Mander Organ Builders Forum

John Ireland - Capriccio

AJJ

I'd not come across this before - does anyone else know it?

Hello,

yes, I know it. It is contained in "Organ Music of John Ireland" edited by Robert Gower and published by Novello, Cat. No. 01 0183

Cheers

tiratutti

I'd not come across this before - does anyone else know it?

A

Hi Alastair,

I heard John Robinson (assistant at Canterbury) play this as his final piece at an opening recital in Dumfries in February.

Regards,

David

Guest Cynic

Does anyone play this piece? Short answer, yes.

Your recording sounds like it was made upon an electronic organ-substitute. I regret that the loathsome sounds meant I couldn't sit through it until the 'Tuba' came in. You'll probably tell me now that this was made on the latest fashionable import and that it just coincidentally sounds like an Allen. I frequently muse on the fact that Lawrence Phelps ended up working for Allens after he'd given up on pipe organs - reeds that sound like bacon frying etc. etc.

I recorded this piece at Redcliffe for an all-English CD about four years ago, but sadly the programme was too long and this was the item that had to be left out. It is, as Jonathan says, a tricky thing - pretty unlike the well-known John Ireland works (Greater Love, Er Ore Innocentium etc.) as well. I suppose there is a brief bit of soul and passion very near the end! On well-equipped instruments it's a fun piece for all parties.

However, once I tried to play it in a recital at The Parr Hall, Warrington on the Cavaille-Coll about twenty years ago. It was the one item on the programme that really didn't 'work'. I was not aware until that day just how much hand registration I do without thinking, and on that beastie this item turned out to be virtually unplayable as a result.

Your recording sounds like it was made upon an electronic organ-substitute. I regret that the loathsome sounds meant I couldn't sit through it until the 'Tuba' came in. You'll probably tell me now that this was made on the latest fashionable import and that it just coincidentally sounds like an Allen. I frequently muse on the fact that Lawrence Phelps ended up working for Allens after he'd given up on pipe organs - reeds that sound like bacon frying etc. etc.

Sorry to spoil your evening Paul - but I found it here - unless the details are wrong the organ is a 1908 Hinners with Wicks additions. The Hinners pipework should sound quite splendid - I'm not aware of what Wicks did but the OHS usually picke their instruments quite well.

Best

A

Guest Cynic

Sorry to spoil your evening Paul - but I found it here - unless the details are wrong the organ is a 1908 Hinners with Wicks additions.

Best

A

Wrong again!

Ah well, I did say 'sounds like..'

Sorry,

P.

Guest Stanley Monkhouse

John Robinson, when assistant at Carlisle, recorded it on PRY 885, still available.

Guest Cynic
........Sounds like you need a new audio system on your computer. :rolleyes: Doesn't sound anything like an electronic to me!

I stand up for my mistake in one way: after all, these days what sounds electronic 'organs' give out amount to recordings of actual organ pipes.

Poor humble and lowly peasant as I am, you may be quite correct about my computer set-up. However, even if I had the wherewithal to do it, I doubt whether I would find sufficient courage to attempt anything so scary as to update my desktop technology - until the time that it dies a natural death of course.

I've only just got over the demise of Gestetner and Banda masters, and before that my limit was remembering which way round to insert the carbon paper.

Poor humble and lowly peasant as I am, you may be quite correct about my computer set-up. However, even if I had the wherewithal to do it, I doubt whether I would find sufficient courage to attempt anything so scary as to update my desktop technology - until the time that it dies a natural death of course.

If you do decide to take the plunge; get a Mac! Can't go wrong.

Sorry to spoil your evening Paul - but I found it here - unless the details are wrong the organ is a 1908 Hinners with Wicks additions. The Hinners pipework should sound quite splendid - I'm not aware of what Wicks did but the OHS usually picke their instruments quite well.

It is indeed hard to imagine what Wicks could have done to a 1908 Hinners that would have improved it.

On hearing that Wicks has been anywhere near an instrument one tends to expect the worst - conversion to their "direct electric" action and the addition of numerous chimes, bells, whistles and electronic voices all controlled from a five manual console with more stop knobs and pistons than the original instrument had pipes. Plus, of course, a deafening "heraldic trumpet" en chamade for the bigger jobs ...