Mander Organ Builders Forum

A New Concert Hall Organ for the Gothenburg Symphony

biggestelk

Just pondering on the instrument in storage which they hoped would play again, it occurred to me that a "1930s style" Compton organ from Wolverhampton Civic Hall went to landfill just a couple of years ago.  Wouldn't it be good if the powers that be in that city were offered it as a replacement for the organ they scandelously threw away.   I guess it would fit.  :D

There would have to be the most dramatic change of heart on the part of the powers that be.  They were implacably opposed to having the organ at all, and it was scrapped for two principle reasons: the alleged presence of asbestos contamination which was claimed to be uneconomical to rectify and, rather more relevant, the hall was being redesigned with the space occupied by the organ being used differently in the new design - which did not include any alternative space for an organ.  In a nutshell, they didn’t want any organ! - or certainly not a pipe organ!

On 13/03/2019 at 19:48, S_L said:

No, I don't accept that at all!

The artists impression of what the hall might be like is nothing more than an artists impression. At the moment the whole concept of the Centre for Music is not even a possibility. The City of London has only agreed, in principle, to make the site available should the Museum of London fulfil its ambition to move. It may, very well, never happen!

Far too early to speculate whether the whole project will come to fruition!!

As for halls where the player is close to the audience - try Huddersfield & Hull City Hall (when the audience uses the choir seating on the stage - which happens frequently), Symphony Hall Birmingham - the attached console!

When Compton rebuilt and enlarged the original Forster & Andrews organ in Hull City Hall (1951), the former tubular pneumatic console was scrapped and a new Compton detached console built. In turn, when the organ was in the care of Rushworth & Dreaper, the detached console was adapted and made a fixture that now sits almost directly under the organ case. The former Compton console could be sited near to the front of the stage for recitals and so give better contact between recitalist and audience.

17 hours ago, Niccolo said:

This organ has a general swell over the whole instrument, which I think is the reason why it looks like the great organ is enclosed. I'm kind of a bit confused by the pipes of the 32' Soubasse being under the floor as I thought the mentioned around 1:14 in the video that these pipes were placed above the organ.

I'm afraid that was MY confusion!  As I said, I don't understand Swedish, so I probably misunderstood about the pipes' location.  It looked as if they were under the floor anyway!

8 hours ago, Barry Oakley said:

The former Compton console could be sited near to the front of the stage for recitals and so give better contact between recitalist and audience.

.......................... and made it easier, on those rare occasions when the organ was used with an orchestra, for the organist to a) hear what he was doing and b) see, and be in touch,  with the conductor.

I know it is a considerable expense but I wonder if thought has been given to a second, moveable, console at Leeds - or whether the console is going to be moveable anyway!

7 hours ago, S_L said:

I know it is a considerable expense but I wonder if thought has been given to a second, moveable, console at Leeds - or whether the console is going to be moveable anyway!

Yes, the new console will be moveable! It will live on the existing lift and be put under the stage when not in use, but it can be used on any part of the stage. That gives me an excuse to mention that we're on the final two organ recitals before removal - Richard Hills next Monday, and I'm giving the very last one on the 25th (followed by refreshments).  And for those who are interested, the spec is now fully finalised and updated on the Nicholson & Co website here:

http://www.nicholsonorgans.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/LTH-website-spec.pdf

8 hours ago, DariusB said:

And for those who are interested, the spec is now fully finalised and updated on the Nicholson & Co website here:

http://www.nicholsonorgans.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/LTH-website-spec.pdf

Thanks for this update.  I see that there are some minor changes to the previous spec:
The Choir has gained a Piccolo 1', and the Grand has lost its 16' Posaune and one of its mixture ranks.  Also the Solo Unda Maris has been replaced by a Voix Eolienne, though I wonder whether this latter stop is the same other than a change of name?

A one-hour documentary on YouTube regarding the new organ for Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra Hall:

Largely in English, but elsewhere with English sub-titles.

(I was right about the pipes under the floor, BTW!)