Mander Organ Builders Forum

Martin How

Martin belonged to a time when the RSCM Commissioners were able to visit individual churches and give encouragement and support and he came to my churches several times over the years. He was a superb motivator and trainer of boy singers and I have many happy memories of singing with, and occasionally accompanying, the Southern Cathedral Singers. A lovely person and a fine musician.

It's possible that not all forumites are aware that Church Organ World published a volume of music, Martin How at 90 last year - a range of recent compositions by Martin. I can't say that I have played every piece, but those that I have used have been excellent - mostly pre-Evensong material. See here for details. And if anyone hasn't yet come across his Gospel Colours - (three volumes of short pieces) - these, again, are very worthwhile, and are RSCM publications. 

11 hours ago, Andrew Butler said:

Who was it who described him as "The finest cathedral organist we never had" ?

I've heard that said of a number of players!!

May he rest in peace.

1 hour ago, Martin Cooke said:

It's possible that not all forumites are aware that Church Organ World published a volume of music, Martin How at 90 last year - a range of recent compositions by Martin. I can't say that I have played every piece, but those that I have used have been excellent - mostly pre-Evensong material. See here for details. And if anyone hasn't yet come across his Gospel Colours - (three volumes of short pieces) - these, again, are very worthwhile, and are RSCM publications. 

I always found Martin's music to be well crafted and appropriate.

Hi

Martin's is a name I'd heard but know little about him, not having had much to do with the RSCM, having worked mainly in free churches with no choirs.

However, I'm playing at my local Parish Church the next couple of Sundays (St Mark, Bilton, RUGBY).  I had an e-mail from the choir co-ordinator last night suggesting we sing Martin How's "Day by Day" as an anthem in his memory, and could I accompany it?  A fitting memorial.

Looks reasonably straightforward, so hopefully that will go ahead.  I gather that the service is live streamed starting around 9:50 (and I'm told the live stream includes both voluntaries!

On 28/07/2022 at 09:29, Tony Newnham said:

Hi

Martin's is a name I'd heard but know little about him, not having had much to do with the RSCM, having worked mainly in free churches with no choirs.

However, I'm playing at my local Parish Church the next couple of Sundays (St Mark, Bilton, RUGBY).  I had an e-mail from the choir co-ordinator last night suggesting we sing Martin How's "Day by Day" as an anthem in his memory, and could I accompany it?  A fitting memorial.

Looks reasonably straightforward, so hopefully that will go ahead.  I gather that the service is live streamed starting around 9:50 (and I'm told the live stream includes both voluntaries!

The RSCM Millennium Youth Choir sang it as an introit at evensong on Wednesday at Winchester Cathedral as a tribute to Martin. The RSCM has posted their practice of it earlier that day as the organisation's tribute to him.