Mander Organ Builders Forum

Any thoughts?

Martin Cooke

Anyone have any feedback from things they've watched or listened to over Christmas?

The thing that caught my ear was the little bit that Daniel Hyde had done for the refrain in the final verse of 'O come, all ye faithful.' It was only used in the Radio service - not the televised service. I see it as a very worthwhile enhancement of the Willocks v7 organ arrangement - splendid both in terms of descant finale and organ harmonisation, complementing the Willocks very well. Worth a listen or a few minutes' transcription if you missed it! 

York and Truro remain my 'go to' places to keep up with - a shame that Trinity, Cambridge only functions in term time.

Oh... and... I've seen tweets about King's commenting on Once in Royal being in G flat major, and Hark! the herald being in F major - this being a universally 'good thing' it seems. I must admit, when having to sing it in recent years I have found the top E's a strain, so would welcome this if I were singing it again. 

And, I must admit to loathing versions of the readings at a traditional 9L&C other than King James. As I may have said before, I don't really feel the CofE has gained anything at all by shunning this is favour or the garbled versions commonly in use in church which seem to me no more intelligible. 

Not much worth commenting on really; so far have only listened to the radio service from KCC.   Usual high standard. Nice to hear new pieces, especially from  JW.  Good to take the broom to the accumulated cobwebs and dead leaves on these occasions.

Organ sounds pretty good. Good work from H&H in sparking the Old Girl up a bit.

Re` comments on the KJ version; yes, it is good to hear readings recited in this format ; possesses a certain quaint and anachronistic charm all of its own.

However I must comment on the First Reading. The Little Darling  not only enunciated his vowels ( or should it be " viols "  ( think about it ) but he completely masticated and mangled them to the n`th degree , but only IMHO of course.

Still have the  anticipated pleasure of watching the TV version.  That, I always think is worth its weight in the selection of thought provoking readings.  Would be interested in knowing about the criteria employed in their selection.

Finally I was amused by a piece I had not heard before which was played as the final piece   in the Afternoon Concert on B3 prior to evensong from Lancing College, namely  "Mrs. Beatons Christmas Pudding,"  directed by  Stephen Cleobury.  Quite delightful in its own way.

Anyway, here`s raising a scotch , or three, to the next twelve months to all forum members.

Different year..............same old..............

18 hours ago, sbarber49 said:

Yes, but so many? No carols to my mind till 4 lessons and 34 minutes in: just Christmas anthems and hymns.

I am fully tolerant to listen to anything................apart from that wretched " Silent Night ". Makes me want to turn in my grave!

On 26/12/2023 at 12:21, Martin Cooke said:

The thing that caught my ear was the little bit that Daniel Hyde had done for the refrain in the final verse of 'O come, all ye faithful.' It was only used in the Radio service - not the televised service. I see it as a very worthwhile enhancement of the Willocks v7 organ arrangement - splendid both in terms of descant finale and organ harmonisation, complementing the Willocks very well. Worth a listen or a few minutes' transcription if you missed it! 

Fully agree - it sounded 'just right' to complement the Willcocks arrangement.  I hope it gets published.  When he took over, Daniel Hyde had a rather annoying habit of clipping the final chord of a verse or piece, but he seems to have dropped that now - mostly.  Also good to hear Bach's In dulci jubilo played after the radio service in a clear and measured way.

7 hours ago, bam said:

Fully agree - it sounded 'just right' to complement the Willcocks arrangement.  I hope it gets published.  When he took over, Daniel Hyde had a rather annoying habit of clipping the final chord of a verse or piece, but he seems to have dropped that now - mostly.  Also good to hear Bach's In dulci jubilo played after the radio service in a clear and measured way.

The other thing about this, is that they took O come, all ye faithful in A flat major so that the 32ft reed could go down properly for WORD of the father. 

20 hours ago, bam said:

I never noticed that "clipping" but it reminds me that I never liked Philip Ledger's habit of only leaving one beat between verses.

On 03/01/2024 at 18:08, Martin Cooke said:

The other thing about this, is that they took O come, all ye faithful in A flat major so that the 32ft reed could go down properly for WORD of the father. 

It was in G on the Radio service - at least on "catch up" in 'sounds' it is.