Mander Organ Builders Forum

Honours

Martin Cooke

Would have thought that just being selected to provide the music would have been a sufficient accolade.  " honours " are merely political inventions,nothing more, nothing less.

What does one do with a gong anyway?     Wear it when you pop out to Tesco perhaps?

I realise that these things are not everyone's cup of tea, but if 'involvement' in these things is enough of an honour, then so be it. But in this case, it appears - and I may well be wrong - that people other than the musicians have been given something and the musicians have been left out. That is my point - and it's not unusual. Whether we like the system or not, people in all walks of life get these awards, but people at the top of their game in music don't seem to be rewarded in the same way as others.

All fair comment here on this somewhat contentious issue.

I think it best if we back off the issue really since it is no more than a sticking record.

I will just finish by saying I think that the whole matter has always been fuelled by politics and courting popularity; a twin headed beast fed on a diet of cronyism and clout.

I reckon most of us on this forum, and within wider society, have all paid our dues in full into the domestic trough, which is sufficient enough reason  to " gong " us ; but , there we go.l

Just hope I don`t get banned for my doggrel!

As a final diversion, I have to say that I am most impressed with the cd of Rochdale town Hall and the marvellous playing of one of  Our Members -   I nominate DB for a gong

..........TAXI!.................

5 hours ago, Adnosad said:

All fair comment here on this somewhat contentious issue.

I think it best if we back off the issue really since it is no more than a sticking record.

I will just finish by saying I think that the whole matter has always been fuelled by politics and courting popularity; a twin headed beast fed on a diet of cronyism and clout.

I reckon most of us on this forum, and within wider society, have all paid our dues in full into the domestic trough, which is sufficient enough reason  to " gong " us ; but , there we go.l

Just hope I don`t get banned for my doggrel!

As a final diversion, I have to say that I am most impressed with the cd of Rochdale town Hall and the marvellous playing of one of  Our Members -   I nominate DB for a gong

..........TAXI!.................

A marvelous recording, and sound wise... its up there with the best

I believe a “gong” has precedent as a novelty stop. Perhaps that might be something more aspirational and realistic.

It might possibly open up “gongs for cash” which might be something that could get publicity, eg “we failed to get our dedicated long serving civic organist recognised in the honours for a gong so we bought one for the organ in recognition.”

I think I’ve seen somewhere that a cymbelstern can be added for under £5k but I might be mistaken.

On 10/06/2021 at 23:38, Martin Cooke said:

A shame there doesn't appear to be anything for the musicians. 

Dame Imogen Cooper.  OBE for Julian Lloyd Webber.

And surely they're actually the Queen's birthday honours.

Paul

EDIT - Oh, you mean at the funeral...

There are a few awards to local musicians otherwise unknown to me, but I did pick up that Julian Lloyd-Webber has been awarded OBE (‘Cellist, for services to music’) and Noel Tredinnick ‘Medallist of the Order of the British Empire’.

I see Paul Hodges just got in first with Julian Lloyd-Webber.  I guess S_L should be pleased about that!  (These are, indeed, from the Queen’s Birthday Honours List.  I think comments above have extended the thread to include these.)

Also on the list are:

Rick Wakeman who, amongst all his other musical achievements, is also an organist
Samuel Thompson - For services to Gaelic Choral Music
Robert Yarr - For services to Church Choral Music in Ballinderry Parish Church