Mander Organ Builders Forum

Your 20 Best Hymns?

innate

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest delvin146
"Angel voices ever singing" sums everthing up for me as a church musician, with "When in our music God is glorified" not far behind.

As for "when in our music God is glorified", there's a very fitting line which makes me smile whenever we come to it:

"So often making music we have found a new dimension in the world of sound"..

Very fitting for some choirs... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening! I'm new to this forum and thought that a list of hymns I like, and which have not been previously mentioned on this thread, might be a suitable introduction.

Maybe not.

Anyhow:

Lord God, thou art our maker and our end Morestead

This is the image of the Queen (unbowdlerised) Iver

Holy Spirit, ever dwelling Salisbury

O Holy City, seen of John Sancta Civitas

You, Living Christ, our eyes behold Palace Green

O perfect love, all human thought tracending Highwood

Praise to the Holiest in the hight Billing

One great and final sabbath day Holcombe

Come, ye faithful, raise the strain St. Kevin

Brightest and best of the sons of the morning Wessex

Christians, sing the Incarnation Ecclesia (for preference)

The day of resurrection Ellacombe

Good is our God, who made this place Hambleden

O lead my blindness by the hand Ryburn

All for Jesus, All for Jesus All for Jesus

Thanks to God whose Word was spoken Kingley Vale

God of love and truth and beauty Carolyn

O Jesus, I have promised Wolvercote

Hail Redeemer, King divine King Divine

Lift up your hearts; we lift them Lord to thee Sursum Corda (Smith)

Not necessarily fashionable, popular, or indeed useable in public worship, but perhaps of some interest.

Best regards

Dalua

Good evening! I'm new to this forum and thought that a list of hymns I like, and which have not been previously mentioned on this thread, might be a suitable introduction.

Maybe not.

Anyhow:

Lord God, thou art our maker and our end      Morestead

This is the image of the Queen (unbowdlerised) Iver

Holy Spirit, ever dwelling                                Salisbury

O Holy City, seen of John                                Sancta Civitas

You, Living Christ, our eyes behold                  Palace Green

O perfect love, all human thought tracending    Highwood

Praise to the Holiest in the hight                      Billing

One great and final sabbath day                      Holcombe

Come, ye faithful, raise the strain                    St. Kevin

Brightest and best of the sons of the morning  Wessex

Christians, sing the Incarnation                      Ecclesia (for preference)

The day of resurrection                                  Ellacombe

Good is our God, who made this place              Hambleden

O lead my blindness by the hand                      Ryburn

All for Jesus, All for Jesus                                All for Jesus

Thanks to God whose Word was spoken            Kingley Vale

God of love and truth and beauty                      Carolyn

O Jesus, I have promised                                Wolvercote

Hail Redeemer, King divine                              King Divine

Lift up your hearts; we lift them Lord to thee      Sursum Corda (Smith)

Not necessarily fashionable, popular, or indeed useable in public worship, but perhaps of some interest.

Best regards

Dalua

Glad to see Praise to the Holiest' set to 'Billing' in your list. A lovely tune that knocks around in your head for days after being sung at a service.

Someone mentioned psalm chants. I always think that the lovely Ivor Atkins chant that York sing to the second half of Psam 55 (10th Evening) can't be beaten.

What abt a thread re Church Music for whom only Homer nods.

When I attended St Gile's Cathedral in the 80s the service would begin by the choir singing an introit by Thalben Ball. These were originally composed for the BBC Daily Service and later published as two collections. Not great music but deserving to be championed by more than just Herrick Bunney.

Whatever happened to 'Hymn Anthems'? Bairstow composed a fair number. The choir at Dunfermline Abbey used to sing 'Ye Servants of God' by Henry Coleman which was an arrangement of 'Paderborn'.

Whatever happened to 'Hymn Anthems'? Bairstow composed a fair number.

Its many years since I heard Bairstow's "The king of love", and I would suggest there are a good few Harris hymn anthems that have also largely fallen by the wayside. (How many people still do "All creatures of our God and King" or "O what their joy and their glory must be"?) Stanfords setting of "The Lord is my Shepherd" is also very colourful but probably little performed, "Purest and Highest" is to my mind a gem - but very little known.

How many people still do "All creatures of our God and King" or "O what their joy and their glory must be"?
I know one choir that still does "O what their joy"; I played it for them last year. I don't think I've heard "All creatures" since the Clerkes of Oxenford sang it (seriously, they did!) in a concert back in the 70s.

Surely Stanford's "The Lord is my shepherd" is still staple cathedral repertoire?

• 3 months later...
'Music for muppets' is surely a suitable subtitle for Beaumont's entire output.....however I have heard a member of the clregy suggest the theme from 'The Muppet Show' as a suitable alternative tune for 'O Jesus, I have promised'.  Be very afraid.

Reviving an old thread...

We had 'Father God I wonder' this morning, which even by the standards of Songs of Fellowship is a dire, dire dirge.

Frantically trying to find an alternative tune (not easy for 8875 8888) the only thing I could come up was the theme to the Flintstones. ("Father! God I wonder! How I managed to exist without / The knowledge! Of your parenthood! And your loving care.") Sadly I didn't have the nerve to play it.

For another one, I believe we owe to 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue' the suggestion that Jerusalem can be sung to The Birdie Song...

For another one, I believe we owe to 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue' the suggestion that Jerusalem can be sung to The Birdie Song...

Ha! Yes. I did once do some awful URC thing to the theme from The Archers. There's also the old chestnut about "O Jesus, I have promised" to the muppet theme; someone once told me of another very good one indeed, but I've forgotten it.

Also - Old Rugged Cross to My Grandfather's Clock.