Mander Organ Builders Forum

Unknown piece

Bevington

I wonder if anyone recognizes the music heard on the link below, (which I hope connects). It was recorded by by my former teacher, the late Lindsay O'Neill FRCO, on a Brindley and Foster organ, at that time a large two manual. Lindsay O'Neill was a very fine  improviser, and at one time studied with Harold Darke, although the music sounds perhaps more like Whitlock?

A few years after the recording, the organ was enlarged by Walkers, (and includes a 32 reed and tuba). Sadly, it is now rarely used, due to the church moving to contemporary styles of worship and music.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

https://youtu.be/nKzg_vB6Q38

It's a rather lovely piece, whatever it is.  My first thought was Delius, although it's nothing that I know. My second thought, given that the Launceston in question here is the one in Tasmania, not Cornwall, was to wonder whether it might be Edgar Bainton—but I'm not aware that he wrote any organ music and the style is probably a bit too chromatic for him.  I suspect that this is an original organ piece and not an arrangement, although that's just a guess.

It is indeed a beautiful piece, and it was typical of my teacher to discover little gems that no-one else seemed to play. Additionally, he liked to make his own arrangements of pieces. His repertoire interest was broad - just as happy to play a little Handel Minuet he had arranged, as he was to perform Messiaen and everything inbetween. The short theme sounds so familiar.

I’m pretty certain you have solved the mystery.  ‘Folk Tune’ is dedicated to the memory of Delius so people’s instincts were sound about that link.  I have only heard one other recorded performance by Anthony Wilson on YouTube. Agreed that Lindsay O’Neill’s is particularly fine.  In fact, both performances are fine, albeit on different instruments.

Thank you for solving the mystery. Yes that's it - it's Greenhill. As soon  as I read the composer's name, I dimly recalled seeing a copy of the music at an organ lesson, (decades ago, and decades after the recording). Certainly worth seeking out and playing today.