Mander Organ Builders Forum

NEH v Common Praise hymn books

OmegaConsort

24 minutes ago, Rowland Wateridge said:

Something very different, and rather splendid, Welsh chapel or very large male choirs at the RAH: Arwel Hughes’ wonderful “Tydi, a Roddaist”, No 364, in both Welsh and English.   There is much else of course, but this stood out as the most surprising new entry. 

It was in 'New English Praise' too - one of a handful of rather splendid tunes first selected for that volume. Tertius Noble's 'Ora Labora' ("Come, labour on") is another, and Maurice Bevan's 'Corvedale'.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

So it is! I have Laudate on the shelf and had never spotted that. Thank you.

You are very welcome!  I have to say that having used Laudate for many years now, I have never been called upon to play Langlais' hymn tune - but at least it is there! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/11/2023 at 20:16, Dafydd y Garreg Wen said:

It may finally be happening:

https://reh.hymnsam.co.uk/what-is-being-published/

Revised English Hymnal will be launched on Wednesday 29th November 2023.

Come Sing Revised English Hymnal will include congregational singing of a selection from the new hymnal followed by a drinks reception.

Wednesday 29th November 2023, 6pm-9pm.  St James Church, Sussex Gardens, Paddington London W2 3UD

RSVP  to Michael Addison michael@hymnsam.co.uk by Wednesday 22nd November 2023.

All are welcome but capacity is restricted to the first 250 respondents.   

The Full Music edition will be available for sale on the night.

Has anyone got a copy yet? I ordered it, years ago, from Amazon. Last week they told me it was coming before 11 pm on Friday, but now say it's currently unavailable!

58 minutes ago, sbarber49 said:

Has anyone got a copy yet? I ordered it, years ago, from Amazon. Last week they told me it was coming before 11 pm on Friday, but now say it's currently unavailable!

I had the same thing - then suddenly changed to an estimated delivery of 21st December! I am assured from sources that stocks are making their way from the printers this week for distribution...

7 hours ago, timothyguntrip said:

I had the same thing - then suddenly changed to an estimated delivery of 21st December! I am assured from sources that stocks are making their way from the printers this week for distribution...

🤣🤣🤣

No sign of my copy either yet, which I ordered over three years ago (not from Amazon). My comfort is that I only paid £23 for it.

UPDATE NOVEMBER 2023: Thank you so much for your patience and understanding whilst the Revised English Hymnal has been in editorial stages. The full music edition is now at the printer - stock is expected in our warehouse on 5th and 6th December. Of course, all back orders will be despatched first class. 

We know that many people are looking forward to seeing REH. We share this excitement and look forward to sharing this wonderful new hymnal with you very shortly. Thank you.

LAUNCH EVENT: thanks to all who joined us on the 29th November 2023 at St James, Paddington, London. 
We hope to release a film of the event very shortly.

https://reh.hymnsam.co.uk/

Well you are all much more patient and trusting than me. I similarly ordered from Amazon and got an email today to say my order had been cancelled.

Call me cynical, but I suspect the fact Amazon guaranteed it would hold the price at the time I ordered (£26.40) and this is now way short of the RRP of £35 may have something to do with the sudden cancellation.

I was losing interest with all the delays anyway, so I shan't bother to order it now. I can't see I will use it much anyway.

A shame for the publishers, but the extent of delay has been frankly ridiculous and has never really been explained properly (and that comes from someone who works in publishing!).

Not a hymn book, but I had a book pre-ordered on Amazon for delivery in October.  When the due date came, they said it was not available and they could not give me a date.  I'd had this on other books and the delivery had then appeared within days.  But this time it stayed in this state, and when I realised it was in stock everywhere, and going to the Amazon page for it showed it as available from Amazon, it was clear they were not going to sort it out - so I cancelled the order, and reordered elsewhere (at a higher price, of course...). 

The idea that this is deliberate because they don't want to fulfil their promise of the lower price seems realistic, I fear.

Paul

18 hours ago, Philip said:

Call me cynical, but I suspect the fact Amazon guaranteed it would hold the price at the time I ordered (£26.40) and this is now way short of the RRP of £35 may have something to do with the sudden cancellation.

I'm sure that's right, though it hadn't occurred to me. You can't really blame them, I suppose, they can't have expected such a lengthy delay. They haven't been very honest about it, though, and it's not as if they don't make plenty of money out of us all!