Mander Organ Builders Forum

Stanley Vann

wolsey

Ironic. Years ago he was turned down for a parish church job on the south coast and then went on to develop and run what was regarded as one of the finest cathedral choirs of its time in the country. He was the winner.

Congratulations to him on reaching 100.

Malcolm

I'm appalled that Dr Vann's centenary did not make it into the list of birthdays in yesterday's Times. Did any other papers include it?

Yet another example of "dumbing down" and the general lack of respect for anything cultural. And this in a country that used to give its top cathedral organists knighthoods. Grrr!

Nothing in the Daily Telegraph either. A great shame. A fine man with whom I had the pleasure of adjudicating in past years.

I did write to the Daily Telegraph and The Times about the lack of coverage, and have received the following reply from the Telegraph:

"Thank you for your note regarding the lack of coverage afforded to Stanley Vann's 100th birthday celebrations.

If we were notified of this milestone then we would have happily looked into it. However, this was something we were unaware of."

The moral of the story then is that we should not be reticent ourselves about approaching the press in advance of similar notable events.

Guest Roffensis
At least the BBC is marking it. Evensong next Wedenesday from Peterborough with his music to the fore. I see Aled Jones will be mentioning it on tomorrow's choir programme as well.

We are missing the point!.... If he was a footballer (whatever that is? <_< ), then he would doubtless be on the front of every newspaper. :angry:

They could have played again one of the historic Choral Evensong broadcast tapes from Peterborough, but they apparently don't have them now, so I gather. I stand to be corrected on this. ! :D:lol: :(It's good they are doing something.

Stanley Vann always drew wonderful results from his Choir. A true Choirmaster.

Richard

We are missing the point!.... If he was a footballer (whatever that is? :blink: ), then he would doubtless be on the front of every newspaper. :lol:

I agree.......And a "footballer" has a career that last for, what, 25 years at best, maybe a little longer if he manages to deflower some watery tart along the way.......