Mander Organ Builders Forum

Hexachordum Apollinis

passion_chorale

Hi there,

I'd like to begin looking at some bits of this collection of Arias (Hexachordum Apollinis), by Pachelbel.

The question is, can anyone recommend a good CD recording?

I thought I would share the link to the sheet music, for what it's worth. It seems to be 'non commercial copying welcome' so enjoy!

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~tuben/scores/phexap/

Regards, David.

Hi there,

I'd like to begin looking at some bits of this collection of Arias (Hexachordum Apollinis), by Pachelbel.

I thought I would share the link to the sheet music, for what it's worth. It seems to be 'non commercial copying welcome' so enjoy!

Regards, David.

Dear David,

Thanks for passing this tip/score on.

I've just printed myself a copy (as advised) and it's all good stuff and very well-produced.

P./C.

Dear David,

Thanks for passing this tip/score on.

I've just printed myself a copy (as advised) and it's all good stuff and very well-produced.

P./C.

If you follow the url back, the same site has a large series of similiar stuff, a lot admittedly instrumental but useful to be able to access all the same.

How fascinating....this appears to the the score of Bruhn's "Mein Hertz ist bereit", for organ, violin, and bass voice.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~tuben/scores/br...tz/mhertzsc.pdf

"This cantata is the only preserved music by Bruhns, who was known as a virtuoso on both the violin and organ,

which features a solo violin part. He was known to be able to play the bass line on the organ with his feet while

playing multiple stops on the violin."

Wow!

Any Organist/Violinists here?

Dear David,

I've also downloaded the Pachelbel arias. Many thanks for drawing attention to this splendind site.

I seem to recall reading that Bruhns' party piece was to sing a chorale tune, accompany himself on organ/harpsichord pedals and simultaneously improvise a violin obbligato.

My own foray into multiple instrument playing is rather less worthy. I once gave as an encore at a (very) informal concert ‘Abide with me’, on trumpet and organ pedals. Maybe if they’d had this as alternative ARCO transposition test, I'd have passed.

Regards,

Paul.

Hi there,

Regards, David.

Thanks for the link to the scores. The recording I have is of John Butt in Hertz Hall, Berkeley, California made in 1990 and reissued on (US) Harmonia Mundi in 1997 reference HMT 7907029. my copy came from Tower Records in 1998 so it may be only available s/h via the usual channels (e-bay, cds-unlimited etc). Good luck in finding a copy

If you follow the url back, the same site has a large series of similiar stuff, a lot admittedly instrumental but useful to be able to access all the same.

How fascinating....this appears to the the score of Bruhn's "Mein Hertz ist bereit", for organ, violin, and bass voice.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~tuben/scores/br...tz/mhertzsc.pdf

"This cantata is the only preserved music by Bruhns, who was known as a virtuoso on both the violin and organ,

which features a solo violin part. He was known to be able to play the bass line on the organ with his feet while

playing multiple stops on the violin."

Wow!

When I was organist in a church in London I was also mandolin player in a tradititional folk music band. I did once, when the organ was partially down, use the mandolin at Mass but played the pedals which were still operational. I recall we sang a simple "folky" unision mass that day - oh and I wouldn't claim that it got anywhere near Bruhns' standard!

Best

Peter

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

I am one.

"The question is, can anyone recommend a good CD recording?"

Sorry to blow a Trumpet - albeit of course on a low wind preasure(!)- but I have recorded a number of things from Hex. App. on the organ (Cantoris Records). Up to others to say whether they think them good. I did my best.

This music is extraordinary and nobody really should bypass it en route to JSB Passacaglia, for instance. Johann Pachelbel is one the great composers whose music languishes so badly on music shop shelves. The times I have visied organ lofts to find nothing of this man - not one of the 8 or so volumes of his glorious music. (The same could be said of Walter.) I had thought that 'his' year in 2006 would have kicked-start a resurgence. A sadness, because I see little or no evidence. The Chorales are so inventive and melodious. The 95 (yes, 95!) Magnificat Fugues are spectacular material for teaching technique and are also perfect when perfected, for short voluntaries - excellent armament for having up your sleeve. If all of this music was good enough for the young JSB to copy in his youth, then I do think that many more players today should be enthused to know it. But I think they are put off by the Kanon in all its many realisations and the connection with adverts and funerals.

Fear not! I bring you tidings of great joy. For unto you is given all these works in Bärenreiter.

All best wishes, and happy hunting and playing

Nigel

Johann Pachelbel is one the great composers whose music languishes so badly on music shop shelves. The times I have visied organ lofts to find nothing of this man - not one of the 8 or so volumes of his glorious music.

All downloadable for free here on pages 81 & 101: http://www.free-scores.com/free-sheet-musi...20&start=80

I agree that the Magnificat fugues are very inventive. Recitalists could well consider programming a small group of them to provide a spot of light relief.

Not sure I agree about Walther though. A little goes a long way. I find the individual movements of his chorale partitas consistently appealing, but very few of the partitas maintain the interest from beginning to end. (Relatively few of the chorale preludes are stand-alone settings; most of the ones C. H. Trevor picked for his anthologies are extracts from the partitas.) Of course this may well just be due to the way I play them!