Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organs in & near Lisbon

DaveHarries

Greetings all,

I recently returned from a few days holiday in the lovely Portuguese city of Lisbon. While there I took time to visit several churches and look at the organs in them and saw some lovely instruments. I took photos of at least some of them and have used a selection of some of the resulting photos to make a Flickr album. 

One of the organs I photographed, and which features in the selection of photos, is given on the church's website as being "of English origin" and dating from 1872. An online source I have found since returning home - http://orgaos-portugal.net - gives the builder as Gray & Davidson but I think that the church in Lisbon might have acquired this organ second-hand, perhaps from a redundant church in England / Wales. If anyone has any more information as to where the organ in question (Santo Antonio) came from then I would appreciate knowing.

The album can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/14103794@N04/albums/72157671870042677 and I hope that members of this forum will enjoy looking at the photos.

Dave

23 hours ago, DaveHarries said:

The album can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/14103794@N04/albums/72157671870042677 and I hope that members of this forum will enjoy looking at the photos.

Dave

I remember visiting Santa Engracia when we were there a few years ago.  A very attractive organ but, when I asked the custodian (I think), I was told that it was not in playable condition.  A shame.

I am a new Member, although I have followed this Board for several years.  I live in the Hampshire village of Hursley, half-way between Winchester and Romsey.  This was the Parish of John Keble who is buried in the churchyard.  Paradoxically, Richard Cromwell’s remains are inside the Church.  I play in two small, ancient churches - for Matins in Winchester and Evensong at Morestead, a farming community which doesn’t boast a single shop or pub!  But it has the honour of giving the name to Sydney Watson’s fine hymn tune.  I am following the news about the Peter Collins Turner Sims organ, sadly missed here, but happily finding a worthy new home.

Now to Lisbon!  Dave Harries’ question sent me to my invaluable 1922 ‘Dictionary of Organs and Organists’ which includes extensive lists of overseas organs by UK builders.  It doesn’t supply an answer about Santo Antonio, but the following entries may be of interest:

PORTUGAL
LISBON - 
     CORPO SANTE - Built 1906 by Forster & Andrews. 9 sp. stops, 3 couplers
     ENGLISH CHURCH - Built 1875 by Forster & Andrews
OPORTO - 
     CHURCH OF NOTRE DAME de L’ESPÉRANCE - Built 1891 by Conacher. 1 manual, 11 sp. stops, 1 coupler
     ENGLISH CHURCH - Built 1888 by Norman & Beard. 2 manuals, 19 sp. stops, 4 couplers, tr. action, hand bl.

No mention of Santo Antonio or Gray and Davidson (although the organ is instantly recognisable as the only English one in Dave’s photographs!),
 but interesting to see organs by other English builders from much the same era, especially in the two ‘non-English’ churches.

Rowland