Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester Cathedral

Lucasorg

Strictly speaking the commission is paid to the acquiring bank rather than direct to the card company. Typically it could indeed be around 2 -3 % ad valorem for credit card transactions but much less for most debit card transactions where a flat fee is charged - say 9 -10p. The annual rental charge for the PDQ terminal (or similar) has also to be factored in and the lower the turnover, the more significant this becomes.

These days cathedral shops, like any other retail outlet, have little choice but to offer electronic payment facilities. On the plus side, the funds are guaranteed and it saves them the hassle of handling cheques. Nevertheless, the benefits are almost always outweighed by the extra costs.

JS

My experience of running a not-for-profit business turning over £750,000 a year is that card payments are a good thing.

Cash is such a risk. It gets pilfered by the staff, and if you have £20,000 of it on the premises on a Sunday night, it is really quite a target for the criminal classes. Well worth risking a firearm for, in fact, according to our advice from the police. And unless you are stupid enough to send one of the employees across town with that sum of money on him, you will end up paying a security company to take it off your hands, which doesn't come cheap.

And unless you are very lucky, your bank will charge you for paying in both cash and cheques. Cheques do bounce, and you will occasionally find your staff (bless!) have accepted forged notes.

Give me payments with plastic every time!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good evening all!

Here's the latest batch of photos from Worcester.

Work is now nearing completion on the first stage of work on site. Blowing systems and soundboards are now all in place on the South side for the Swell and their counterparts on the North side are nearly finished for the Solo and Choir. Great and Pedal will be sited in the new cases, one on each side, and will plug onto the front end of trunking and steel cantilevers.

The present scaffolding will come down at the end of November in time for Advent and Christmas. Things will then go quiet again on site until after Easter when the second phase will start up.

Please make a note in your diaries - Gillian Weir will be giving an inaugural recital on Friday 8th August 2008 at 11 am as part of the Three Choirs Festival - you will be able to book online at www.3choirs.org in due course.

There will then be an official dedication weekend, preceded by a week of educational events all focused around the organ and leading up to the weekend of October 4th/5th 2008. On the Saturday there will be a dedication evensong followed by an official launch recital by Thomas Trotter. On the Sunday there will be a major focus on the new instrument for the 10.30 and 16.00 services, possibly including a new double organ mass.

The education event in the preceding week is designed to focus on the crossover between arts and sciences, looking at CAD for the design phases, the science involved in voicing organ pipes, the engineering involved in building such an instrument in an ancient building, as well as a range of other more musical events and demonstrations.

Something for all the family!

Best wishes,

Adrian

As you well know, I am one of those who much regret the passing of the old organ. However, I doubt whether there can ever have been a better documented installation of a significant new organ than this and for this we owe Adrian Lucas an enormous debt of thanks. I know from my friend and colleague John Wilderspin that Adrian is as keen photographer, and the quality of the photos that Adrian makes available never ceases to impress. Its obvious too that Adrian has a much better head for heights than myself!

On a selfish note, I was holding out a slim hope that my choir's visit to sing for a weekend in the spring next year might allow us an early experience of the new organ, but from the latest details this looks unlikely to say the least. Ah well, we're used to digital.

• 2 months later...

Since November, work at Worcester has been continuing at the factory in Northampton. Here are the latest photos from there, including some casework, console details and pipework.

Next week, work starts in the Cathedral to build the new organ loft on the South side of the Quire. Shortly after that, the console will move on site. Work to install the rest of the organ will begin once the Easter celebrations are complete at the end of March.

Enjoy!

Adrian Lucas

Adrian, you have a better head for heights than I have!!!!

Will the new organ be minus the 32' flues until the big case takes its walk, or will this be done after Easter?

You have a busy time with the new Bishop arriving in March and Easter.

Guest Barry Oakley
Since November, work at Worcester has been continuing at the factory in Northampton. Here are the latest photos from there, including some casework, console details and pipework.

Next week, work starts in the Cathedral to build the new organ loft on the South side of the Quire. Shortly after that, the console will move on site. Work to install the rest of the organ will begin once the Easter celebrations are complete at the end of March.

Enjoy!

Adrian Lucas

Thanks for another batch of excellent pictures, Adrian! I have never supported the view by some consultants (and an unnamed provincial builder) that the workmanship of English organ builders is inferior to that of our continental counterparts. I believe these pictures prove the point.

Enjoy!

Adrian Lucas

Excellent, good to see the progress.

Jonathan B)

Some MIDI couplers, I see... B)

Since we shall have the "Father" Rogers in the Nave for some time to come, it makes sense to build in the capability to play them simultaneously as we two with the two Rogers instruments at the moment. It should also mean that we can record performances straight onto a laptop.

Worth keeping up with the times!

Adrian

Adrian, you have a better head for heights than I have!!!!

Will the new organ be minus the 32' flues until the big case takes its walk, or will this be done after Easter?

You have a busy time with the new Bishop arriving in March and Easter.

Hi Basdav,

The two 32 flues and the Open Wood 16 will not be available until the Transept work is done. Ken has had this in mind from the start and we are all aware that it is bound to lack a bit of gravitas until that section is complete. There's just no way of building stops of that size into the East end of the Cathedral...it will have to wait a little!

I'm actually on sabbatical at the moment so Chris is running the show...and doing a great job, or so I'm told!

Adrian

Thanks for another batch of excellent pictures, Adrian! I have never supported the view by some consultants (and an unnamed provincial builder) that the workmanship of English organ builders is inferior to that of our continental counterparts. I believe these pictures prove the point.

Hi Barry,

If you should get the chance to look around Ken's works, it's an impressive testament to all the craftsmen there. The project management of a job like this one at Worcester is a really tough call to get everything through a relatively small factory in the right order without the whole place jamming up with components.

Best wishes,

Adrian

Hi Adrian

At least with the midi you will be able to supplement the Bass from the Rodgers until the Transept is moved. Just out of interest are the Diaphones still in situ?

Barrie

There's only a remnant 13 pipes (I think that's the number....could be fewer) left of the bottom of the 32' Diaphone. We thought of auctioning them to Cunard....that should scare the icebergs away!

A

There's only a remnant 13 pipes (I think that's the number....could be fewer) left of the bottom of the 32' Diaphone. We thought of auctioning them to Cunard....that should scare the icebergs away!

A

Rather export in Belgium.....With the leathered Diapason from the Great, its 4' octave, and the Swell

chorus reeds. (Bricks we have).

With that we could do something.

Pierre

Rather export in Belgium.....With the leathered Diapason from the Great, its 4' octave, and the Swell

chorus reeds. (Bricks we have).

With that we could do something.

Pierre

How much do you really want a Diaphone, Pierre?

Enough to part with good money?

If so, I have a 16' one here in my stores*.

Honestly, this* was called 'Open Diapason' and if I say that IMHO it sounds like a flatulent motorbike I'm being kind.

Its only possible use would be to create an enormous fundamental under full organ. Give me a real reed pipe any time!

Those who heard these things in their heyday, invented by Blackett and Howden, improved by Hope-Jones etc. say that the best ones ever made were John Compton's. I had one at Holy Trinity Hull and couldn't ever find a musical use for it. There is one thing to say in their favour, they are usually very compact compared to real pipes of the same pitch. This is why Compton used them; typical problem-solving!

How much do you really want a Diaphone, Pierre?

Enough to part with good money?

If so, I have a 16' one here in my stores*.

Honestly, this* was called 'Open Diapason' and if I say that IMHO it sounds like a flatulent motorbike I'm being kind.

Its only possible use would be to create an enormous fundamental under full organ. Give me a real reed pipe any time!

Those who heard these things in their heyday, invented by Blackett and Howden, improved by Hope-Jones etc. say that the best ones ever made were John Compton's. I had one at Holy Trinity Hull and couldn't ever find a musical use for it. There is one thing to say in their favour, they are usually very compact compared to real pipes of the same pitch. This is why Compton used them; typical problem-solving!

And Schoenstein in the US can get you a new one if you really want one - perhaps we on the board could chip in and save up for one in time for Christmas 2008 - just in time for In Dulci Jubilo etc.

AJJ :lol:

Adrian I could use those 13 pipes at Wordsley to extend the chipboard trombone down!!! Space would be an issue and also wind to blow them.

Ho ho! You might need the roof raising (in more ways than one)!

Meanwhile, here are some photos of the new organ loft going in.

Adrian

• 2 months later...

Good evening all!

Now, at last, we reach the final stage of work at Worcester, installation of the cases, great and pedal soundboards and all the pipework. Our expected schedule is to complete the physical installation around early June with voicing taking place between then and late July. The first official chance you will get to hear it in action will be at the Three Choirs Festival in August (2nd - 9th) so do come along if you can.

Meanwhile, I have posted some photos of installation work so far.

W/C 7th April - installation of the outer sections of the steel framework

W/C 14th April - the first stages of installing the cases

W/C 21st April - the cases should essentially be in place by the end of this week....

Make a note in your diaries:

Gillian Weir at Three Choirs - Friday 8th August at 11am

Thomas Trotter at the dedication festival on the evening of Saturday 4th October

Enjoy!

Adrian Lucas