Mander Organ Builders Forum

Alcock - Impromptu in G

Paul Isom

I've just heard Daniel Cook playing the Alcock - Impromptu in G on his Youtube channel and would really like to get hold of a copy.  There are two impromptus on IMSLP, one in Ab, the other in D (contained in 'The Organ).  This one does not seem to appear anywhere.  Does anyone have a copy that they might be able to scan for me??

I've found two Impromptus by Walter Alcock. one in D and the other in D flat but I can't find the one in G. I did, however, watch the Daniel Cook performance. The music he is performing from looks interesting in that it has been cut out and stuck onto a much larger page, possibly for ease of performance.

With one notable exception I have always found Cathedral organists hugely helpful in sourcing copies. Daniel Cook's website gives contact details. Why not drop him a line?

Smashing little piece by the way!

I was looking for this a while ago on the strength of a reference in Hardwick’s British Organ Music of the Twentieth Century.

Slightly frustrating that it’s out of copyright and as observed above two other impromptus by Alcock are easily available, but it has been reprinted by Fitzjohn Music Publication in A Walter Alcock Organ Album:

https://www.impulse-music.co.uk/fitzjohnmusic/organ/

Thank you for the information. The excitement mounts ....

I was a bit put off Alcock by hacking through his Marche Triomphale a while ago. It struck me as jolly difficult, and not very grateful on the ear. If I put in the effort of learning it I doubted anyone would thank me for it, so time better deployed elsewhere.

The G major Impromptu seems a more approachable and useful piece all round.

Have you tried his Introduction & Passacaglia? It needs a large organ with good registration aids and it has its tricky moments but it's worth powering through... and if that's an impossible thought, enjoy listening to it...  perhaps the Colin Walsh/Lincoln recording... on YouTube. Music is on IMSLP. 

Thank you for the recommendation. It’s not a piece I know well. Had a recording (now mislaid ...) of Stephen Cleobury playing it at King’s.

Surprising I haven’t at least had a hack through it now so many scores are available on line, for I am partial to a decent passacaglia.

Possibly it was with vague memories of it that I had some hopes of the Marche and was thus the more disappointed. Then again, might merely have been a bad day when I looked at it. 🙂🙁

The Introduction and Passacaglia is a very nice piece, and built on a nice theme. I'm partial to passacaglias as well, and have been working on it myself in my enthusiastic amateur's way. Some echos of Reger's I&P, but still original and not terribly difficult. I don't think I've ever heard it, which is a great pity, and needs putting right.