Mander Organ Builders Forum

On-going and newly announced major organ works

Martin Cooke

Hopefully I have updated this post from last October reasonably accurately. Happy to receive further updates.

I am taking the liberty of posting a revised version of this with a few 'notes in the margin', as it were, and a couple of additions. Not quite sure how to keep this up to date but very happy to try from time to time! Do contribute! I was hoping to keep this to 'well known places' but realise that that may defy definition!

Projects underway:

Norwich Cathedral well underway by H&H 

Brasenose College, Oxford new instrument by Orgues de facto in advanced state of installation - have heard/seen nothing more - Anyone?

Winchester Cathedral - (scheme is published - rebuild etc with Vox Humana to be added) - work now underway

Bath Abbey - overhaul with tonal adjustments by Klais scheduled for start in January 2023 - this is underway

Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks digital organ installed - awaiting details of new pipe organ. Not sure if there are any details out there - there are now! Harrisons to build interesting new organ... and their website indicates that work is underway - lots of photos.

Known imminent/future projects but no/sparse/basic details known:

Bristol Cathedral nothing new to report as at 25.10.22. Three manual viscount has been installed on a 'stand by' basis in case of breakdown. It is thought that Harrison and Harrison has been appointed.

Wells Cathedral nothing new to report

Charterhouse School nothing new - Nicholsons have announced new organ to replace H&H using minimal pipework from this instrument, but no actual scheme announced

Gloucester Cathedral - things HAVE moved on. Organ has broken down and is out of use until Nicholsons can refurbish and renew. Snippets of news only - understood to be a 'new organ' in the planning. Light the blue touch paper when this scheme is promulgated!

St Bartholomew, Smithfield, London - extant pipe organ declared no longer usable and installation of Viscount digital on temporary basis some time ago. Plans to install Schoenstein pipe organ

Imminent conclusions of schemes:

Bristol Beacon H&H work ongoing

Leeds Town Hall Nicholson work ongoing

Manchester Town Hall combined project by Nicholsons and Flentrop - ongoing

Projects (mostly) from original post now complete:

St Mary, Portsea - now complete (Nicholsons)

Wimborne Minster - now complete (Manders) - has anyone seen photos or comments about this?  Postscript - there are now  photos of the completed project on the Mander Facebook site.

Shrewsbury Abbey - now complete (GO Organs)

Magdalen College, Oxford Eule instrument now complete

Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral - H&H work ongoing - H&H website hasn't been updated re this instrument for quite a while, but organ back in use.

Worcester Cathedral - not a 'scheme' as such, but repairs, cleaning and recommissioning following storm damage and several years of 'issues' - Nicholsons. Tickell organ back in use

• 3 weeks later...

One newly announced today (only 3hrs old when I saw it on Facebook this evening), 07th March, is that Nicholson & Co (Malvern) have been awarded the contract for an organ, scheduled for completion 2026/2027 in time for the cathedral's planned re-opening, of 4 manuals and 70 stops for Christchurch Cathedral, New Zealand whose previous instrument (Hill & Son 1882 / HN&B 1929) was substantially damaged in the earthquake of 2011.

Details: http://www.nicholsonorgans.co.uk/pf/christchurch-nz/

Given the instrument they built for Holy Trinity, Auckland I am not surprised they got the contract for this one too.

Dave

It comes as no surprise that the City of Hull has again been forgotten. Hull Minster has a long forgotten jewel in the form of a magnificent four manual, 104-speaking stop organ, the work of the great John Compton and completed in 1939. Essentially untouched since then, it is a tragedy that it remains unplayable, having been in that state for around five years, possibly more. Yes, I keep banging the drum on its behalf; Hull is not a city of affluence, yet somewhere there is the money for the organ’s restoration. National Heritage Lottery Fund please note, and others with funds to get the project started.

On 07/03/2023 at 23:40, DaveHarries said:

One newly announced today (only 3hrs old when I saw it on Facebook this evening), 07th March, is that Nicholson & Co (Malvern) have been awarded the contract for an organ, scheduled for completion 2026/2027 in time for the cathedral's planned re-opening, of 4 manuals and 70 stops for Christchurch Cathedral, New Zealand whose previous instrument (Hill & Son 1882 / HN&B 1929) was substantially damaged in the earthquake of 2011.

Details: http://www.nicholsonorgans.co.uk/pf/christchurch-nz/

Given the instrument they built for Holy Trinity, Auckland I am not surprised they got the contract for this one too.

Dave

On the cathedral's Facebook page there is an interesting diagram showing models of how the sound from the old organ and the proposed new organ will be heard around the building. This technique is known as ray-tracing and is widely used in engineering, for estimating the propagation of radio signals around chosen environments, both inside and outside buildings, as well as for acoustic studies. I have seen a couple of short films on measurements inside churches for this purpose, one was in Cologne Cathedral. Its nice to see results like this being published, and very informative.

Facebook