Mander Organ Builders Forum

At Least It Was Interesting

sotto

The protracted Worcester saga certainly gave us all plenty to talk about. Initially some contributors were able to express their fondness for the old organ, subsequently we were able to follow in considerable detail progress on its replacement, and finally members were able to comment on, and in some cases, play the new instrument.

It all seems to have gone a bit dull now! A bit a controversy certainly makes life interesting! Cant someone persuade Salisbury that they really need a new Klais, or Truro that neo-baroque is clearly the way forward. We need a cause to get behind I feel.

How about suggesting a campain to drop a bomb upon the west end organ of St Mary's Warwick, or is that just too radical?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... How about suggesting a campain to drop a bomb upon the west end organ of St Mary's Warwick, or is that just too radical?

I agree that we need something new - but I doubt that anyone would miss this instrument; possibly not even Pierre.

Now Truro; that is an interesting idea....

I agree that we need something new - but I doubt that anyone would miss this instrument; possibly not even Pierre.

Now Truro; that is an interesting idea....

What about a big Blockwerk in Winborne ? This is something missing

in the european jigsaw. We need some good gothic organs.

Pierre

What about a big Blockwerk in Winborne ? This is something missing

in the european jigsaw. We need some good gothic organs.

Pierre

The obvious place for a big gothic Blockwerk is a historical reconstruction in Winchester. If the instrument can't be heard 10 miles away the builder doesn't get paid!

....And now, besides jokes, ladies and gentlemen: we just had a discussion

on the french forum about that matter, and came to the conclusion that

the reconstitution of a partial Blockwerk organ, with independant more

solistic stops, like Titelouze knew in Rouen, would be quite interesting.

Provided it would not take the place of any other organ, of courrrrrse,

be it from any period from the antiquity to nowadays.

Pierre

Guest Echo Gamba
The obvious place for a big gothic Blockwerk is a historical reconstruction in Winchester. If the instrument can't be heard 10 miles away the builder doesn't get paid!

Are the Wimborne chamades audible in Winchester? :lol:

It all seems to have gone a bit dull now! A bit a controversy certainly makes like interesting! Cant someone persuade Salisbury that they really need a new Klais, or Truro that neo-baroque is clearly the way forward. We need a cause to get behind I feel.

Wasn't there a plan a year or two back to replace the organ in King's with something more in tune with the Zeitgeist?

Perhaps someone here would like to design a suitable instrument.

Stephen Barber

Are the Wimborne chamades audible in Winchester? :lol:

Unfortunately not - but I did once hear them in a shop (Square Records), about sixty yards away. To be fair, it was summer and there was no background music playing in the shop, but even so....

Wasn't there a plan a year or two back to replace the organ in King's with something more in tune with the Zeitgeist?

Perhaps someone here would like to design a suitable instrument.

Stephen Barber

Apparently this may still happen - if, of course, the rumours are correct.

Guest Roffensis
Apparently this may still happen - if, of course, the rumours are correct.

Kings? Oh, why doesn't this surprise me? LOL!! :lol:

A couple of old flutes are quite nice, but overall a very "glassy" sound to it, certainly not one that I would miss. A bit like like a fat Aunt who has rather too much stuffing at Christmas.

:unsure:

R

Kings? Oh, why doesn't this surprise me? LOL!! :lol:

A couple of old flutes are quite nice, but overall a very "glassy" sound to it, certainly not one that I would miss. A bit like like a fat Aunt who has rather too much stuffing at Christmas.

:unsure:

R

As long as the new one isn't one of those awful equally-tempered things.

Stephen Barber

As long as the new one isn't one of those awful equally-tempered things.

Stephen Barber

In what way?

Does this mean you would prefer an instrument tuned to (for example) Werckmeister III? I wonder how that would work with a lot of the romantic repertoire?

I heard an evensong from Magdalen College, Oxford, a few years ago. Personally I thought that the accompanimnet to the Howells setting they sang sounded dire - purley because of the 'unequal' temperament tuning. I realise that Howells is not the only thing sung there (or at King's). However, King's do perform the odd bit of Howells, Stanford, Bairstow, etc. To my ears, this never seems to sit well on an instrument with anything other than 'equal' temperament tuning.

One day, maybe, it will be realized to play ancient, romantic and modern

"repertoire" (i.e., the music we momentarily like) on the same organ, is a chimera,

as would be chips, Caviar, Strawberry cake, Plum Pudding, oysters, corned beef,

banana,Chili, pork and eggs cooked in the oven in the same plate, and then served

with Chantilly, mint sauce, W... sauce, vinager and ketchup, with as drink a pint

of Ale mixed with Sauternes and Vodka.

(Well, sorry, I have to go to the tiniest room....)

Pierre

One day, maybe, it will be realized to play ancient, romantic and modern

"repertoire" (i.e., the music we momentarily like) on the same organ, is a chimera,

as would be chips, Caviar, Strawberry cake, Plum Pudding, oysters, corned beef,

banana,Chili, pork and eggs cooked in the oven in the same plate, and then served

with Chantilly, mint sauce, W... sauce, vinager and ketchup, with as drink a pint

of Ale mixed with Sauternes and Vodka.

(Well, sorry, I have to go to the tiniest room....)

Pierre

And, whichever one you choose, you will be wrong - in someone's eyes.