Mander Organ Builders Forum

John Gardner - The Holly and the Ivy

mrbouffant

Found this on YouTube - might be fun for 9 Lessons.. Anyone done it before?...

Wow! That brought back memories....I did that as a boy in a concert somewhere. Can't remember where though it would have been somewhere in or around Salisbury. I do remember being told over and over again not to speed up though!!!!

Wow! That brought back memories....I did that as a boy in a concert somewhere. Can't remember where though it would have been somewhere in or around Salisbury. I do remember being told over and over again not to speed up though!!!!

Remember doing it as a teenager....introduced it at school a couple of years ago, whole school sang it in the carol service, complete with the echos...surprisingly we didn't have too many "choir..oir..oir"'s in the final performance!...Brave or mad?

Remember doing it as a teenager....introduced it at school a couple of years ago, whole school sang it in the carol service, complete with the echos...surprisingly we didn't have too many "choir..oir..oir"'s in the final performance!...Brave or mad?

A terrific setting which I tried to introduce to my own choir but it was met with a surprising degree of derision. Maybe I should be firmer. Anyway, ignore the negative feedback on the YouTube video and go for it if you can get away with it! Gardner's setting of Tomorrow Shall be My Dancing Day is equally effective and just as much fun.

Peter

Found this on YouTube - might be fun for 9 Lessons.. Anyone done it before?...

The first school's choir and their parents sang it a few years back. Faster than this, which I recommend.

It was also the 2nd carol at the first 9L&C's with a choir after many years without one. Made the congregation sit up.

It needs a "Yee-ha!" at the end. :lol:

**digression alert**

Does anyone else have a sermon at a 9L&C's? Give him his due, it's the shortest sermon of the year, but still.... :)

[quote name='ick1508'

**digression alert**

Does anyone else have a sermon at a 9L&C's? Give him his due, it's the shortest sermon of the year, but still.... :)

Yes, in my last post (Holy Trinity, Hull) the vicar insisted on preaching at the 'Nine' Lessons. He also insisted on choosing several 'songs' that would be unfamiliar to visitors, and to trump that anti-social attitude - if one could - at the last one I was there, he'd chosen all-new readings that didn't even tell the story properly. I've been going to Carol Services for 50 years or so, and I'd never heard one of those readings before. I'm not against hearing new scripture, but people need to be able to find a few constant things in this world and a CofE Carol Service ought to be one of those things in my opinion. This service gives real comfort to many, many people.

What they need if they come to your Carol Service is to find the church welcoming and the fare broadly traditional and attractive - thought-provoking as well if you like. The whole point is, do this service well and the floating voters may return over Christmas. By all means preach at them then, with a 'dig deep' sermon if you absolutely must.

There's currently quite a discussion going on in another forum about God's Local Representatives:

http://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=44336

What they need if they come to your Carol Service is to find the church welcoming and the fare broadly traditional and attractive - thought-provoking as well if you like. The whole point is, do this service well and the floating voters may return over Christmas. By all means preach at them then, with a 'dig deep' sermon if you absolutely must.

As ever, I couldn't agree more. Best wishes everyone.

**digression alert**

Hi

Yes - and why not. It's often the only time that many people darken the door of the church, and I like to try and give them something to think about regarding the reality of Christmas rather than the traditional commercial accretions and myths.

Over the years I've had some pretty telling comments, lie "I didn't realize that Christmas and Easter are linked"!!!

Any sermon at a carol service needs to be reaso0nably short and,above all, relevant. For the past couple of years, we've done 2 - one in each church, but with many of the same congregation at one to support the smaller congregation - at least this year I only need one sermon - the other is being preached by one of the senior figures in the Baptist Church, who just happens to have been brought up at one of our churches, and is home for Christmas.

I also include some more contemporary & less familiar hymns & songs - but OTOH, we do try and ensure that all the well-known carols are sung at least one in a service during the Christmas season - that's important to some people. The only exception I made to this was a few years ago when Bethlehem was virtually under seige, so I didn't use "O Little Town" - but did explain why as a focus for prayer. Amazingly, there were no complaints!

Every Blessing

Tony

[quote name='ick1508'

**digression alert**

Hah! That's the trouble with the church; they try to bring religion into everything! :lol:

Guest Patrick Coleman
**digression alert**

A well constructed service should speak for itself. I am tempted to suggest that people who think they have to say something need to read today's Gospel passage again... and probably again... :lol:

A terrific setting which I tried to introduce to my own choir but it was met with a surprising degree of derision. Maybe I should be firmer. Anyway, ignore the negative feedback on the YouTube video and go for it if you can get away with it! Gardner's setting of Tomorrow Shall be My Dancing Day is equally effective and just as much fun.

Peter

Another piece worth looking is Tell out the news - Jan Holdstock - it's for junior voices - three parts - all comes together very well - fairly straightforward.