Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bristol Cathedral - new organ

DaveHarries

No no no. Not a replacement for that superb (IMO) 4-manual organ.

I thought it might be of interest to members of this forum to know that, within the last couple of months, Bristol Cathedral has acquired a new 1-manual organ of 4 stops. The instrument was built by Kenneth Tickell & Company (Northampton) and was paid for by private donation.

The manual has 54 notes and the specification is:

Stop Diapason 8

Principal 4

Flute 4

Octave 2

I have heard it in use during services and it sounds very nice.

Photo: http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/14103794@N04/11090346115/

HTIOI,

Dave

Me too, and still have. What parts may have come from the retail chain figuring so prominently in the picture?

Probably none But Every Little Helps :) : Ken Tickell typically has his metal pipes made by Terry Shires - there is a long standing relationship there.

AFAIK, Ken has some good craftsmen in his workshop and the majority of the woodwork - soundboards, casework, action, and typically wooden pipes - will normally have been made in-house. I'm not sure if he makes his own keyboards or does his own carving - it may vary between project to project.

Me too, and still have. What parts may have come from the retail chain figuring so prominently in the picture?

None. Sorry about the appearance of that but it was unintentional.

Probably none :) : Ken Tickell typically has his metal pipes made by Terry Shires - there is a long standing relationship there.

AFAIK, Ken has some good craftsmen in his workshop and the majority of the woodwork - soundboards, casework, action, and typically wooden pipes - will normally have been made in-house. I'm not sure if he makes his own keyboards or does his own carving - it may vary between project to project.

I believe that, in the case of the Tickell at Worcester Cathedral, the console was made in-house by one of K.T's staff. I seem to recall hearing that it was the first one the member of staff in question had made solo as well.

Dave

None. Sorry about the appearance of that but it was unintentional.

I believe that, in the case of the Tickell at Worcester Cathedral, the console was made in-house by one of K.T's staff. I seem to recall hearing that it was the first one the member of staff in question had made solo as well.

Dave

The Worcester keyboard/piston assemblies were by P&S who supply top quality keyboards for most UK builders, I'm fairly sure that the other console fitments (drawstops etc.) will be P&S.

• 7 months later...