Mander Organ Builders Forum

Wedding Problems?

Peter Clark

Given that more than a few of us, I would imagine, already carry around a small USB memory stick, it would be a small matter, I presume, to fit a USB socket into the combination system and then we could dispense with locking altogether. You always have your combinations with you, ready to plug into your own organ. The real advantage would come if there was some sort of combination standard, like GEDCOM for genealogy files, whereby plugging your combinations into a strange organ would render a first guess which could then be adjusted. I would imagine many of us have Clarinet on the highest numbered Choir piston, for example.

In case some of you have no idea what I'm talking about, a USB memory stick is about half the size of a disposable cigarette lighter and stores computer data, up to about 2-4000 times as much as could be stored on an old floppy disk. They cost about £20.

Yes, that would be great - and it's already happening. The fabulous Schuke organ in the Lambertikirche in Münster has a USB drive.

The next step would be to have a programme on your PC/laptop, a virtual console, so you could set your pistons up on the train on the way to the concert and then spend more time playing instead of setting, which always irritates me, especially when console time is limited.

Guest Lee Blick
Contract?  What's that?  :lol:   Never had one at any of the churches where I played - at least, not a written one. I'd bet the majority of the organists in this land don't have a written one either.

I think that is probably true. Many appointments are just genetlemen agreements in many cases which is fine, but when you get situations like the entitlement of wedding fees as discussed here, there is possiblity of confusion and friction, particularly if dealing with younger clergy who may not be aware of these 'unwritten rules'.

Contract? What's that? :lol: Never had one at any of the churches where I played - at least, not a written one. I'd bet the majority of the organists in this land don't have a written one either.

I do not even have a contract at the Minster - as far as I can remember.

However, we do have an understanding that, if another organist is to play a wedding or some other type of service (there are a few exceptions) then the fee is still payable to us.

Pistons - I keep the entire system locked. If someone needs to use it, I make one or two channels available, with instructions (and threats) regarding what will happen to them if they stray from the designated channels....

This is largely due to a certain cathedral assistant who was unable apparently to read plain English.

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
I do not even have a contract at the Minster - as far as I can remember.

However, we do have an understanding that, if another organist is to play a wedding or some other type of service (there are a few exceptions) then the fee is still payable to us.

Pistons - I keep the entire system locked. If someone needs to use it, I make one or two channels available, with instructions (and threats) regarding what will happen to them if they stray from the designated channels....

This is largely due to a certain cathedral assistant who was unable apparently to read plain English.

Inability to read instructions / polite requests is, I'm afraid, endemic in the organ world.

I am pleased to say that I DO take heed of such things - even if I do wonder at the taste/sanity of those responsible for certain piston settings. (Present company excepted - I've never played the famous Chamade machine!)

TOTALLY off topic - if anyone is interested in an R reg Clio, low mileage, long MOT £1000, pm me.

Contract?  What's that?  :lol:   Never had one at any of the churches where I played - at least, not a written one. I'd bet the majority of the organists in this land don't have a written one either.

I would not agree to a position if there were not a contract. As some of you will know after my skiing accident, I have not been in regular attendance at my usual D of M position. The stupid PP tried to suspend me (as being unfit - Ha Ha, but that's another story :D ) but I quietly pointed to the contract which gave a provision for sickness pay, and after he said that it wasn't really a contract, I threatened him/the diocese with court action -

That was the end of that - I still have a job and am still getting paid!

THAT is why you all need some contract of letter of agreement between you and your churches.

I am pleased to say that I DO take heed of such things - even if I do wonder at the taste/sanity of those responsible for certain piston settings. (Present company excepted - I've never played the famous Chamade machine!)

In which case, you are welcome to contact me and arrange a time when you can try it out!

Incidentally, I have fixed the guest book problem on my website.

The Clio - ? Sorry, but I will pass on that one.

:lol:

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
In which case, you are welcome to contact me and arrange a time when you can try it out!

Incidentally, I have fixed the guest book problem on my website.

The Clio - ? Sorry, but I will pass on that one.

:)

Could be worse - Renault might bring out a Renault Charlotte or a Renault Nymphette :lol::D:D

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
Thank you, Hennie! ;)

Oh how are the fallen mighty!

Even I have to concede that time etc have taken their toll :(

I prefer to remember her as depicted in Lee's pictures! :rolleyes:

Even I have to concede that time etc have taken their toll :(

It's more the "etc" than time surely? :blink:

(Good job there aren't any up-to-date photos of me on the web!)

Edit: Oops, didn't see M'sieur's post! Great minds inhabit the same gutters...

''Good job there aren't any up-to-date photos of me on the web!''

'Spotted one in a back issue of Organists' review the other day though!

AJJ

Guest Lee Blick
Think twice ...

I think this is a little unfair. Miss Church is expecting a baby in those pictures. Whatever way, her twin drawstops are definately of the Doubles variety. And who wouldn't want a 'Copeman & Hart' of a partner like she has :blink:

Guest Patrick Coleman
I think this is a little unfair. Miss Church is expecting a baby in those pictures. Whatever way, her twin drawstops are definately of the Doubles variety. And who wouldn't want a 'Copeman & Hart' of a partner like she has :blink:

Did Copeman or Hart shave their legs?

I think this is a little unfair. Miss Church is expecting a baby in those pictures. Whatever way, her twin drawstops are definately of the Doubles variety. And who wouldn't want a 'Copeman & Hart' of a partner like she has :(

Lee, this may be the case, but to my eyes there is plenty of 'padding' everywhere. Unless she has a different physiology to any normal female homo sapiens, then I am afraid she is simply 'not thin'.

Copeman & Hart? I think that I will pass on that - thank you all the same....

:blink: