Mander Organ Builders Forum

Google Celebrates Bach's Birthday

Choir Man

Today Google are celebrating Bach's birthday with a doodle that can harmonise a 2 bar melody inputted by the user. Google have (cleverly) used a machine learning programme that has had over 300 pieces of Bach's music fed into to it. So the software will harmonise your melody in the style of Bach. Of course Bach would have harmonised the same melody in many different ways and there is a button that will re-harmonise your melody if you don't like the first harmonisation. You can access the doodle here:

https://g.co/doodle/kxtz67

This is best done using Chrome browser, although other browsers may be supported. Have a go and see what you think.

Thanks for posting; this is fun and certain corners do sound like Bach.  It looks to me like they've not told it about 'the rules' at all - parallel fifths, smooth part writing etc; clearly they've just let the machine do its thing and hoover up the training set without supervising it.  I like how open-minded it is though; I let it have several goes at the first line of Eisenach and although every try had something awful in it, it came up with certain perfectly viable harmonies I'd never thought of before. I can see it actually being useful for that when re-harmonising hymn last verses!

I know google are evil, but they are bloomin' clever too.

13 hours ago, Choir Man said:

Today Google are celebrating Bach's birthday with a doodle that can harmonise a 2 bar melody inputted by the user. Google have (cleverly) used a machine learning programme that has had over 300 pieces of Bach's music fed into to it. So the software will harmonise your melody in the style of Bach. Of course Bach would have harmonised the same melody in many different ways and there is a button that will re-harmonise your melody if you don't like the first harmonisation. You can access the doodle here:

https://g.co/doodle/kxtz67

This is best done using Chrome browser, although other browsers may be supported. Have a go and see what you think.

Isn't that great?  How useful that would have been if it had been available fifty years ago when we were 'ordered' to harmonise a tune at school!