Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube Archive of Recorded Organ Music

jonadkins

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a fantastic YouTube channel, full of exceptional recordings, thanks for sharing.

We can also add the recordings of Pierre Cochereau, one of the greatest French organists, holder of the organ of Notre Dame de Paris. He recorded the greats Bach's Toccatas, the one in D minor at Notre Dame de Paris gives you chills with the 32" stops

That's quite an early recording by Pierre Cochereau though, before all the work carried out in the 1960s. I suppose from a historical perspective it is quite interesting, if only to prove that by the 1950s the organ was falling to pieces.

By far the best recording by Pierre Cochereau of BWV565 was made in 1973, on the Philips label. I have both the vinyl and CD recording of this performance, and for me this represents the pinnacle of PCs abilities as a performer, and also the very best of the Notre Dame de Paris organ before all the changes made in 1992:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ti8f0GIGw

20 hours ago, contraviolone said:

That's quite an early recording by Pierre Cochereau though, before all the work carried out in the 1960s. I suppose from a historical perspective it is quite interesting, if only to prove that by the 1950s the organ was falling to pieces.

By far the best recording by Pierre Cochereau of BWV565 was made in 1973, on the Philips label. I have both the vinyl and CD recording of this performance, and for me this represents the pinnacle of PCs abilities as a performer, and also the very best of the Notre Dame de Paris organ before all the changes made in 1992:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ti8f0GIGw

Yes, it's the organ before the addition of the awful synthesizer-sounding chamades. We have a very different point of view. 
Of course the organ needed restoration, but I prefer the Aristide Cavaillé-Coll smooth sound of the 60s version to the plastic sound of the 70s 🙂