Mander Organ Builders Forum

Indexes For Journals

Good Evening, I'm doing some research for my dissertation and would like to find some articles from organ related journals. Unfortunately does not seem to be an index for:

1. The Organists Review

2. The Organ

3. Choir and Organ

This is a great shame, a lot of excellent articles are lost in the depths and can't be found without a lot of searching.

Am I wrong? If you know of an index then please let me know

Best wishes

Sam Austin

Good Evening, I'm doing some research for my dissertation and would like to find some articles from organ related journals. Unfortunately does not seem to be an index for:

1. The Organists Review

2. The Organ

3. Choir and Organ

This is a great shame, a lot of excellent articles are lost in the depths and can't be found without a lot of searching.

Am I wrong? If you know of an index then please let me know

Best wishes

Sam Austin

Don't know about 1 and 3 but certainly there was an index (possibly a Betty Matthews job?) for The Organ. pcnd will know for sure.

Don't know about 1 and 3 but certainly there was an index (possibly a Betty Matthews job?) for The Organ. pcnd will know for sure.

This is correct. However, it is now several years out of date, unless someone else has taken over this onerous task. Betty Matthews died about eight years ago, as far as I can remember.

There was an index for Organists' Review which was made available by request a few years ago. There was also a suggestion of instigating an on-line index, which was to be regularly updated; this was proposed as the most convenient method of maintaining a comprehensive reference to current and past articles.

There is not, as far as I know, an index for Choir & Organ.

Incidentally, if anyone has spare or unwanted copies of the first three issues of C & O, in good condition, which they are happy to sell, I would be interested to hear from them.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bore everyone again but has anyone heard of an organist called Paul Rochard? He was around in the 1920s and wrote at least two articles for the Musical Times.

What I'd really like to know is where he was organist in the years 1924-1925? - Its for my dissertation which I'm still writing.

Below are the articles he wrote, if anyone has a copy they can scan and email me I'd be very grateful.

Best wishes

Sam Austin

Inclined Manuals

The Musical Times, vol. 71, no 1044 (Feb 1 1930) pg 155

and

Organist's Long Service Roll of Honour

The Musical Times, vol. 69, no 1028, (Oct 1 1928) pg 928

JSTOR only accept subscriptions from organisations, not individuals. (There's too much of this on the net IMO. I can think of other significantly useful scholarly resources that are simply inaccessible to mere mortals.) If you don't belong to a subscribing university or college, your best bet is to hope that your public library subscribes.

JSTOR only accept subscriptions from organisations, not individuals. (There's too much of this on the net IMO. I can think of other significantly useful scholarly resources that are simply inaccessible to mere mortals.) If you don't belong to a subscribing university or college, your best bet is to hope that your public library subscribes.

This may not be the case, Vox. Try the following:

http://www.jstor.org/about/individual.html

"Affiliation with a JSTOR participating publisher or scholarly society

Individual access to certain journals in the JSTOR archive is provided by some participating publishers and scholarly societies. Individual researchers may purchase an account for Individual Participation through one of these participating JSTOR publishers. If you already have an individual access account, you may enter JSTOR via the JSTOR Password Account Log In page, or the logon page at the publisher's website."

However, I do not know whether this would give you access to the archive of The Musical Times. Oxford University Press is listed as a participating publisher - it might be worth a try.

This may not be the case, Vox. Try the following:

http://www.jstor.org/about/individual.html

"Affiliation with a JSTOR participating publisher or scholarly society

Individual access to certain journals in the JSTOR archive is provided by some participating publishers and scholarly societies. Individual researchers may purchase an account for Individual Participation through one of these participating JSTOR publishers. If you already have an individual access account, you may enter JSTOR via the JSTOR Password Account Log In page, or the logon page at the publisher's website."

However, I do not know whether this would give you access to the archive of The Musical Times. Oxford University Press is listed as a participating publisher - it might be worth a try.

MT was certainly in there last time I had access (3yrs). Presumably Sam's supervisor will be able to get him access

On the general point about exclusion of mere mortals: could this be something that the RCO looks to provide as a membership benefit?

That would indeed be useful, but I would imagine that access would be possible only from computers on subscribing institution's local area network.

My ex-employer used to connect all we 'roving' staff via a variety of wierd technical means and we always ended up with secure access to all 'internal' services.

On the other hand, there may be an obstacle for licensing reasons. Some licences require lists of named users (obviously unaffordable) but quite a few work on the basis of an upper limit of 'simultaneous users' - which could work. I'll ask a contact in the journals indexing world to see what the usual deal is

I agree. The idea that only card-carrying academics should have access to knowledge is corrosive and contrary to the ideals of academia ; these people - unless they are in the University of Buckingham - survive at my expense on my taxes and their tom-catting invites the question whether they offer (any) value-for-money.

Sorry to bore everyone again but has anyone heard of an organist called Paul Rochard? He was around in the 1920s and wrote at least two articles for the Musical Times.

What I'd really like to know is where he was organist in the years 1924-1925? - Its for my dissertation which I'm still writing.

After a rummage around JSTOR, I can say that he wrote three letters (not articles) to the MT, and MT contains about a hundred notices of recitals he gave between (at least) 1911 and 1931. In 1925 he gave a recital at Kendal parish church.

Paul

Does this help any?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

You should try contacting the Serials Librarian (or equivalent) or Electronic Resources Librarian at your academic libary. They should be able to tell you quite easily by using various resources (such as Ulrichs, A&I databases) whether the journals are (a) available electronically (B) have indexes available © have Tables of Content available onlin etc etc and whether your institution subscribes.

If they can't get electronically, they maybe able to get it for you on Inter-library loan.

Alternatively, try the British Library Document Supply Centre in Boston Spa - www.bl.uk (not.co.uk, just uk)

Not sure if this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, does anyone have easy access to back issues of the Musical Opinion who wouldn't mind looking something up for me?

I'm looking for an article for an another essay I'm writing:

Hesford, Bryan

"Towards Understanding Erik Satie's 'Messe des Pauvres'"

Musical Opinion, 3/82

Many thanks

Sam

Hello, does anyone have easy access to back issues of the Musical Opinion who wouldn't mind looking something up for me?

I'm looking for an article for an another essay I'm writing:

Hesford, Bryan

"Towards Understanding Erik Satie's 'Messe des Pauvres'"

Musical Opinion, 3/82

Many thanks

Sam

Hi

Cambridge University Library have a full set if that's any help.

Every Blessing

Tony