Mander Organ Builders Forum

Holocaust Memorial

DHM

I need (urgently) to find a suitable anthem/motet for a Holocaust Memorial event.

Any suggestions?

One of these perhaps,

And I saw a new Heaven

E L Bainton

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth:

for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away;

and there was no more sea.

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,

coming down from God out of heaven,

prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice out of Heaven, saying,

Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men,

and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people,

and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes;

and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying,

neither shall there be any more pain:

for the former things are passed away. Revelation 21

Blessed city

Sir Edward Cuthbert Bairstow

Blessed city, heavenly Salem,

Vision dear of peace and love,

Who, of living stones art builded,

Thither faithful souls do soar.

And, with angel hosts apparelled

Bright her gates of pearl are shining,

They are open evermore;

And, their well earned rest attaining,

Thither faithful souls do soar.

Who for Christ's dear name in this world

Pain and tribulation bore.

Many a blow and biting sculpture

Polished well those stones elect,

In their places now compacted

By the heavenly architect.

Never more to leave the temple,

Which with them the Lord hath decked.

My God, My God

John Blow

Johannes Brahms

Geistliches Lied (Paul Flemming (1609-1640)

I would have thought that any settings of the 'Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi' would be suitable for this kind of service. I guess that for churches, it covers the same kind of themes as Remembrance Sunday. Difficult subject though, and hard to get the balance right. Blatchly's 'For the Fallen' is lovely.

David

Is it too late to suggest Howells' O Pray For The Peace Of Jerusalem?

Peter

Perfect! And it's in our repertoire. I only wish I had thought of that before the music list went to print.

In the end we played safe and went for Stanley Marchant's "The souls of the righteous".

Thanks, Peter and everyone else, for your helpful suggestions.

Douglas

Oh dear! I'm probably too late, but I was going to suggest that, in addition to the anthem chosen, a transcription of John Williams' tune to "Schindler's List" would make a wonderful voluntary.

Easily one of the greatest of all film themes.

As for anything to do with Holocaust memorials, I would run a mile, after being severely "beaten up" (verbally) by a number of Polish survivors, after indavertently referring to "Polish death camps" on another forum, and then being further "smashed to bits" because I suggested that it was no different from the title "Jewish concentration camps" as used by my father.

Oh dear!

Sometimes, we get into trouble without quite knowing why, and on such a sensitive subject when so many feelings and memories run so deep, it is sometimes best to keep a safe distance and say nothing.

:rolleyes:

MM

I suggest that as not all victims of the Holocaust were Jews!

I believe the term 'The Holocaust' is used specifically to refer to the horrendous outcome of the Nazi's 'Final Solution of the Jewish Question.' Other Nazi atrocities, whilst also heinous and despicable, are not generally included under that specific term....

I believe the term 'The Holocaust' is used specifically to refer to the horrendous outcome of the Nazi's 'Final Solution of the Jewish Question.' Other Nazi atrocities, whilst also heinous and despicable, are not generally included under that specific term....

===========================

This is not the case. The term "holocaust" was used many times long before the Nazi genocide. In fact, Winston Churchill used the term long before WW2.

What HAS happened, is the growth of an entire memorial "industry" generated largely by Jewish survivors and second-generation offspring, which frankly, I find appalling due to the "exclusive" nature of the machine, and the fact that it has been aggressively "marketed" by a hard-core of the faithful. (This is exactly what I became vicitim to recently, and I found it very sad that I had to state, quite categorically, that after being savaged by dozens of these holocaust "enthusiasts," I was starting to know what it felt like to be a Jew in Warsaw when the Nazis rolled into town).

Still a deeply sensitive and offensive subject, it is equally offensive to non-Jewish victims that they can be so excluded, and any reference to "holocaust" SHOULD include the minority groups such as Ethnic Poles, (ie: non-German related), the mentally handicapped, male homosexuals, political dissenters, Slavs, Romani Gypsies and others, who may not have been the biggest individual groups, but which probably escalate the total genocide from 6,000,000 Jews, to a total genocide of 11,000,000....almost double the number.

What I personally find the most offensive, is the sort of exclusivety which will make a meal of one event, yet ignore more recent events as well as more historic events. (PolPot, Rwanda, Darfour and Kosova for example).

All were overshadowed by the reign of terror in Stalinist Russia and the satellite communist states.

For the record, England had its own mini-holocaust, within the battlements of Clifford Tower, York, when a massacre of Jews occurred there a few centuries ago.

It was and is not just a "German" problem, but something which can blight mankind anywhere at anytime, as it has done in the past, and doubtless will in the future. It's not that long ago that Christians were killing the Moores in Spain, in spite of the civilisation and tolerance they brought to Andalusia from Morocco and the enlightenment of the then Muslim world.

None of us are innocents, but equally, no one group should attempt to be a "special category" of victim.

MM

Guest Patrick Coleman
You are right MM, in terms of holocaust, but we are talking about Holocaust which is a historically-specific term, I believe...

I think you should stop digging this hole. MM's eloquent posting is exactly (and historically) correct - and for the record, the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust recognises all the victims of the NSDAP version of Social Darwinism, as listed by MM.

I think it would be far better for people to use the Hebrew word Shoah when designating the specific campaign against the Jewish people of Germany and its occupied territories, including, of course, the uniquely and terrifyingly thought out and organised Final Solution.

MM is also right in reminding us of the (not always lesser) holocausts of recent and not-so-recent history, and our persistent failure to learn the lesson that to de-humanise any part of the human race is to sow the seeds of genocide.

I shall now descend from the pulpit...