Mander Organ Builders Forum

Anyone know the name of this piece? Is it available?

peter ellis

47 minutes ago, madorganist said:

You might get some response if you try one of the organ related "Book of Face" pages. Google assistant admitted defeat and  Shazam gave plenty of hopelessly wrong suggestions.

A rather tedious piece I thought.

Thanks - Shazam opened up a whole new world of possibilities - just not the right one. And I think it's one of those pieces that will work well for occasional impact - but I wouldn't have it on repeat in the car. 

19 minutes ago, sbarber49 said:

I thought it was improvising until I saw there was a copy

There is some minuscule printed text at the foot of the final pages of the score.  I can’t decipher it with my basic IT equipment, and it might be nothing more than a copyright notice, but others here with better facilities might have more success.

Sir James has composed a surprising amount of organ music. This only became apparent to me after I had the privilege of being the page-turner for a couple of recordings on this CD [Freak out | Extraordinary music for organ - Regent Records (regent-records.co.uk)] – including the MacMillan. The ‘Rouault’ is a fascinating, kaleidoscopic work which, to me, seems to require an organist equipped with four arms.

sjf1967 will, of course, know this, as he recorded it on his wonderful (Apple-linked above) CD [James MacMillan: Organ Works | RES10266 – Resonus Classics & Inventa Records], which I purchased after my trip to Suffolk. Some of these pieces need  to be listened to several times for their qualities to become manifest.

Until my visit, I had somehow not managed to hear the fabulous Holbrook Grand Organ [NPOR | N00981], despite having lived some twenty miles away. This vast, gorgeous, basilica-esque Chapel (with a second organ in the Choir area) has a reverberation period which rivals St Paul’s Cathedral. If at all possible, I would urge members to make a pilgrimage.

I must admit to being rather spellbound hearing the piece at the end of the service for the installation of David Monteith as Dean of Canterbury. It was certainly a talking point and, at the time, and now, seemed highly appropriate.

The composer and title wasn't acknowledged on the programme which is a shame. I do notice that, apart from the sung Sunday morning Mass, the organ voluntary is rarely given in the Order of Music for the month.

4 hours ago, John Furse said:

Sir James has composed a surprising amount of organ music. This only became apparent to me after I had the privilege of being the page-turner for a couple of recordings on this CD [Freak out | Extraordinary music for organ - Regent Records (regent-records.co.uk)] – including the MacMillan. The ‘Rouault’ is a fascinating, kaleidoscopic work which, to me, seems to require an organist equipped with four arms.

sjf1967 will, of course, know this, as he recorded it on his wonderful (Apple-linked above) CD [James MacMillan: Organ Works | RES10266 – Resonus Classics & Inventa Records], which I purchased after my trip to Suffolk. Some of these pieces need  to be listened to several times for their qualities to become manifest.

Until my visit, I had somehow not managed to hear the fabulous Holbrook Grand Organ [NPOR | N00981], despite having lived some twenty miles away. This vast, gorgeous, basilica-esque Chapel (with a second organ in the Choir area) has a reverberation period which rivals St Paul’s Cathedral. If at all possible, I would urge members to make a pilgrimage.

I'm glad you liked it! Yes, the Rouault is pretty taxing, but worth the effort in every way - as I think is all JM's organ music (some of which is not at all difficult). As you probably know there's also an extraordinary concerto - A Scotch Bestiary  - written for the opening of the Walt Disney Hall organ in 2004. I've done it twice, and I think there are still only three people in the world who've played it....needs a HUGE orchestra which is probably why it only gets very rare outings. There's just one recording, conducted by the composer. We couldn't afford to record it again for the organ works disc....