Mander Organ Builders Forum

Advent organ music

Martin Cooke

I am never sure I have really found the best voluntary for an Advent Carol Service. I can't play the Andrew Carter piece! I tend to think that a Bach OB-lein CP (Nun komm for me) followed by a minor key P&F is the most dignified ending, but I have also tried the WS Lloyd Webber piece on Helmsley and the Cuthbert Harris one on Veni Emmanuel - IMSLP. The Bach Wachet Auf  always features somewhere as does the Karg-Elert. What else should I be considering? (There's a Wachet Auf piece in the OUP Hymn Settings for Organists series which is hilarious but might possibly frighten the natives.) 

Very happy that this post might be expanded into considering all Advent organ music - ie, for pre-service music too - feel free. I'm ok generally for Advent, tbh, but would value some thoughts on grand post-service music for the evening service.  Is the Rowley Veni Emmanuel piece on anyone's agenda these days. I have used it but sort of hope there's nobody around!!

1 hour ago, Martin Cooke said:

Is the Rowley Veni Emmanuel piece on anyone's agenda these days. I have used it but sort of hope there's nobody around!!

Hmmm … that’s a funny one, isn’t it? (I don’t know it but have just had a look at it.)

I like the Harris when I’m in the mood for some healthy old-fashioned vulgarity.

For the virtuoso players there is Mendelssohn’s “Overture to St Paul” which opens with his majestic harmonisation of “Wachet auf”.   I have heard magisterial performances by Thomas Trotter, most memorably at Birmingham Town Hall (how on earth did Sean Rafferty have such a distorted idea of that organ?) and at the opening of the new Tickell organ of Manchester Cathedral.  

The audience reaction at the latter was particularly interesting.  I guess that very few present were organ aficionados - the great and good of the region were very prominent! - and I felt the unfamiliarity with some of the repertoire was obvious, people slightly restless in their seats looking straight ahead and that kind of thing.  There was a visible reaction to the opening bars of “St Paul”: people sat up and it was undoubtedly the highlight of that special occasion.

Of course, there’s also Reger  …   …

One of Jeanne Demessieux's 'chorals ornés' in the collection Twelve Chorale Preludes on Gregorian Chant Themes for Organ (Summy-Birchard Music, 1950 and then 1995) is on Rorate caeli.  It may not be a final voluntary, but might work well before a service.

The Cecilia McDowall Advent Antiphons are very much worth a look, and not hugely difficult (two are down for ARCO in the current syllabus). There's also a set by Nico Muhly but they have some more taxing moments. The Leighton Helmsley piece is harder than it looks, I think.... he also wrote a stand-alone Veni Redemptor Fantasy, but it's pretty difficult. Hakim Sinfonia in honorem John the B is concise and effective, and there's also a three-mvt piece called Canticum based on Advent plainsongs. I'm pretty sure there's a short Reger Wachet Auf CP in one of the collections: Vol 1 of the Karg-Elert Op 65 is Advent and Christmas based. Little partita by Anton Heiller on Nun Komm der Heiden Heiland. The short Dupre CPs might have some useful things, but they tend to be short of course. The OUP hymn prelude series has an Advent volume, I'm pretty sure. And you may still be able to get hold of the Novello Festal Voluntaries Advent/Xmas volume if you're lucky - can't remember what's in it though.

Just now, sjf1967 said:

The Cecilia McDowall Advent Antiphons are very much worth a look, and not hugely difficult (two are down for ARCO in the current syllabus). There's also a set by Nico Muhly but they have some more taxing moments. The Leighton Helmsley piece is harder than it looks, I think.... he also wrote a stand-alone Veni Redemptor Fantasy, but it's pretty difficult. Hakim Sinfonia in honorem John the B is concise and effective, and there's also a three-mvt piece called Canticum based on Advent plainsongs. I'm pretty sure there's a short Reger Wachet Auf CP in one of the collections: Vol 1 of the Karg-Elert Op 65 is Advent and Christmas based. Little partita by Anton Heiller on Nun Komm der Heiden Heiland. The short Dupre CPs might have some useful things, but they tend to be short of course. The OUP hymn prelude series has an Advent volume, I'm pretty sure. And you may still be able to get hold of the Novello Festal Voluntaries Advent/Xmas volume if you're lucky - can't remember what's in it though.

Also a very good Distler Nun komm Partita....

• 1 month later...

Piet Kee's Fantasia on Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (Sleepers, wake) is a possibility. It was originally published as one of Two Pieces by Hinrichsen (H810b), now Edition Peters.  It's long been out of print, but it looks as if it can be purchased again from abroad. In addition, libraries may have it on their shelves.  If you can get hold of Volume 1 of Choralvorspiele für Orgel zum Gotteslob (Carus catalogue no. 18.202), Kai Schreiber's bluesy chorale prelude Herr, send herab uns deinen Sohn is effective. A redacted preview is viewable on page 19 of the document here.

11 hours ago, wolsey said:

Piet Kee's Fantasia on Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (Sleepers, wake) is a possibility. It was originally published as one of Two Pieces by Hinrichsen (H810b), now Edition Peters.  It's long been out of print, but it looks as if it can be purchased again from abroad. In addition, libraries may have it on their shelves.  If you can get hold of Volume 1 of Choralvorspiele für Orgel zum Gotteslob (Carus catalogue no. 18.202), Kai Schreiber's bluesy chorale prelude Herr, send herab uns deinen Sohn is effective. A redacted preview is viewable on page 19 of the document here.

which reminds me - anything useful in the Helmut Walcha chorale preludes?

Edited by sjf1967
typo

Thanks very much for all these thoughts - most helpful. I've been swatting up the Bach B minor and F minor P&Fs but I am also tempted to use the Pierné Prélude - (which I have played for years) - as the concluding voluntary for the Advent carol service. I chanced upon a recording of it the other day and the opening strikes me as having just the right feeling of warmth and solemnity for the start of Advent. By the way, I am very vexed, looking forward, that the 'new' feast, 'Baptism of Christ' nudges Epiphany out of the top spot, as it were for the first Sunday in January. I have always loved Epiphany and it seems quite wrong that it has to jostle with other things that, to my mind, seem to be less significant, in worship terms. There we are! Hey ho! Back to Advent... I'm just going to look into sjf's suggesting regarding the McDowell.

• 3 weeks later...