Mander Organ Builders Forum

Techie Help!

I can't get Sibelius to open on my computer! It's an old machine but I've never had any trouble before. Any ideas? Thanks!

My 2d-worth: just as likely to be a problem with the computer as with Sibelius. I would perform the recommended house-keeping tasks for your OS first. Then sacrifice a goat. Good luck.

I would agree with Innate above as a first attempt. Sibelius is a hugely demanding piece of software for most computers. Quite a few processess take place as soon as the software is opened so any computer not in a fit state is going to take time over that, if it ever does open it.

Thanks all! I ran SpyBot after getting all the updates and now it's fine again, Deo gratias!

The goat is relieved too.

The computer is ten years old, but generally does what it's supposed to. I suppose its the equivalent of my 1927 Casavant - ok 99% of the time....

• 1 year later...

OK - the computer finally had to be sent to the equivalent of the Great Compton in the Sky. It had served me well for over ten years. RIP.

Now - the new computer has Windows 7 (local Geekery says Windows 8 is rubbish and people seem to agree with them). I have Sibelius 5. It has problems with Windows 7 and freezes in an early stage of start-up.

I tried the recommended fix to make Sibelius 5 open in Windows 7, which involves removing a file and replacing it. Sibelius wouldn't let me remove the file.

I tried ordering an upgrade from Avid (was going to sooner or later anyway). Avid says my details on my account don't match those on the order. They do. Tried this four times.

Fed up! Going down the road to play Bach for an hour, with much adding of Full Swell towards the end of fugues....

Any suggestions?

I wish I could help, David. I haven’t <frantic touching of all available wood> needed to call Sibelius customer service about a registration/upgrade/payment issue in a long while, but I think that’s your starting point if you're having trouble with your account. Best of luck.

Sorry to state what may already be known, but Avid ‘bought out’ Sibelius- and the genius brothers who developed it are no longer on board. Their (Avid’s) reputation on the forums is not high. When I had a parallel problem, I found that the company’s customer details were not passed over, so they had no record of me. I forebore an upgrade as a result of their lack of concern for customer care, when attempting to solve a musical issue.

In such a case, I would have tried de-installing then re-installing it.

Sibelius 5 was there long before Windows 7 and will probably be incompatible. You need to speak to a computer geek; when I was in school, I often found that 12 year olds were more effective than my colleagues in ICT (!). 10 years is a very good innings for a PC.

DON’T TOUCH WINDOWS 8 ! ! !

If you still have the old PC, it might be an idea to delete all save Sib and just run that on it.

Finally, a goat is the wrong creature: for Sibelius, surely it should be an elk ?

Much application software does not update well, one reason being the enormous cost for the manufacturers of doing it properly when a new version of Windows or whatever comes out. Consequently software suppliers sometimes do a pretty poor job, but you only find out the hard way when it's too late and you have parted with your cash. Trying to load something which worked on XP, say, onto Windows 7 will often not work, and as for Windows 8 ...

10 years is indeed a reasonable innings for a computer but they can easily go on even longer than that. It can be worthwhile keeping an old machine in good running order so that you can continue to run your legacy software, even if it might not be the latest version. In this way you can run two (desktop) machines in parallel - a new one and an old one - and switch between them with a KVM switch in which you just press a button to transfer the monitor/keyboard/mouse between one and the other instantly.

I have an old (2004) XP machine which I use in this way (in fact I maintain three for various purposes!), together with a recent Windows 7 one. Both are internet-connected and networked using an ethernet hub (actually nothing but an old wireless router). Some of my software, both commercial and that which I wrote myself, goes back to the Windows 98 and DOS era and I would not be without it. Although I'm fairly IT-aware I've decided that this is the best solution - for me at any rate. It's a way to combat the worst effects of obsolescence. These older machines can be bought very cheaply, you fit them with brand new HDDs and then you load XP (or whatever) onto them. Incidentally, I've found from recent practical experience that Microsoft appear to be far more relaxed about how many machines you load your copy of XP onto - they seem to activate each copy without any issues today whereas that would not have been the case while XP was still in support prior to April this year.

Good luck though whichever way you go.

CEP

Their (Avid’s) reputation on the forums is not high.

That's putting it diplomatically. They are noted for buying up software simply to cash in on sales, without commitment to product development or customer care. I see that they have released a minor upgrade to Sibelius and have said they intend to support it, but their track record isn't good. I was once considering moving from Finale to Sibelius, but I certainly wouldn't do so now.

They have also recently discontinued, for no apparent good reason, two very popular audio/MIDI interfaces used by many of us who have practice organs at home.

They have also recently discontinued, for no apparent good reason, two very popular audio/MIDI interfaces used by many of us who have practice organs at home.

I believe they drop the products once the rate of return becomes unacceptable. No doubt the same will happen to Sibelius in due course.