Mander Organ Builders Forum

Celebrities As Organists

MusingMuso

I love his original music, especially his soundtrack to the (original) film 'Bedazzled' which includes (amongst other things) a couple of fake 'Tope of the Pops' items, the second of which prefigures punk by several years.

Ah - you mean

- I'm sure nothing better's been written in the last 50 years (except possibly by Brian Wilson).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
Further to the revelation that Jo Brand is to appear as a celebrity/organist in the forthcoming (2007) BBC series, I heard that Paris Hilton is to take up the French Horn.

Could this merely be a rumour?

:blink:

MM

Is this the dear sweet girl whose monniker popularised the trend for naming your child after the place where they were conceived? I'm sorry, but at this point my almost complete ignorance takes over, knowing nothing about either 'celebrities' or the French Horn.

• 2 months later...

"Jo Brand is taking organ lessons, and is known to love the music of Bach especially........."

Further to this, "Play It Again" starts on BBC1 on Sunday 25th March at 8pm, with Jo Brand learning to play the organ as previously mentioned...........

Don't miss it!

Graham

From what I understand of the programme's content, I think it will come as a major disappointment to many members of this board.

I understand that Jo Brand is learning to play the organ in order to accompany dancers in a famous ballroom at a well-known North-West of England resort! On the other hand, I don't know over what duration the programme has been recorded, and it might be expecting a bit much for a novice to learn some decent Bach to a reasonable performance standard in a month or two!

However she obviously likes 'proper' organ music as I note that, in this morning's Desert Island Discs (on which she was guest) her luxury item was a church organ :) She didn't chose any organ music among her eight discs though.....

There is a precedent. I remember that Robin Richmond chose the RAH organ as his luxury item, and Roy Plomley allowed him to have it, provided that he didn't live inside it!

From what I understand of the programme's content, I think it will come as a major disappointment to many members of this board.

I understand that Jo Brand is learning to play the organ in order to accompany dancers in a famous ballroom at a well-known North-West of England resort! On the other hand, I don't know over what duration the programme has been recorded, and it might be expecting a bit much for a novice to learn some decent Bach to a reasonable performance standard in a month or two!

However she obviously likes 'proper' organ music as I note that, in this morning's Desert Island Discs (on which she was guest) her luxury item was a church organ :) She didn't chose any organ music among her eight discs though.....

There is a precedent. I remember that Robin Richmond chose the RAH organ as his luxury item, and Roy Plomley allowed him to have it, provided that he didn't live inside it!

===============================

That is a little disappointing; knowing how Jo Brand has a great love of "proper" organ-music.

However, I can assure anyone who has not tried, that even accompanying a waltz on a theatre-organ requires a little bit more than a pedal and left-hand which merely go, "thump" "chug" "chug."

Counter-melody is an all important part of playing this sort of music, and has the effect of keeping the harmonic rhythm bubbling along nicely, rather than coming to an abrupt halt every time the melody has a long-held note. Also, detachment plays a crucial role in good, secure rhythm; whilst accompanying in strict ballroom rhythm can be deadly dull if insufficient attention is given to lifting the fingers as well as plonking them down on the right keys.

It may be a different way of playing the organ, but speaking personally, the time I have spent playing light-music or practising on a Wurlitzer, did my CLASSICAL playing a great deal of good, because I was more aware of shaping and phrasing melody, as well as allowing moments of daylight to enter the music.

Interestingly, if Jo Brand is taking her lessons from Phil Kelsall, she will be in the hands of one of the best hymnn accompanists I know!

Of course, we'd all be in for a shock if, on turning on the TV, we discover that she's going to accompany the dancing by playing the Lefuebre-Wely "Bolero."

MM

Is this the dear sweet girl whose monniker popularised the trend for naming your child after the place where they were conceived? I'm sorry, but at this point my almost complete ignorance takes over, knowing nothing about either 'celebrities' or the French Horn.

=======================

I missed this one Paul......sorry!

I think you must be referring to Victoria Beckham......"Thin" spice I call her! (She was a "Spice Girl"....a "Pop" group)

She is married to the footballer, David Beckham, and he kicks balls for a living.

The only time I ever tried the French Horn, it cost me a £50 call out charge just to open the drain-plug and let out the water!

MM

===============================

That is a little disappointing; knowing how Jo Brand has a great love of "proper" organ-music.

<snip>

Interestingly, if Jo Brand is taking her lessons from Phil Kelsall, she will be in the hands of one of the best hymn accompanists I know!

<snip>

According to an interview with JB in today's Guradian she ends up playing at the RAH.

According to an interview with JB in today's Guradian she ends up playing at the RAH.

Now I've seen a trail for the programme there seems to be a lot more church organ and less Wurlitzer than the BBC's original press release indicated. Hopefully that means it will interest a wider cross-section of viewers.

Now I've seen a trail for the programme there seems to be a lot more church organ and less Wurlitzer than the BBC's original press release indicated. Hopefully that means it will interest a wider cross-section of viewers.

A good page has appeared at BBC online here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/playitagain/pro...eries1/jobrand/

I couldn't load the programme clips, but did manage to load the organ tutorial, which features an old friend of this board seated at - I think - the BBC Maida Vale Compton!

Well, Jo Brand gave it a go! Did you see the programme tonite? Personally, I would have been more nerve-wracked playing the waltz for the ballroom crew in Blackpool than bashing out the Toccata.... :P Not sure what edition she played the "Bach" from... some of it she seemed to be playing one handed instead of the customary two... Still, as one contributor said, she had balls to do it!

Aah, our good friend Stephen Farr is helping out too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/playitagain/learning/organ/

Since Jo Brand's tutor is Hilary Davan Wetton, I think we can safely assume that it won't be a Hammond.

;)

A Hammond did make an appearance! Good to see Jools Holland, one of the truly talented musicians this country has!

• 1 month later...
Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

(MusingMuso @ Jan 2 2007, 01:55 PM) *

Then there is an opening sequence in the film "The Bostonians," (1984) starring Vanessa Redgrave, Jessica Tandy and Christopher Reeve. The opening music, on film, is played by some obscure English organist or other, improvising on the organ of St.Augustine's, Kilburn. I feel sure that Nigel Allcoat would know something about this.

MM

I'm not sure I knew who or where the opening sequence was filmed, but will look again as I have it on Betamax somewhere!

The opening music, wasn't an improvisation though. It was a set of variations on America (or as we know it God save the Queen). It may well have been the Rinck version or something similar, or even specially written. Likewise I'll check against my Rinck score.

Jonathan :wacko:

Indeed Nigel The Obscure was the player and the improviser for the Merchant Ivory film! To put the record straight, it happened thus. A call came one day whilst I was the D of M at this church in London as the production team found that a number of tiny musical things were missing from the film track - notably a small moment of organ music to link into some orchestral/band music that had already been recorded in USA. I agreed to record the snippet required and met up with the sound engineer at the church. He was most taken with the place and asked to hear the noble Willis in all its glory and so I flashed out some variations to display the multifarious timbres and combinations. As they wanted just a snip of 'God Bless America', I used that as the basis of the demo. One thing led to another and I had a Mr Merchant (who I had never heard of until that time - I was a Carry On fan in my youth), on the phone later that day saying he wanted to film me doing what I had done earlier in the day for the recording man, as he had just heard the demo tape. So I was measured up for a costume and made (honestly) to look like Wyatt Earp with tall boots and wing collar. Such a laugh! Then for 4 hours or more they filmed me in and from every conceivable angle - and playing these damned variations until my brain was about to have a tea party. I was never told how they would use the material. They also found out they had forgotten to include a recording of a choir rehearsing Brahms' Alto Rhapsody - so I had to gather an extra 18 professional men from London's choirs to augment mine at the church for that. I couldn't show my face (for numerous reasons, including that I was not part of The Union). But you just catch a fleeting glimpse of my chin and a vast exposure of Germani Pedal technique and Czerny finger work.

But the shock came when the film came out. I went the day after it did, and was horrified to see the opening as it is SO incongrous. An H & H console trying to be Boston in the 19th century. Ugh! Then a choir member went to see it, and as it often was in those days, it was possible to buy a vinyl recording of the film music. He did and there was the 2 or 3 minutes of improvised bombast as "Title Music" but "composed by Richard Robbins" the Merchant Ivory in-house composer. It suddenlty dawned on them that my music was the only contemporary music in the film and thus it all became a question of royalties. A law suit was then initiated and I won my case because Mr Robbins was quite unable to provide the score of this 'piece'. Nor could I, but I certainly could provide them with another 3 hours straight from the little grey cells and 'play it again Nige'. PRS then took up the reins on my behalf but in subsequent DVD's and videos, the title music credits etc. have been subtly changed to erase my name on some lines. In retrospect, I wish I could have played the piano for Room with a View. Far more romantic. For film/tele buffs - my hands and feet featured in a Play for Today, called Penda's Fen. A strange enigmatic drama set around Worcester and Elgar (in a wheelchair for a change), a Milk Float and The Devil. They don't tell 'em like that anymore!

All the best.

Nigel

A strange enigmatic drama set around Worcester and Elgar, a Milk Float and The Devil. They don't make 'em like that anymore!

====================================

There be strange things 'appening around those parts.

:wacko:

MM

Further to the revelation that Jo Brand is to appear as a celebrity/organist in the forthcoming (2007) BBC series, I heard that Paris Hilton is to take up the French Horn.

Could this merely be a rumour?

:huh:

MM

I had heard the she was better on the one-eyed piccolo :lol:

To the despair of my wife, I adore Paris Hilton. I'll teach her anything she wants! :D

=============================

I am so relieved that I don't do the "Femme fatal" thing....well...apart from my friend "Lucy Lashes," who can whip up a cocktail with a flick of her wrist.

Give me women like "The two fat ladies" any day .....good food without distractions.

MM

Guest Lee Blick
To the despair of my wife, I adore Paris Hilton. I'll teach her anything she wants! :lol:

I would imagine Paris Hilton already knows everything about the organ. As to the Two Fat Slags Ladies, you really have no TASTE, MM. :P

=============================

Give me women like "The two fat ladies" any day .....good food without distractions.

MM

Ummm.... At least one of them is no longer with us - are you still interested?

(I assume that we are not talking necrophilia, here.)

Guest Lee Blick

Celebrities I would like to see take up the organ:

Cristiano Ronaldo (footballer)

Alan Smith (footballer)

Joshua Bell (violinist)

Danny Dyer (actor)

Paris Hilton (socialite)

Ummm.... At least one of them is no longer with us - are you still interested?

(I assume that we are not talking necrophilia, here.)

=========================

Which reminds me of the man who wrote to the problam page:-

"Dear Marj, I have so many problems. I enjoy bestiality and sadism in equal measure, but recently I've become interest in necrophilia. Have you any advice that you can give me, or am I flogging a dead horse?"

B)

MM

=========================

Which reminds me of the man who wrote to the problam page:-

"Dear Marj, I have so many problems. I enjoy bestiality and sadism in equal measure, but recently I've become interest in necrophilia. Have you any advice that you can give me, or am I flogging a dead horse?"

;)

MM

Oh God....

B)