69 replies to this topic

#1 Neil Crawford

Neil Crawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

Ive heard but not sure if true. Canterbury Cathedral have awarded Harrison & Harrison the contract for a new organ in the Quire perhaps including original pipe work?

Also Manchester will getting a Ken Tickell organ.

Anyone got any news?

Regards

Neil

#2 iy45

iy45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

From the Manchester Cathedral News, July 2103:

"Organ Task Group
The Organ Task Group has recommended to Chapter that Tickell is the preferred organ builder for a new organ, and has received Chapter approval. Tickell will now be asked to enhance the design somewhat on issue of aesthetics. A visit to the Tickell workshop in Northampton is currently being arranged so that further discussions on case embellishments and structural issues can occur. Further conversations regarding the social outreach projects that could  be created around the new Cathedral organ are currently being worked through, with particular reference to children from deprived backgrounds."

Ian

#3 wolsey

wolsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Are not Harrison's and Canterbury Cathedral's websites the source of such information?

Ive heard but not sure if true. Canterbury Cathedral have awarded Harrison & Harrison the contract for a new organ in the Quire perhaps including original pipe work?

[...]

Anyone got any news?

#4 Neil Crawford

Neil Crawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

It looks like the rumor back in June is true and harrisons have been awarded the contract for  NEW 5M organ at Canterbury cathedral using some pipework from the Hill/Willis/Mander instrument. i believe this also may include a new 2 manual organ in the Nave. work to start 2014.

#5 Blackadder

Blackadder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

It looks like the rumor back in June is true and harrisons have been awarded the contract for  NEW 5M organ at Canterbury cathedral using some pipework from the Hill/Willis/Mander instrument. i believe this also may include a new 2 manual organ in the Nave. work to start 2014.

A five manual?!?  I hope so....

#6 sprondel

sprondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

A five manual?!?  I hope so....

Good to hear that things seem to move on in Canterbury.

Only one question, provocative perhaps: Who needs all those manuals in an organ with electric action, where it should be no problem to assign and re-assign keyboards and divisions by pressing the stepper?

Best,

Friedrich

#7 John Robinson

John Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Location:I am a missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

Only one question, provocative perhaps: Who needs all those manuals in an organ with electric action, where it should be no problem to assign and re-assign keyboards and divisions by pressing the stepper?

Best,

Friedrich

One-upmanship?  A bit like Atlantic City.

#8 pcnd5584

pcnd5584

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

Best,

Friedrich

For one thing, this will place a greater burden on the memory of the player. ('Now where did I transfer the Secondary G.O.?') This may be manageable when one is simply sitting at the console, perhaps during a sermon - but it is not something I should want to have to worry about whilst playing the last movement of Vierne's Sixième Symphonie, for example.

In addition, if (for example) you were thinking of only having a three-clavier console, controlling five manual divisions, this could both complicate registration and restrict the ability to produce contrasting effects, again for example.

In any case, I have encountered more faulty steppers * and sequencers on cathedral organs in this country, than any other faulty console or action component . They can also take a very long time to set up - and again, the possibility of making an error is increased.

* I cite but three examples as an illustration.:

1) York Minster (c.1995). It has in all probability been fixed now - but it was exceedingly unreliable when I played there during that summer - when the system was fairly new.

2) Gloucester Cathedral (At the opening recital, January 2000). I know this was faulty - I was turning pages for DJB. Again, it was a new system. During Franck's Deuxième Choral, the stepper decided (unbidden) to return to an earlier channel (or level). DJB managed superbly to play from memory, whilst riffling back through the score, in order to ascertain on which level he had set this piece.

3) Chester Cathedral. This summer (2013). Apparently, this sequencer is so unreliable, those of us playing this otherwise wonderful instrument were advised strongly to leave it well alone. (In any case, it is not as if this instrument is under-supplied with divisional or general pistons.)

Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

#9 sprondel

sprondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

For one thing, this will place a greater burden on the memory of the player. ('Now where did I transfer the Secondary G.O.?') This may be manageable when one is simply sitting at the console, perhaps during a sermon - but it is not something I should want to have to worry about whilst playing the last movement of Vierne's Sixième Symphonie, for example.

In addition, if (for example) you were thinking of only having a three-clavier console, controlling five manual divisions, this could both complicate registration and restrict the ability to produce contrasting effects, again for example.

I was more thinking of a more traditional English four-manual standard layout with Choir, Great, Swell and Solo on I, II, III and IV, and everything else floating (probably some Positiv and a nave division). Should that not do for almost everything that was required at Canterbury? In a special situation as that, even with five manuals you would have some divisions floating, at least the nave organ.

As for Vierne, would re-assigning divisions not make it in fact easier to play music that was based on a overall three-manual standard with GO, Pos and Récit on I, II and III? Of course the resources of an English cathedral-style organ a different from that of a French c. 1900 one, but would you really need to re-orchestrate as much as to have five manuals at your disposition all the time?

About unreliable steppers, of course that’s most annoying, but perhaps also a bit besides the point – sorry I brought that up. It was just to say that I thought life could be simpler for people with shorter arms, and a console might look less like “I have all that too!”. There are of course plenty of ways how to reliably re-assign divisions in a solid-state console.

Best,

Friedrich

#10 firstrees

firstrees

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

In quick searches, I’ve found nowt on either the Cathedral’s or H&H’s websites.

Could this “NEW 5M organ” actually be a form of shorthand for “New, £5,000,000 organ”  ?

#11 pcnd5584

pcnd5584

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

... As for Vierne, would re-assigning divisions not make it in fact easier to play music that was based on a overall three-manual standard with GO, Pos and Récit on I, II and III? Of course the resources of an English cathedral-style organ a different from that of a French c. 1900 one, but would you really need to re-orchestrate as much as to have five manuals at your disposition all the time? ...

Best,

Friedrich

I was thinking in terms of the necessary mental agility of having to keep playing this fairly demanding piece, and think about from which keyboard various divisions were currently residing - not in terms of whether this would be a suitable way of registering this movement.

#12 pcnd5584

pcnd5584

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

In quick searches, I’ve found nowt on either the Cathedral’s or H&H’s websites.

Could this “NEW 5M organ” actually be a form of shorthand for “New, £5,000,000 organ”  ?

It could, although this would be rather expensive - even by Harrisons' standards.

#13 Neil Crawford

Neil Crawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

5m means 5 manuals and NO you will not find any announcement as yet , word has come from H&H staff, work to start 2014.

#14 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

Interesting exercise - Design 5 manual Harrison Organ....

Violone 32, Gross Geigen 16, Double Claribel Flute 16, Open Diapason I, Open Diapason II, Geigen, Hohl Flute, Stopped Diapason, Quint 5 1/3, Octave, Geigen Principal, Wald Flute, Octave Quint, Super Octave, Harmonics 17.19.21.22, Mixture 15.19.22.26.29, Contra Tromba, Tromba, Trompette Harmonique, Octave Tromba....

etc....

:P

#15 pcnd5584

pcnd5584

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Interesting exercise - Design 5 manual Harrison Organ....

Violone 32, Gross Geigen 16, Double Claribel Flute 16, Open Diapason I, Open Diapason II, Geigen, Hohl Flute, Stopped Diapason, Quint 5 1/3, Octave, Geigen Principal, Wald Flute, Octave Quint, Super Octave, Harmonics 17.19.21.22, Mixture 15.19.22.26.29, Contra Tromba, Tromba Rompette Harmonique, Octave Tromba....

etc....

:P

Not too difficult really, is it....

The only pause for thought might be at the stage of the fifth clavier - should it be a Bombarde Organ, or perhaps an Echo Organ - or even a Celestial Organ....?

It will be interesting to see what the scheme looks like when it is published.

#16 madorganist

madorganist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

The original press release, some years ago, was talking of returning the chancel organ to 4m in the Willis style, and with a new 4m organ for the nave.

Has Dr Flood changed his mind? or has his budget been cut ?

#17 Neil Crawford

Neil Crawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think It will be a harrison organ first and foremost with pipe work with saving and revoiced with possibly a screen case also using the tryforiums. The nave organ may be a 2-3 manual with a duplicate nave console.

#18 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

If H&H are involved along with the staff at Canterbury one can be very confident of something musical and thoroughly sensible - one only has to look at St. David's, Bury St Edmunds, St Alban's etc. We are also expecting something rather good down here at Edington Priory from H&H fairly soon albeit at the other end of the scale.

A

"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

#19 Contrabombarde

Contrabombarde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

The only pause for thought might be at the stage of the fifth clavier - should it be a Bombarde Organ, or perhaps an Echo Organ - or even a Celestial Organ....?

Can't it be all of those..... :P ?

#20 pcnd5584

pcnd5584

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

Can't it be all of those..... :P ?

Now that is just greedy....

1 user(s) are reading this topic