Mander Organ Builders Forum

Easter Greetings

Peter Clark

It's probably my television set that's faulty, then.

Well, I enjoyed much of it. Some things weren't to my taste and the last hymn was rather too quick, but nonetheless a decent programme I feel. It might at least help show joe public that Kings do more than just sing at Christmas. We also got lots of glimpses of the organ scholars at work.

Peeters chorale preludes before and after Evensong (O filii et filiae and Christ ist Erstanden).

Does anyone play Peeters any more?

Is it going out of fashion? I was intending to build up a collection and purchased the Lent-Easter book last timeI went music shopping.

Have only used 1 during Lent and was too disorganised to prepare any more this time round, not being suffiently accomplished to be able to sight read them safely. Hope to get another couple next time, but shall not if they are not considered to be

worthwhile.

Happy Easter.

Peeters chorale preludes before and after Evensong (O filii et filiae and Christ ist Erstanden).

Does anyone play Peeters any more?

Yes they do. My Easter highlight was accompanying (on the joanna) a truly superb tenor singing the first of Vaughn Williams' Easter Mystical Songs.

Toccata Fugue and Hymn on Ave Maris Stella, nice if linked up with some suitable Tournemire, Ricercare, Vars on an original theme and Suite Modale. Don't really play the chorale based works.

AJS

Considering we're talking about Easter greetings, I have to admit I enjoyed the sounds of Easter Monday more. The season opener at our local racing circuit is often much more tuneful, and a lot less noisy. Highly tuned small capacity V8s revving to about 10000 rpm, flat 4 alfas, heavily tuned turbo'd 5's with atmospheric bypass valves mmmmm......

AJS

I've just listened, via the BBC i-Player, to parts of the Sunday Morning service from Westminster Cathedral. It's well worth a few minutes, including the last verse of the final hymn, starting at about 47.00. A clue; no descant... :ph34r:

The voluntary was, of course, curtailed. Even as an Archers fan, I would have been happy to have had a late start to the omnibus edition to have heard all of it.

P

I've just listened, via the BBC i-Player, to parts of the Sunday Morning service from Westminster Cathedral. It's well worth a few minutes, including the last verse of the final hymn, starting at about 47.00. A clue; no descant... :ph34r:

The voluntary was, of course, curtailed. Even as an Archers fan, I would have been happy to have a late start to the omnibus edition to have heard all of it.

P

Agreed, it was superb. (The last verse of "Thine be the Glory" wasn't my favourite bit, although it didn't offend me.) Some wonderful singing and some great alternation between choir and organ. The arrangement of O filii and O filiae was perhaps a bit over the top, but it was Easter Sunday!