Mander Organ Builders Forum

The future of the organ - Harrison & Harrison's opinion

Colin Pykett

A relatively recent (November 2022) article highlighting Andrew Scott of Harrison & Harrison in the Church Times made interesting reading.  It was a candid view of where things stand in British organ building today.  It's not for me to summarise all the points he made as you can read it for yourself, but he seems to be pinning his long term view on (quote) 'glimmers of hope' rather than on unrealistic extrapolations of the current situation where he has a secure order book up to the end of 2024.

A point that has exercised me for some time concerns the future workforce in organ building - where are the future skilled crafts-people going to come from?  How many parents of children who will have to earn a living would encourage them to go into organ building today?  Yet without this essential replenishment at the base of the pyramid, might not the whole edifice collapse at some point in the future?  Mr Scott acknowledges this (quote) 'new blood' problem as real and important both for the craft and the instrument itself, and he seems to offer little beyond hope that there is a long term solution.  He worries about where the larger firms such as his will be in the future, and implies that the outlook for smaller ones and for organs at parish level is significantly less robust.

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2022/25-november/features/features/harrison-harrison-the-craft-of-organ-building-thoroughly-organised

Good article - thanks.  The future of the church organ is inextricably bound up with the future of the church, and the leadership shown over the last few years does not fill me with confidence.  The 'Save the Parish' movement is a shaft of light.  I am told that theology/ordination courses include little if anything about music.

After many years of trying the IBO finally set up an apprenticeship scheme for organ builders last year - we must hope it has long term success.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2156992797792795&set=pcb.2156992847792790

A well balanced article regarding the state with which the organ, as we know it in its present. form is regarded .

IMHO only, the main road to survival for this noble form of music making is to get it out of its traditional setting.

An amalgam of organs, organists, choirs, and clergy leads inevitably, in many instances, though not all, to the creation of a toxic mix in which the latter have the clout to sideline the  role of the organ to that of a  mere hymn accompanying machine.  I have already quoted one such example of this in a previous thread pertaining to this matter so I shall not repeat myself.

Thanks to the likes of Youtube we are now able to experience, in the comfort of our armchairs and keyboards, some wonderful instruments in concert halls  throughout the globe.  More to the point they are actually performing full blown works not just dusty old hymns.

I am glad that Mr. Scott refers to the organ supporting fraternity as essentially being composed of  " old blokes in anoraks ( usually shiny and smelly! ) with rustly carrier bags".    That seems, to myself, to sum up perfectly the type of audience I experience attending recitals. How many recitals does one attend in which there are either a)   more than 50 attending?   b)   the average age is less than 60+ ?   Answer?   Not many.   I have left out attendance at ecclesiastical buildings since they are pretty abysmal anyway, unless you include the likes of The Abbey and similar.

There is no shortage of young blood coming through the ranks ( no pun intended) to replace those who have fallen off the database but these gifted young people do not want to spend their time and talents in dusty,damp old ecclesiastical buildings churning out the same old gufff week in week out just in order to give them access to an instrument regardless of its marque or age.

This new  life filled generation of young performers have been born into an essentially digitally driven world and whilst they have a regard for the pipe organ they are more tuned into what the ancien regime love to regard as being " toasters ".   A lot of these individuals need to shake themselves out of their torpor and get up to speed!

Finally, costs, Yes. astronomic,and the begging bowls are continually being rattled.   I have now girded myself with my body armour and will say ( still  IMHO of course, not speaking for the world generally )  that in order to survive the organ as we have known it will have to change its time honoured format.   Medieval craftsmanship is wonderful but totally anachronistic in the 21st cy.   We have to move with the times.   I realise that I have constructed my own pyre with this doggerel so I might as well have the privilege of igniting it myself; hybridization  is one means of reducing costs, and due to the rapid advances that have been made in this sphere  let`s be honest ,if a few stops are digitalised - can anyone really notice?  

The attitudes held by many so called supporters of the pipe organ appear to be locked into an ivory tower which embraces an attitude which would leave the likes of the  Academie Francaise standing.  ( accents deliberately omitted on grounds of pure laziness )

One such example of this  attitude can be directed towards the almost misogonistic stance taken towards female players; and Mr, Scott does have the courage to  aim a dart in this direction.

Taxi!!

I agree with your post wholeheartedly Adnoshad. There is much stacked against the organ in general now and looking to the future.  I can understand young aspiring musicians steering clear of the toxic mix you describe. I well remember my thoughtful organ teacher telling me that churches contain some of the most unchristian like people I’ve ever met. That was 35 years ago and it sounds that not much has changed!

Organists I’m afraid are part of the problem. There seems to be a significant minority who are rather self opinionated and of the belief that their views are the only ones that count. Unfortunately as is so often the case those that shout the loudest tend to get heard. They seem to be rather similar to the trainspotting fraternity with their dogmatic “back in my day” attitude. A sweeping generalisation maybe but I’m sure you get the idea.

I recently saw a discussion (now deleted I believe) on a social media group where Anna Lapwood was criticised for daring to give a concert on an electronic organ. This was disappointing. Anna Lapwood is a fine musician and one of the best at using the web/ social media to promote the organ and to bring it to the masses. I find her approach a breath of fresh air. I do wander whether the fact that she is a smart young lady was an underlying factor in the criticism she received? It was also pleasing to see some organists jumping to her defence too. How can many of us practice without an electronic instrument? I for one do not have regular access to a pipe organ but my home instrument is great for keeping my skills up to a reasonable level so that I can deputise here and there when possible. I’m sure many others are in the same position. This is far preferable to me than freezing my backside off in an unheated country church which was my only option in my days when learning the instrument.

If I was a teenager interested in the organ, would I feel welcome reading some of the comments on discussion groups? It would appear that organists can be a pretty intolerant bunch. Healthy debate and a critical look at organ building is one thing but the constant wranglings I read don’t make it look a very appealing prospect for an outsider looking in. I have been a member of 5 different organist associations over the last 25 years. My experiences have been varied. I do feel sorry for the unseen heroes who put in much time and effort to arrange a meeting only for a handful of diehards to show up. I was a member of Gloucestershire organists association for a while and they were a very welcoming enthusiastic bunch. I was also a member of a neighbouring association where the committee were downright miserable and getting so much as pleasantries out of them seemed an effort. 4 of the 5 associations I have been a member of contained members who had been convicted of child related sex offences at one time or another. I was in disbelief when the matters were viewed by some as a ‘miscarriage of justice’ or ‘not that serious’!

On the positive side, it is great to see organ builders such as Nicholsons and Harrisons & Harrisons carrying out some large and well informed projects like those at York and Leeds. It is just as heart warming to see small builders such as Gary Owens carrying out work all over the place with such great care and enthusiasm. Perhaps it up to all of us to try and promote the instrument in a more positive and constructive manner and to drown out some of the dissenting voices.

The closure of churches, the preference of 'praise bands' (or whatever they're called), and the general reduction in the following of Christian religion in this country, has had to have had an effect of the loss of support for pipe organs in some quarters.
On the other hand, it is encouraging that several concert halls and educational establishments are finding the necessary money to renew, and even expand their organs.

I look at some other European countries (and in fact those further afield: Japan and even China for example) and see that many new organs are being created.  If this country is not progressing as far as those are, I wonder why.  Money, perhaps?

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I well remember my thoughtful organ teacher telling me that churches contain some of the most unchristian like people I’ve ever met. That was 35 years ago and it sounds that not much has changed!

Well I have to say that I haven't found that and I have been, and am, connected to various churches. Of course churches are Christian families and all families have different opinions and have disagreements. I find that those people who come to church now are the committed ones and I find none perfect but most of us try hard to follow Christ and his teachings.

I find the sort of comment above rather insulting and I'm not sure I'd find the teacher you quote quite as thoughtful as you do!

No doubt my experience is different to yours.

12 hours ago, John Robinson said:

The closure of churches, the preference of 'praise bands' (or whatever they're called), and the general reduction in the following of Christian religion in this country, has had to have had an effect of the loss of support for pipe organs in some quarters.
On the other hand, it is encouraging that several concert halls and educational establishments are finding the necessary money to renew, and even expand their organs.

I look at some other European countries (and in fact those further afield: Japan and even China for example) and see that many new organs are being created.  If this country is not progressing as far as those are, I wonder why.  Money, perhaps?

Cash, and the diversion of it to other causes is certainly one reason but basically in this country the organ is not viewed in popular terms either by a significant coven of ecclesiastics, or the discerning concert attending public.   The historical fact that pipe organs were originally installed in ecclesiastical surroundings and have , in essence, remained there ever since is one of the principal reasons for their decline in popularity.   If they continue to  stay located in these antediluvian establishments then, like the dinosaurs, they will surely cease to exist.    As an example from personal experience We recently attended a Sunday service At Armley ( for the benefit of our readers who live south of Watford Gap, Armley is in Yorkshire, otherwise known as " The North "  )  The attendance was  30 in total and upon my enquiring was told that this was the average attendance.     Marvellous architecture and detail, marvellous instrument, good thoughtful liturgy - but an empty tomb basically.

12 hours ago, Adnosad said:

Cash, and the diversion of it to other causes is certainly one reason but basically in this country the organ is not viewed in popular terms either by a significant coven of ecclesiastics, or the discerning concert attending public.   The historical fact that pipe organs were originally installed in ecclesiastical surroundings and have , in essence, remained there ever since is one of the principal reasons for their decline in popularity.   If they continue to  stay located in these antediluvian establishments then, like the dinosaurs, they will surely cease to exist.    As an example from personal experience We recently attended a Sunday service At Armley ( for the benefit of our readers who live south of Watford Gap, Armley is in Yorkshire, otherwise known as " The North "  )  The attendance was  30 in total and upon my enquiring was told that this was the average attendance.     Marvellous architecture and detail, marvellous instrument, good thoughtful liturgy - but an empty tomb basically.

Hopefully, the work being done presently at both Leeds and Manchester town halls might indicate that there is yet hope for the concert attending public's enjoyment of organ recitals.

Agree, but the demographics and numbers attending will probably, I feel, be at current levels.

One glimmer of hope was provided the other week at Chester when the nave was nearly filled to capacity - how?  Answer:- Jonathan Scott.

Normal attendance there is a faithful band of aficionados of between 50 - 80.

To reiterate, the English have essentially fallen out of favour with this type of music .

The bottom line is that organs are an expensive noise in relation to what in essence is a minority interest,save amongst the likes of semi-geriatric geeks, and I include myself here!

12 hours ago, Adnosad said:

Agree, but the demographics and numbers attending will probably, I feel, be at current levels.

One glimmer of hope was provided the other week at Chester when the nave was nearly filled to capacity - how?  Answer:- Jonathan Scott.

Normal attendance there is a faithful band of aficionados of between 50 - 80.

To reiterate, the English have essentially fallen out of favour with this type of music .

The bottom line is that organs are an expensive noise in relation to what in essence is a minority interest,save amongst the likes of semi-geriatric geeks, and I include myself here!

Perhaps we just live in the wrong country!  I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the organ is far more popular in some other countries.

I have made this point several times previously.  There is no shortage of organ recitals.  112 are currently listed on organrecitals.uk during the next four weeks in every part of the country in both churches and concert halls (including Reading Town Hall, as just one!).  There are six recitals today - an ‘ordinary’ weekday - two in London and the others admittedly north of ‘the Watford Gap’!  I think there are recitals in London and Glasgow every day. Admittedly attending them for working people can be a problem, although most venues pitch their weekday concerts during the lunch hour.  I have no idea how well attended they are, but they exist and are available for those who want to go to them.  If audiences are small, is it a matter that people don’t bother?  There are doubtless other factors; some venues are hopeless about adequate publicity - almost non-existent in some cases.  Another issue which does single out the organ is little or no advance information of the programme to be played.  

The late David Drinkell preferred calling them ‘concerts’, rather than recitals, and suggested that this was a more persuasive name less likely to deter some potential audiences.

It really is worth getting to know the website organrecitals.uk.

Reading Philip Larkin's beautiful (to me) poem with its ambiguous title 'Church Going' just now, I was struck by some lines which seem relevant to this thread and the way it has developed:

When churches fall completely out of use

What shall we turn them into, if we shall keep

A few cathedrals chronically on show,

Their parchment, plate and pyx in locked cases,

And let the rest rent free to rain and sheep.

And their organs get a couple of mentions as well!

'St Mark's, Cheetham Hill' by Tony Connor is edgier still but conveys much the same message.