have all the broadcasts from 2013: http://wiki.seboldt.net/w/index.php/BBC_Choral_Evensong_Underground_Archive

M

Hello SlovOrg, thanks for your reply! The underground archive is a very nice find. And your Slovenia option made me think it over, and I tried IE instead of my standard Firefox - an idea I did not have before - so I finally could listen to Exeter Cathedral! Thus the problem is limited to a few cubic centimeters and I can fix it somewhere in the Firefox PlugIn area... :)

Edit on Dec 20th: ....it happened today with the automatic installation of the latest Firefox version - I'm happy to join evensong audience again!