Mander Organ Builders Forum

Your Favourite Organ Piece(s) - Ever!

Philip

Having read comments in the Dupre topic about how people view his P&F as one of the best organ pieces ever written, what are everyone's favourites? This could be to play or to listen to (or both!).

It would be extremely mean to say you have to pick one piece alone, so if you have a selection of favourites then list them down here!

I'm intrigued to hear how much of it will be 'mainstream' and whether some pieces will be rather less well known.

Over to you...

Having read comments in the Dupre topic about how people view his P&F as one of the best organ pieces ever written, what are everyone's favourites? This could be to play or to listen to (or both!).

It would be extremely mean to say you have to pick one piece alone, so if you have a selection of favourites then list them down here!

I'm intrigued to hear how much of it will be 'mainstream' and whether some pieces will be rather less well known.

Over to you...

For me it must be Dupré's Psaumes XVIII, op. 47. The most haunting piece for organ.....

Over to you...

Like Desert Island Discs, my favourites change with the wind, but two pieces which always seem to be there in the top 10 are the Whitlock Fanfare and the Widor Symphony 6 1st movement (allegro). My most-listened too recordings of these are Rawsthorne at Liverpool for the Whitlock and Colin Walsh at either Salisbury (BBC broadcast) or Lincoln on a Priory CD.

Richard

This is a good topic.

Quite often I like to draw up my Desert Island Discs, and to be quite honest, would happily survive on the island without any organ music. Bach would be essential, but would be represented either by the St John Passion, or by the Well Tempered Clavier - I am hugely enjoying Angela Hewitt's new recording at the moment. I would probably go for the latter in that it encompasses every emotion known to the human heart, and having quite of a lot of opera and choral music on the island I would want a more abstract, purely instrumental piece.

However, there would be one piece of organ music just to acknowledge how much playing the organ has meant to me in my life (in the same way that there would be one piece of pop music to acknowledge how much I have enjoyed pop and rock music as well).

It would be a piece that I play myself, that I have happy memories of performing, and that I could listen to endlessly in different moods as well, ultimately, as just loving for its sheer beauty.

Step forward .... the Prelude, Adagio and Chorale Variations on the Veni Creator by Maurice Durufle. I woudl take the recording by John Scott at St Paul's which is the one I come back to most of all.

Regards,

m

This is a good topic.

Step forward .... the Prelude, Adagio and Chorale Variations on the Veni Creator by Maurice Durufle. I woudl take the recording by John Scott at St Paul's which is the one I come back to most of all.

Me too - along with all the other Durufle - though the David M. Patrick version from Coventry is my favourite at present.

A

PS Though I still find the jump from the Adagio into the Variations oddly abrupt however many times I listen to it. Everything Durufle does is usually so well poised - this always seems like being woken from a good sleep!

I'm with MAB. Being marooned on a desert island with a diet of nothing but organ music is a penance I would inflict on my enemies, not on myself. Nor would I really be able to nominate just one piece as so much depends on the interpretation and the organ. If I were forced to make a choice and could find my ideal recording I think it would have to be Bach's Trio Sonata no.6.