Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Passing Of Noel Mander

MusingMuso

In offering my condolences to John Pike Mander on the death of his father Noel, I hope that he will know that many of us suffer a sense of loss at the passing of a great craftsman.

His legacy is not only the many fine organs he created or re-created, but also the Mander company as it is to-day; of which he must surely have approved and from which he must have derived much personal satisfaction and a sense of fulfilment.

May he rest in peace and may John and those who similarly mourn, find comfort.

With heartfelt sympathy,

Colin Mitchell

I met Noel Mander only once as an eighteen year old - undecided as to whether it would be better to go and do a music degree at the university where I had been accepted to study or become an organbuilder. He told me most emphatically to go and study music and then come later back if I wanted to become an organbuilder - I never did but the organ bug stuck - hence writing here and a large part of life since that interview. I still remember him sitting behind his desk in the office at St Peter's Organ Works as if it were last week! His importance in the sphere of organ building both as a craftsman as well as a man of vision and determination is well known, the time he gave me then was an example of his generosity and desire to see potential achieved in someone starting out on a career path. I too would like to offer condolences to John Pike Mander and his family.

AJJ

I, too, offer my deepest sympathy to John Pike Mander on the passing of his father, Noel Mander. I know of Mander organs only through this website and through recordings - most notably in the US that of St. Ignatius Loyola, New York City. The organ- and organbuilding-community has lost a true pioneer and master builder. Thankfully, his wonderful work continues in the hands of his son, John Pike Mander.

For Noel Mander, grant him eternal rest, and may light perpetual shine upon him.

David Minton

Louisville, KY, USA

I would like to add my respects to the Mander family for their loss. Mr. Mander, senior, was a great organbuilder and we are all of us the poorer for his passing. He must have been deeply proud of his son's brilliant work in the years following his retirement.

May he rest in peace.

Karl Watson

The passing of Noel Mander is, without doubt, the end of an era. I sincerely hope that the firm of Mander Organs and the instruments they have built will live on for many years to come. Noel's greatest monument will, of course, be the beast in St. Paul's Cathedral, London

My condolences to John Mander and other friends & family of Noel.

Dave Harries

Guest Geoff McMahon

Thank you all very much for your kind notes in this discussion board. It is of course sad, but he had a very fulfilled and fulfilling life and went much the way he would have wanted to. He was active to the end. I saw him the day before and although clearly very tired and nearing the end, he was still mentally active and talking about two new books he had acquired about the east end of London for which he had a special fondness. He got up on Sunday last and made himself breakfast, washed up afterwards and wound up one of his grandfather clocks and died within 20 minutes of having done that, so he really was active till the last moment.

We had a quiet funeral on Thursday at the village where he lived using the Book of Common Prayer (1662) for the funeral service and Holy Communion just for the family and people from the village. There were about 80 people there and it was a very dignified service without music, as he requested.

Thank you all again,

John