Mander Organ Builders Forum

First We Had 'arty', Now 'big Ma'am'!

Guest Lee Blick

did u guys read the comments about the video on her site, about how it was ad-hoc without the music etc etc

Yes. I think it is worth making the point that, despite the impression given by Ms Joynes's complaint, hardly anyone here actually passed any comment on her playing at all. Basically there was Lee's original post and two replies. Of the two replies, mine was actually intended to be supportive, not condemnatory, and I don't read any criticism in the other reply either. After those posts the thread went off at a tangent to discuss the Pershore organ and Hauptwerk.

I heartily agree with pcnd that it would be a shame if Ms Joynes gave up the organ because of what has been written here. Whilst it is understandable that her personal message has stimulated more comments than Lee's original post, may I suggest that it might be more helpful if we all desist and quietly let the matter drop? Least said, soonest mended and all that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that I am correct in stating that a recent predecessor of the present incumbent was the Rev. Michael Tristram* - son of Geoffrey Tristram,

* This may be the Rev. Canon Michael Tristram who is currently a Canon Pastor at Portsmouth Cathedral.

A quick look at Crockford's confirms that it is the same.

He was a Solicitor briefly before ordination.

Guest Cynic
Firstly, without wishing to point a finger at any contributors (since many of us have written comments we probably wish we had not, at one time or another), what a shame that this lady has felt so discouraged by comments made on this board.

Secondly, I believe that I am correct in stating that a recent predecessor of the present incumbent was the Rev. Michael Tristram* - son of Geoffrey Tristram, who (as many will know) was a previous Organist and Master of the Choristers at Christchurch Priory. He was responsible for de-commissioning the pipe organ in the priory and having it replaced with a toaster. I wonder if there is a trend, here?

Personally, I find it hard to believe that the Vicar wished to dispose of this:

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...c_index=N12480#

Even if it needed restoration, I should have thought that it would have been possible to put the instrument in working order for the price of a large, new toaster.

* This may be the Rev. Canon Michael Tristram who is currently a Canon Pastor at Portsmouth Cathedral. For the record (and in the light of an observation made in the above quote) I have no evidence that he was responsible, either wholly or in part, for the removal of the JWW Walker organ in Pershore Abbey.

Please forgive me if you have read this comment here before - I post it every time the topic of Pershore Abbey comes up because I feel very strongly about this particular case. The organ adviser [to Pershore Abbey] was John Norman, now Chairman of BIOS. he suggested the sale of their substantial J.W.Walker 3-decker and the commissioning of a 'French specification' Bradford Computing 'organ' and went on to design it for them (for which service I understand he was paid). How are we ever supposed to trust such a guardian of our heritage again?

[Well, I dont.]

Please forgive me if you have read this comment here before - I post it every time the topic of Pershore Abbey comes up because I feel very strongly about this particular case. The organ adviser [to Pershore Abbey] was John Norman, now Chairman of BIOS. he suggested the sale of their substantial J.W.Walker 3-decker and the commissioning of a 'French specification' Bradford Computing 'organ' and went on to design it for them (for which service I understand he was paid). How are we ever supposed to trust such a guardian of our heritage again?

[Well, I dont.]

I thought that Norman was a total advocate of 'the pipe organ at all costs' brigade - well, not seemingly when his holiday in the Algarve is at stake, if what you say is true.

Whenever I hear someone mention Pershore I think back to the '60s. The organist then, Rodney Baldwin, had a national reputation. I recall he was a keen advocate of the C P E Bach organ sonatas. I don't recall ever hearing the Pershore pipe organ, but on paper it looks very fine indeed.

Whenever I hear someone mention Pershore I think back to the '60s. The organist then, Rodney Baldwin, had a national reputation. I recall he was a keen advocate of the C P E Bach organ sonatas. I don't recall ever hearing the Pershore pipe organ, but on paper it looks very fine indeed.

I tuned the organ for a couple of special occasions when Rodney Baldwin was organist. It was a difficult instrument to tune but in Rodney's hands it sounded well.

FF

To Sheila:

I have a degree in organ and I will not play the Widor, as I cannot – and I cannot from memory! I suppose I could if I did some practice.

Congratulations and I commend you for being a musician that can just play from memory, when asked, without preparation. You did a fine job and the snipers can just be simply forgotten – pay them no interest. They simply need not exist. See the folks who support you in your endeavors and keep making music on piano, organ or cello…whatever.

Thank you lady with the balls to do what few men would dare to do.

I commend you.

WM