83 replies to this topic

#81 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:35 AM

And then finally to Terrington St Clement, an extraordinary building on the Fens. Again, anyone ever played here?

Yes - it's a Rest Cartwright with some Hope-Jonesish stop names. Pretty dull, as they tend to be (unless it's been pepped up since I was there), and of course the building could take something much more enterprising, but it can sound imposing in an octopodish sort of way. Terrington St. John, another fine church although not as spectacular as St. Clement, has a nice vintage Holdich in a Gothicky case.

St. Nicholas, Lynn, is a fine Willis and the case is by Oldrid Scott.

#82 Contra Posaune

Contra Posaune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

Cape Road bridge would be a better bet than the station (although not much good for photos in the down direction) as 70000 is booked to call at Warwick so will be at full blast by Cape Road for the run up Hatton Bank.

Although not especially a steam fan I may pop out nearer to SonA for a quick look if it's sunny.

P

I went, I saw, I heard, I enjoyed! A good start out of Warwick, with a steady climb up Hatton Bank, all good stuff!

CP

#83 handsoff

handsoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

I'm glad you saw it; I took this shot of it between Hatton and Bearley. I wonder where Stratford-upon-Avon cathedral is? :P
Wanted Quantum Physicist, Dead and Alive

#84 Colin Pykett

Colin Pykett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Rather an old thread to be replying to, but I came across bombarde32's post (#27).  For some reason the forum isn't currently allowing me to quote it, but s/he said that Sir Walter Alcock used to file the axle boxes for his model steam locos during the sermons at Salisbury!

The reason for searching the forum on the connected subjects of 'steam' and 'Alcock' is (1) I didn't want to start a new thread without having done so, and (2) I originally wondered where Sir W's locos went.  There were apparently two, made by him, and capable of pulling a man in his various gardens including that in the Salisbury Cathedral close where the neighbours apparently weren't too keen on the noise, smoke and soot.  The answer is that one was at one time (and might still be) in the Salisbury & South Wiltshire Museum.  The other is (or was) in the Buckfastleigh museum of the South Devon Railway Trust.  This and a lot more interesting information about Sir Walter's hobby, which attracts a good number of other organists, is in the excellent sleeve notes to Daniel Cook's CD entitled "The Organ Music of Sir Walter Alcock" recorded at Salisbury in 2008 (Priory PRCD 1008).

If you like that sort of thing it's well worthwhile in terms of venue, executant and technical quality.  I do like it, if only because I was brought up on WGA's organ tutor and many of the pieces in it appear on the disc.  Moreover, it has incidentally solved the problem of what happened to his steam engines as mentioned above.  So it was an excellent acquisition on both counts.

CEP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users