Mander Organ Builders Forum

Looking For Some New Music To Work On

Philip

• 3 weeks later...

Dragging this back up, my music shop have told me that the Andriessen Thema met Variaties is now out of print! Has anyone bought one recently, and if so, from where? Any ideas of where I might track a copy down? Its not on Roger Molyneux's latest catalogue. Thanks in advance.

Guest Roffensis
I'm looking to expand my repertoire a little, with pieces which I can use after the main Sunday service, so I'm looking for something fairly grand-sounding, and at a fair volume most of the way through (as they do like to start chatting!). I'm not doing grades at all so I've no idea where I'd be at - based on what is said about other pieces I'd guess about Grade 6 but thats not set in stone. If it sounds more difficult than it really is - even better.

To give some idea of what I'm already doing, I regularly roll out things like the Lang Tuba Tune, Dubois Marche-Sortie, Mathias Processional and Rutter's Toccata in Seven. I also use a fair few transcriptions, so this Sunday they're getting the Verdi Grand March, with other such items including the Trumpet Voluntary, Te Deum Prelude and War March of the Priests, while I also throw in a few more amusing pieces from time to time - the Dambusters March went down well a couple of months ago! This isn't exhaustive - its just to give an indication of the sort of thing I play at the moment. I'd be looking for similar pieces or maybe things slightly beyond these. I've recently bought Durufle's Fugue sur la theme de... which is one of things I'm working on. I don't particularly want anything which will be a massive project though.

I've recently come across the Leighton Paean and listened to it - any advice on whether that might be suitable?

Any other suggestions for suitable additions of 'good' music which isn't tremendously difficult?

Flor Peeters'-Largo? Great fun to play, as you would discover :P and how about Jongen's Choral, short and concise, and very beautiful indeed. With Holy Week on the horizon, how about the Lament by Harvey Grace? Little played, but a gem.

To really surprise people, Aaron Copland Episode!

R

Dragging this back up, my music shop have told me that the Andriessen Thema met Variaties is now out of print! Has anyone bought one recently, and if so, from where? Any ideas of where I might track a copy down? Its not on Roger Molyneux's latest catalogue. Thanks in advance.

Local music shops are notorious for saying things are out of print when they're not - it's happened to me many times only to find what I.m looking for on line.

P

Flor Peeters'-Largo? Great fun to play, as you would discover :P and how about Jongen's Choral, short and concise, and very beautiful indeed. With Holy Week on the horizon, how about the Lament by Harvey Grace? Little played, but a gem.

To really surprise people, Aaron Copland Episode!

R

What about the Jongen Minuet Scherzo. Requires some careful synchronisation, but has some lovely lyrical passages and a light touch. I often play it alongside the Chant de Mai, during May (obviously). Picture crisp spring sunshine, cherry blossom, and a light white wine, and you're along the right track.

AJS

...but seriously...

JS Bach's Fugue in B minor on two themes by Corelli is well worth looking at. It's one of those 'I'll look at it one day' pieces that one sadly never hears played. Not difficult, perhaps a little sombre. Maybe useful during Lent ?

I have a recording of Daniel Chorzempa playing it at Arlesheim, simply registered with 8 4 & 2 Principals and appropriate Pedal. Stunning. Unequal temperament helps...

H

... my music shop have told me that the Andriessen Thema met Variaties is now out of print! Has anyone bought one recently, and if so, from where? Any ideas of where I might track a copy down?

Hello,

once more my standard dealer in Germany (http://www.bodensee-musikversand.de) has one in stock. It is published by Herman Zengerink Muziekuitgeverij, Utrecht.

Cheers

tiratutti

Welcome to the board, Vox Angelica. Are you tuned flat or sharp to the unison, incidentally?

B)

Flat. Alas, in keeping with my singing voice.

As regards to being told that an item is "out of print" - I've been told this by many an internet music store regarding Sweet Sixteenths by Albright - only to eventually find it in the current UMP catalogue.

I note you mentioned you haven't time for a "big project" - how about looking through some of the shorter works of Reger, Dubois, Gigout, Vierne, Mulet, Bonnet or Langlais?

Reger is actually at his best in short pieces, which can be as demanding as the giant chorale fantasias but at least you won't have to drive yourself as hard (or for as long a time) in order to master them! The 12 pieces published by Edition Peters are definitely worth a try.

As for the French folk: their works all include charming little "cahier-style" books of short pieces (e.g. Dubois 12 Pieces, Gigout 10 Pieces, Vierne 24 Pieces en style libre, Langlais 24 Pieces) including a fair few famous numbers (e.g. Dubois Toccata in G, Gigout Toccata in B minor, Mulet "Tu es Petra") which are often to be found available separately - but it is well worth splashing out on the collections they come from, as there are many other gems besides.

As for the French folk: their works all include charming little "cahier-style" books of short pieces (e.g. Dubois 12 Pieces, Gigout 10 Pieces, Vierne 24 Pieces en style libre, Langlais 24 Pieces) including a fair few famous numbers (e.g. Dubois Toccata in G, Gigout Toccata in B minor, Mulet "Tu es Petra") which are often to be found available separately - but it is well worth splashing out on the collections they come from, as there are many other gems besides.

These recommendations are all fine; however, the trouble with the music of 'the French folk' is that it's so expensive that you'll need to feel fully justified in having a splash-out on these works. Having downloaded an organ catalogue from UMP, I see that Dubois' 12 Pièces will set you back £45.99; Gigout's 10 Pièces, £39.99; and the two books comprising Vierne's 24 Pièces en style libre (ed. D.Sanger & J.Laukvik), £57.98. Langlais' 24 Pièces (in two books) seem the best value at £32.98. Those contemplating Mulet's Tu es Petra at £20.99 would be better off buying the complete book of ten Esquisses Byzantines costing £37.99.

I'm very fond of Robert Schumann's organ music for Organ/Pedal piano. Henle do a good urtext edition of the Canonic Studies, Sketches and BACH Fugues in one volume. A good starting place is the first BACH fugue and the 5th canonic study is good fun too. The music, especially the fugues, is beautifully written and very satisfying to play. However, much of it is really quite difficult - the 4th fugue requires stretches of a tenth in both hands and has a host of interpretation difficulties and questions.

Guest Echo Gamba
These recommendations are all fine; however, the trouble with the music of 'the French folk' is that it's so expensive that you'll need to feel fully justified in having a splash-out on these works. Having downloaded an organ catalogue from UMP, I see that Dubois' 12 Pièces will set you back £45.99; Gigout's 10 Pièces, £39.99; and the two books comprising Vierne's 24 Pièces en style libre (ed. D.Sanger & J.Laukvik), £57.98. Langlais' 24 Pièces (in two books) seem the best value at £32.98. Those contemplating Mulet's Tu es Petra at £20.99 would be better off buying the complete book of ten Esquisses Byzantines costing £37.99.

Or, if you are lucky, you might find what you want for free - for example...

Or, if you are lucky, you might find what you want for free - for example...

The below address might also be helpful...

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Dubois%2C_Th%C3%A9odore

I certainly recommend the Mulet Esquisses Byzantines - 'Rosace' in particular is worth learning - of particular shimmering beauty.

Indeed, just why is French music so expensive? I can sort of understand it is pre-EU days but now....?

Peter

My understanding is that in the UK we are not allowed to buy music direct from French publishers such as Leduc, Hammelle &c., so we must buy it via UMP, hence the prices because two firms have to make a profit. I know of at least one church music music retailer who has been protesting against this and trying to get it changed for a long time. When buying a lot of music it may well be cheaper to go to Paris and buy it there.

I gather the French also have some rather curious ideas on when a copyright expires - such as saying that the war years don't count!

If anyone has a different understanding of the situation I am open to correction.

Malcolm

I gather the French also have some rather curious ideas on when a copyright expires - such as saying that the war years don't count!

And on those killed in the war. They are keen to get Alains' copyright pushed to 100 years because he was killed* in the war!

And on those killed in the war. They are keen to get Alains' copyright pushed to 100 years because he was killed* in the war!

I for one wouldn't be quite so frustrated about the high prices of French editions if it weren't for the ridiculously terrible paper it is often printed on.

Thankfully, when it comes to composers such as Dupre, a few of the most expensive works (such as the Sept Pieces) are available as reprints.