Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dr Alan Spedding To Retire

Martin Cox

• 3 weeks later...

STOP PRESS

It would appear that the appointment of Dr.Alan Spedding's successor has gone somewhat fruit-shaped! A somewhat unusually constituted selection panel examined their candidates in early December and have finally got round to offering the post to one of them; I understand he has turned them down. It has now been put out that apparently 'no appointment is going to be made' (!)

Those of us who have been following this locally understand that the primary focus of both interviews and the written examination (!) concerned the use and direction of Music Groups.

As we all watch this space with interest, I would like to commiserate with the short-listed candidates, any of whom in my humble opinion would have given the musical leadership needed to serve such an important place.

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
STOP PRESS

It would appear that the appointment of Dr.Alan Spedding's successor has gone somewhat fruit-shaped!

Those of us who have been following this locally understand that the primary focus of both interviews and the written examination (!) concerned the use and direction of Music Groups.

What a Baroque goings-on! One thing seems quite missing from the ability to be appointed as his successor - the fact that the person must agree to marry Dr Spedding's daughter (if he has one).

Best seasonal greetings,

Nigel

"One thing seems quite missing from the ability to be appointed as his successor - the fact that the person must agree to marry Dr Spedding's daughter (if he has one)."

(Quote)

So his complete name is Dietrich Spedding-Hude ? :)

(we know how the story ends also)

Pierre

• 4 weeks later...
It seems all has been resolved, see here.

Splendid news.

There will be many sighs of relief in these parts. Robert is a splendid musician and made a thoroughly good impression on everyone when he was in East Yorkshire before.

I am interested to find that an appointment can be legally made. I had heard it said by someone who ought to know that any appointment not made by an incumbent is not 'final' or 'binding' in Canon Law.

The news is in the public domain by virtue of the fact that the job of D-of-M at St Mary's Portsea, where Robert Poyser was been D-of-M since August 2008 is advertised in Church Times today and the reason given is that RP has been appointed D-of-M at Beverley. A very musical friend of mine is curate at Portsea; no doubt he is disappointed at losing a new D-of-M so quickly.

Malcolm

Guest Patrick Coleman
I had also understood that to be true. Do you think all concerned are aware of this?

There is a major turnover of staff going on. The Vicar has become an archdeacon in Manchester diocese; one curate a bishop in Saouth America; another a parish priest in York diocese. There is no evidence from the website, diocesan website, or Church Times, of what is being done to fill these posts (or if there is a downsizing exercise going on). Perhaps the appointment has been made at archdeacon or even episcopal level, in which case, there ought to be no issues.

Does anyone actually know more about what is going on? (Only being nosy :P )

I am very pleased to read of the appointment of Robert Poyser to the vacancy at Beverley Minster. :lol:

He was a year ahead of me at Hull Uni (although I am much older than he!) and I can remember how much fun was had at rehearsals in the Chapel Choir under his leadership.

I shall have to go along to Evensong there to re acquaint myself with how it should be done.