Mander Organ Builders Forum

Interesting bits and pieces

Martin Cooke

1. Forumites might like attention their drawn to videos on the H&H website of Andrew Scott showing off some of the new and newly-installed pipework at Canterbury Cathedral.  See here and again here.

2. And if you haven't already visited the site, amongst other things, you can see the new Canterbury console here.

3. Meanwhile, the RCO, through its iRCO site have produced and published 8 excellent films aimed at prospective organ scholars which are full of interest and very educational for all. Thoroughly recommended.

4. OUP have flagged up some interesting new publications and some reprints. So there is to be a second volume of Ceremonial Music edited by Robert Gower - to be published in August, and then some music by John Rutter and David Bednall + some other bits and bobs- all of which, I think, are single copies of late 20th century items - eg Mathias Processional and Rutter Toccata in Seven. All info here.

5. FInally, some interesting changes with the major digital organ firms - Richard Copeland has joined Makin, Richard Goodall has moved from Makin to Viscount, and Jeremy Meager who was Managing Director of Viscount Organs has set up his own firm - http://www.cotswoldorgans.co.uk/. And Wyvern, on their recently updated website, are also just promulgating some interesting looking new Hauptwerk consoles.

Thanks for sharing those links in the Canterbury pipework: very interesting. Going to be a fabulous instrument and I wonder who will do the opening concert. On another note (pun not intended) I am glad not to be working on it: I don't have much of a head for heights!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, indeed - the video links featuring the Canterbury Cathedral organ are very interesting. It sounds as if it is going to be an exciting and versatile instrument by the time that it is completed. Thank you for posting these links, Martin.

4 hours ago, pcnd5584 said:

Yes, indeed - the video links featuring the Canterbury Cathedral organ are very interesting. It sounds as if it is going to be an exciting and versatile instrument by the time that it is completed. Thank you for posting these links, Martin.

Indeed - and fingers crossed that the opening recital is to feature a major new work on 'Shine, Jesus, shine'! 

Yes! Thank you for the links Martin!!

................................................... and, of course, remembering that the instrument's primary function is to accompany the liturgies of the Cathedral.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether there is a link to a photograph of the new console loft at Canterbury Cathedral, please? I have tried an Internet search, but nothing useful has cropped-up, so far. It would be interesting to see what it looks like in the North Quire Aisle. The new console is certainly a handsome piece of work; and the walnut (?) is a refreshing change from the more usual oak.

Hello PCND - good to see that you have burst into life in many postings over the last few hours. I have been in touch with H&H about the possibility of such a photo and apparently the area is still in scaffolding or something that means a photo just yet would not show things at their best. I much look forward to seeing it and agree about the new look console. The whole project is very exciting and interesting and we must hope that it will improve from an organ point of view. I am nor sure whether plans that I think were mooted some years ago for a free-standing nave organ have been abandoned altogether. Speaking of nave organs - it is interesting, if slightly geeky, to note that H&H have renamed some of the stops on the existing nave division. 

• 1 month later...