NEH v Common Praise hymn books

OmegaConsort

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
On 16/09/2015 at 09:54, Richard Fairhurst said:

As a very belated followup to this topic, would-be purchasers of hymnbooks might be interested to learn that a new version, the Revised English Hymnal, is in preparation. Publication is expected in 2017.

Latest release date is 31st July 2023!

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, sbarber49 said:

Now 29th September 2023

Beyond ridiculous.

Amazon is now displaying this date, but the dedicated Revised English Hymnal website is still saying end of July!

The Canterbury Press website says β€œafter 30/06/2023” (well, I suppose that strictly speaking 20th September *is* after 30th June …).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It may finally be happening:

https://reh.hymnsam.co.uk/what-is-being-published/

Revised English Hymnal will be launched on Wednesday 29thΒ November 2023.

Come SingΒ Revised English HymnalΒ will include congregational singing of a selection from the new hymnal followed by a drinks reception.

Wednesday 29thΒ November 2023, 6pm-9pm.Β  St James Church, Sussex Gardens, Paddington London W2 3UD

RSVP Β to Michael AddisonΒ michael@hymnsam.co.ukΒ by Wednesday 22ndΒ November 2023.

All are welcome but capacity is restricted to the first 250 respondents. Β Β 

The Full Music edition will be available for sale on the night.

Β 

10 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

The Langlais appears to have gone, sadly.

???

10 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

(But what's with mangling the last couplet of "Hark, what a sound" in the sampler? The dread hand of "Editors" strikes again...)

Sigh.

I had the impression that this edition was going to undo some of the unnecessary editorial fidgeting seen in the New English Hymnal.

Clive James is good on β€œfidget”:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6368477.stm

Ironic that the original English Hymnal made a point (unusually at that date) of restoring authors’ original texts.

The original contents list, still on the REH website, had "God, your glory we have seen" which is sung to a rather striking tune by Langlais - it's in the 70s New Catholic Hymnal which is full of neglected wonders (including "In manas tuas", probably my favourite Howells hymn tune; and Michael Dawney's "Felinfoel", for "See, Christ was wounded for our sake").

But unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made it into the final REH selection.

4 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

The original contents list, still on the REH website, had "God, your glory we have seen" which is sung to a rather striking tune by Langlais - it's in the 70s New Catholic Hymnal which is full of neglected wonders (including "In manas tuas", probably my favourite Howells hymn tune; and Michael Dawney's "Felinfoel", for "See, Christ was wounded for our sake").

But unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made it into the final REH selection.

Thanks, Richard - our postings crossed in the, um... post! Is there any means of seeing this tune apart from via the New Catholic Hymnal?Β 

Here you go. It's otherwise out-of-print as far as I can tell.

image.thumb.png.2244efcff5b066be0e8212205379cbc5.png

(If you can find a full music edition of NCH I would strongly recommend it. Like the Cambridge Hymnal from the same era, it's an attempt to do something "properly musical" while still appealing to the congregation. It seems a shame that modern hymn books have become rather conservative musically - perhaps best exemplified by NEH/REH compared to the culture shock of the original English Hymnal.)

4 minutes ago, Martin Cooke said:

Thanks, Richard - our postings crossed in the, um... post! Is there any means of seeing this tune apart from via the New Catholic Hymnal?Β 

Gosh! I'm struggling to find much reference to The New Catholic Hymnal online - just the occasional melody edition. From Richard's post, it sounds as though one needs one urgently for the Langlais tune and the Howells... at the very least. Something on the Hyperion site says that HH wrote two tunes for the NCH in 1968. Richard - any chance you could just clarify what tunes these are and if they are published/included elsewhere?

They're "Norfolk" to "With wonder, Lord, we see your works"; and "In manus tuas" to "This world, my God, is held within your hand". Neither published elsewhere as far as I know.

Published Howells hymn tunes are:

• 'Michael' obviously - there's a Howells-written descant in English Praise
  • 'Love Divine' (Church Music Society booklet, still in print)
  • 'St Briavels' (1925 edition of Songs of Praise;Β scans exist online)
  • 'Severn' (1931 edition of Songs of Praise, replaced St Briavels; scans exist online)
  • 'Salisbury' (NEH, REH, Hymns for Church and School 1962)
  • 'Sancta civitas' (AMNS, REH, Hymns for Church and School 1962)
  • 'Erwin' (Cambridge Hymnal, may be available as a custom offprint)
  • 'Kensington' (REH, Methodist Hymns & Songs, may be available as a custom offprint)
  • 'In manus tuas' (NCH)
  • 'Norfolk' (NCH)
  • 'Twigworth' (Hymns for Church and School 1962, Methodist Hymns & Songs, may be available as a custom offprint)
  • 'Newnham' (REH, Hymns for Church and School 1962, Rejoice in the Lord)

There are apparently half a dozen unpublished tunes. I've seen a couple of them which are not massively interesting other than for the completist (guilty as charged). There's a list at page 126 ofΒ http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/2860/1/2860_945.pdf.

10 minutes ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

Something very different, and rather splendid, Welsh chapel or very large male choirs at the RAH: Arwel Hughes’ wonderful β€œTydi, a Roddaist”, No 364, in both Welsh and English. Β  There is much else of course, but this stood out as the most surprising new entry.Β 

Pity they chose the wrong tune for Dyma gariad fel y moroedd πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

8 minutes ago, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

Pity they chose the wrong tune for Dyma gariad fel y moroedd πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Maybe Rowan Williams, who knows a thing or two about hymns, music, and Welsh, has a different opinion.